• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaas vs Srinath vs Lee vs Zaheer vs Sobers

Best bowler

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You ARE kidding?

Vaas is beyond question the most inconsistent bowler ever to have a substantial Test career.

Vaas at his best was as good as any bowler can be, but at his worst he was so far short of Test-class it was embarrassing.

As for Sobers not being that good, well, maybe for a few years early in his career when his batting was his priority. Apart from that, I've got news for you - he was good, sometimes very good. But yes, he was much better as a seamer than spinner.
And sometimes very crap - which is what you'd have to be to average 34 in a notoriously bowler friendly era

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why do Sobers's bad spells not count whereas Lee's do?
Because with Sobers he didn't really have much "bad spell" - it was more a case of him simply having a lengthy spell where he didn't even play to bowl, just to bat. That was after a short spell of ineffectiveness early in his career, which I think we'll all agree was fairly inevitable as he was brought in at the ridiculously young age of 17.

With Lee it was simply that his bowling wasn't good enough. Sobers was not even focussing on bowling. Only from the time he begun to do that again, mid-career, onwards can I consider him as a bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And sometimes very crap - which is what you'd have to be to average 34 in a notoriously bowler friendly era
Sobers was never "very crap" apart from when he wasn't even trying to bowl, and when he was basically a kid in a man's world of Test cricket.

There was a time later in his career where he was a much lesser bowler, and that was what dragged his average up. So yes, there was a time when he was good and a time when he was less good. But to describe him as "sometimes very crap" would be disingeous, and to describe him as "not very good apart from versatility" would be plain naive.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sobers' aveg of 34 with the ball, represent best bowler who averages 34 in the entire cricket history. because he was used to cover uo seamer or spinner depending on conditions. On spinning wickets he opened the bowling to allow an additional spinner in. On seaming wickets he bowled spin to allow another seamer in. IMHO that was crap thinking from WI captaicy. I would have gone vice versa.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always amuses me how people want to give Sobers credit for doing something so daft.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Always amuses me how people want to give Sobers credit for doing something so daft.
Me, I just want to see some evidence of it being more than hearsay. Not saying it neccessarily is just hearsay, just that all I've ever heard of it is posters posting on CW. Never have read of Sobers actually speaking \ going into print about doing it, nor commentaries on matches which suggested he did.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Zaheer > Vaas is the joke of the millenium
I agree Vass is distinctly better, but it's not like comparing Morton to SRT. Zaheer infact has been brilliant for the past 1 year and if he goes on with the same gusto for the next 3 years or so, he may as well be in the same league as Vass as a test match player.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree Vass is distinctly better, but it's not like comparing Morton to SRT. Zaheer infact has been brilliant for the past 1 year and if he goes on with the same gusto for the next 3 years or so, he may as well be in the same league as Vass as a test match player.
May be, I agree. Vaas at his best is much deadlier than Zaheer at his best, provided that we have seen his best. But Srinath at his best is a frightening prospect. It's like playing an off spinner bowling at 85 mph.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sobers' aveg of 34 with the ball, represent best bowler who averages 34 in the entire cricket history. because he was used to cover uo seamer or spinner depending on conditions. On spinning wickets he opened the bowling to allow an additional spinner in. On seaming wickets he bowled spin to allow another seamer in. IMHO that was crap thinking from WI captaicy. I would have gone vice versa.
And his SR of 92? He really shouldn't be anywhere near the top of this poll. Apart from a period in the 60s where he was a very good pacer the record for the rest of his career is pretty dreadful.

:laugh:

I think Lee was the best of the lot. Average similar to Vaas but an SR which is completely superior. His home and away record much better also. At his best towards the end he was probably the best bowler in the world for a short period. He always had to contend with 2 other bowlers taking bucketfuls of wickets too.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He always had to contend with 2 other bowlers taking bucketfuls of wickets too.
Does not compute.

You're right though, Lee was a good bowler. Patchy, but generally pretty good. And sometimes utterly incredible.

And his SR of 92? He really shouldn't be anywhere near the top of this poll. Apart from a period in the 60s where he was a very good pacer the record for the rest of his career is pretty dreadful.

I think Lee was the best of the lot. Average similar to Vaas but an SR which is completely superior. His home and away record much better also. At his best towards the end he was probably the best bowler in the world for a short period. He always had to contend with 2 other bowlers taking bucketfuls of wickets too.

Vaas home - 180 wickets at 26.32, away - 175 wickets at 32.34
Lee home - 186 wickets at 28.72, away - 119 at 33.42

Next time check your facts instead of talking crap.It is amazing how biased you are - Asian batsmen are never given credit and 'they get more flat tracks' excuse is always used against them yet no mention of that when it comes to bowling.On top of that you are a liar. Sheesh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lee always had to contend with 2 other bowlers taking bucketfuls of wickets too.
And he benefited from the fact that McGrath, Gillespie and Warne would often do what he was unable to, in knocking-over the best batsmen. No coincidence that, outside 2007/08, Lee did even worse when he was surrounded by fellow ordinary\crap bowlers rather than when surrounded by excellence.

Playing with McGrath, Fleming, Gillespie, Warne etc. was, for the most part, a help to Lee not a hindrance. Still didn't preclude him from being utterly hopeless for most of his career though.