• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought it was Covid related? Wasn’t the WT20 originally meant to be held in October/November 2020 but got canned due to covid and the consequent delaying of the IPL from April/May to the end of the year?
Now that I think of it, weren't two scheduled within two years of each other and COVID brought them tighter? I remember thinking it was a short time between tournaments before hand

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah was meant to be in Aus late 2020 then India next year.

A shame we didn't get the Aus one. Pace bowling stocks worldwide are strong atm, and spin is lame.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t tour India given his success in the UAE and SL. I do think that’ll probably be his last series but I think NZ will shy away from playing uncapped spinners there and will have (hopefully) finally learnt their lessons about Santner’s limitations in tests.
Concur

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Munro sucked dick yday in CPL. Seifert showed up, went nuts and brought them back in the game. On a slow track.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Unusual for Seifert to score runs on a slow deck, that's promising.

Probably not Manu's best innings, but I don't think the description was fitting

M0rphin3

International Debutant
^Prolly exaggerated a bit - but got hella time to settle, got dropped and bowling wasn't exceptional or something, still didn't do good enough - 40(47) is bad IMO with just three down. Seifert had too much to do in the end (gunned it though, never expected this from him).

nzfan

Funny stuff that from Sears saying he's the 15th best bowler in the country. I'd think he'll be in my second choice bowling attack every time and likely full time bowling option in about a year's time.

Kid seems a bit lost and not used to the media coverage by the looks of it. Looks like someone like Ravindra and Allen are very well media trained listening to them on blackcaps insta/fb

nzfan

Looks lot more comfortable with the attention than Sears and says the right things. Bangladesh cricket supporters must be happy with Ravindra terming Shakib and co as world class players. Not sure about other players but Shakib is certainly world class, he's outstanding with both bat and the ball no doubt.

Chubb

International Regular

Funny stuff that from Sears saying he's the 15th best bowler in the country. I'd think he'll be in my second choice bowling attack every time and likely full time bowling option in about a year's time.

Kid seems a bit lost and not used to the media coverage by the looks of it. Looks like someone like Ravindra and Allen are very well media trained listening to them on blackcaps insta/fb
Ben Sears is clearly very academically smart, and, speaking from experience, that kind of person can be very difficult to media train.

It is obvious from what's been written and said about him cricket is not the be all and end all of his life, which is totally fine, healthy even.

Chewie

I remember reading somewhere that he was excited about being in MIQ because it meant he could focus on his studies rather than cricket interrupting them

nzfan

Ben Sears is clearly very academically smart, and, speaking from experience, that kind of person can be very difficult to media train.

It is obvious from what's been written and said about him cricket is not the be all and end all of his life, which is totally fine, healthy even.
Why is that? Can't you be a good orator if you are well educated? I think the current lot of players are all well educated or do their best to be educated. I can't think of many Black Caps from the previous generation taking up study seriously. Maybe Jeet Raval did but don't think Baz, Kane, Blundell, Latham, Nicholls, Boult, Southee etc are university educated. I know for sure most of our domestic cricketers of the current lot are into studies which is good for them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sears is kinda right tbh. Second XI attack is clearly Henry, Ferguson, Ajaz and probably Duffy.
Yeah he is right, but the fact that he said it in that way is kind of peak Sears.

He doesn't seem like a good orator but that's not really what I'm getting at -- he could've said it like Stephen Fry and "I am the 15th best bowler" still would've come across more like an analytical CW post than canned athletespeak.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Why is that? Can't you be a good orator if you are well educated? I think the current lot of players are all well educated or do their best to be educated. I can't think of many Black Caps from the previous generation taking up study seriously. Maybe Jeet Raval did but don't think Baz, Kane, Blundell, Latham, Nicholls, Boult, Southee etc are university educated. I know for sure most of our domestic cricketers of the current lot are into studies which is good for them.
Adam Parore and Roger Twose were both doing work on their respective finance degrees whilst playing for NZ (iirc Twose sat one of his exams midway through the 1999 World Cup with the NZ team's manager serving as his referee).

With respect to the players you name there, with the exception of Blundell and Nicholls, they were all pushed into the NZ team at very young ages (and given the fortunes of the NZ side at the time, would've known that that would be the case). Sears and Ravindra would've likely already played 10-20 tests by now if they'd been born a decade earlier. Harry Boam - who decided to pull out of professional cricket to focus on his studies - actually works in my office, maybe I'll ask him sometime about his experience of trying to balance the two.

Chubb

International Regular
You absolutely can be a good communicator if you are well educated, it's more that they won't take training very well. So they might naturally be a good communicator, but you can't train them to talk like a typical cricket pro and they might blurt something gauche like "I'm the 15th best bowler in the country", compared to how Rachin speaks in the vid you shared.

I think in general cricketers are better educated than a lot of sportspeople and that's very healthy for them as individuals, but I know people have highlighted how focused Sears is on it compared to most. Which is great, but explains why he looks a bit nonplussed that he's playing cricket for NZ.

Last edited: