• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The last dropping was ridiculous though, after his performance at TB.
I've thought a few times since the actual game itself, before Thursday, but I always wondered what would have happened had he got a ton. Certainly wouldn't have got dropped after Lords you'd think, and Australia piled up the runs at Old Trafford. Kind of got forgotten amid all the focus on Agar that he was stranded in the 80s.

andmark

International Captain
There was a bat out at the Wales vs South Africa rugby match today which is nice. As I'm typing, I have heard that there is a Cricket bat behind the goalpost at Reading's football match; again great respect.

I'm really tempted to make a thread about the issues on the bouncer, rules, etc this incident raises and what should be done. My problem is that I get the feeling that lots of people on here seem to be seeing such discussion as disrespectful. Alternatively, issues like these should be discussed to the fullest extent by Cricket fans so the game can advance and try to at least explore ways as to how incidents like this could be prevented/ if they could be prevented. As far as I can see, discussing the use of the bouncer now is not disrespectful and it is in fact necessary. What do you guys think, should I make such a thread or not?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah tbh I'd rather not thing about what if in those situations because to change one thing is to change everything and it can destroy you mentally, but purely from a cricketing pov it was a crass decision.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There was a bat out at the Wales vs South Africa rugby match today which is nice. As I'm typing, I have heard that there is a Cricket bat behind the goalpost at Reading's football match; again great respect.

I'm really tempted to make a thread about the issues on the bouncer, rules, etc this incident raises and what should be done. My problem is that I get the feeling that lots of people on here seem to be seeing such discussion as disrespectful. Alternatively, issues like these should be discussed to the fullest extent by Cricket fans so the game can advance and try to at least explore ways as to how incidents like this could be prevented/ if they could be prevented. As far as I can see, discussing the use of the bouncer now is not disrespectful and it is in fact necessary. What do you guys think, should I make such a thread or not?
Not now mate, IMO.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I'd leave it a week.

And, yeah it's good to see the bats out at a few of the English football grounds.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/putoutyourbats?src=hash

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it has been amazing, I still can't imagine how it is going to be when Australia play again though. Like a lot of other people I can't even imagine watching cricket right now, I know that is going to change but we have not been through something like this before.

Feels kind of self-centered but his year of birth is the same as mine (and I am sure plenty of others on here) and it really brings it home whenever I see the 1988-2014, just horrid.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Riggins

International Captain
hey spikey you got a link to that article about marcus north should be captain cos clarke not being up to it. clarkey been monumental through this.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I almost teared up when I heard that short tribute by Richie Benaud for Hughes. Just thinking about the fact Richie has outlived Hughes really hits home how soon he's passed.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

I dont think anyone on here would find such a discussion disrespectful. There are issues here worth discussing and probably should be discussed. I am sure we could have a reasoned debate about it right now if we had to. But, for me, the key point is that we dont have to do it right now and it can wait. The topic will still be there at a later date and I think we can all discuss it then rather than during his difficult time. I dont believe it to be disrespectful but I also dont see any value in debating bouncers and player safety immediately.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I have nothing in common with Phil Hughes other than we are both homo sapiens and that we love cricket. But I cried the day I heard the news. Just couldn't work the whole day. Cricket would never be the same game again.

Phil, forever 25 in our hearts. You lucky sob. :down: