• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, that was... intense.

If you listen closely you can hear him telling himself to "do your job". **** me that must have been hard.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
RIP Hughesy... From all accounts one of the most genuinely nice guys in the cricketing circuit.. Nice guys are taken away from us way way too early :( Wish and Pray that his family and friends find the strength to cope with this.. Wish Sean Abbott the best too and hope he can recover from this shock... And wish all the players and others involved and affected the strength to cope and deal with such a loss..

Back in school, when we were playing a fun game with multiple matches happening n the same ground, there was one match where they were using an actual cricket ball.. Rest of us were playing with the hard tennis balls.. And my friend who was fielding midwicket in our game happened to be where forward short leg would have been in the cricket ball game and got hit flush round about the same area Hughes was hit.. He was in pain and we gave some ice and thankfully he was better and was actually able to play the rest of our game.. But incidents like this make me feel how a matter of millimeters can make or break a life :( ONe of the most tragic days in cricket history :(

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't see the point of it

Nobody was calling for it, and the poor bloke clearly wasn't up to it
I'm sure he felt obliged to if nothing else for the family. I think he'll be proud of his courage looking back on it.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
making a post elsewhere but thought I should bring this across for...I dunno, discussion? Something to remember?
Following his 13 Ashes dropping, I calculated that Hughes and Ponting had remarkably similar records at the age. Hughes would have been 24 and a half at that point, and I worked out that Ponting at 24 and a half had also played 20 odd matches, had also a mid 30s average and also had 3 tons. I'm surprised nobody in the media ever noticed that, and hasn't given it a run
(also Australia lost a lot of matches Hughes played in. 12 out of 26. that didn't help him nail a spot. gotta look like you're taking action after a loss... and yes hughes sucked in those matches. but still)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I bought The Times yesterday. Not my usual rag, but I wanted to read Gideon Haigh's piece on Philip Hughes.
It was, as I expected, a super piece of writing. Articulate, sensitive, and generally spot on. As was Mike Atherton's piece in the same paper. The paper's reference to Adam Gilchrist's tweet about Sean Abbott only added to collective excellence of the cricket section.
Then I turned to the letters page, and it seems the retired generals have been out in force. One old git opined that helmets should be banned as that would force batsmen to get their heads out of the way. Another suggested that a line should be drawn across the pitch, with any balls pitching before it being called as no-balls, with persistent offenders being withdrawn from the attack - which, apart from various other arguments, does rather ignore that all batsmen and bowlers are not the same height. And finally some ignorant turd tried to link Hughes' death with Australia's aggressive approach to the last Ashes. Real classy stuff. Now I know there are plenty of idiots out there who might hold these sort of views, but what on earth was the paper doing printing them?

Sorry if anyone objects to me putting this here, but it annoyed me.