• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sears is kinda right tbh. Second XI attack is clearly Henry, Ferguson, Ajaz and probably Duffy.
Jamieson, Southee, Boult, Wagner
Henry, Ferguson, Duffy, Ajaz
Bracewell, Rance, Kuggeleijn, Sommerville
Sheat, Tickner, Sears, Rippon

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
There was a recent post on BC insta, Sears and Ravindra went to the same junior club team, school, club, Wellington U15s, 17s and the 19s, NZ 19s and now black caps. Would be great to see them both debut. It must help knowing there's one in the team that you've played through out your life with.

nzfan

Although cricinfo writes the attention will be on the new comers I think the attention should be on Blundell, Latham, Duffy and Nicholls to see if they can resurrect their t20 career at all. There's no reason why Latham can't particularly in sub continent conditions. Blundell should have grabbed his opportunity when he had a reasonable run but was batting at no.8 where he didn't have much time to be consistent. Blundell can upsurge Seifert in sub continent conditions with few good hits. Seifert is a superior t20 player but his glove work is not that flash. If Devon starts keeping regularly Seifert and Blundell will have to jostle for a place though.

Immenso

There might be some self deprecation , but hes also not that wrong. 13 seam bowlers were picked before Sears last season, so he's 14th, technically.

Obviously, can throw a blanket over 8th to 14th.

Add spinners, and he's 17th 'bowler'.

Flem274*

123/5
hmm on reflection I think Bracewell makes the second XI. Henry, Duffy, Ferguson and Ajaz is a tail to make even Kohli think twice.

If the firsts died in a plane crash tonight I'd bring Sears into the test squad to learn much like Jamieson and Ravindra have/were. On merit though I think he's better than some named.

Jamieson
Southee
Wagner
Boult
Ferguson
Henry
Duffy
Sheat
Williams
Rance
Bracewell
Sears
Nuttall
Bennett

So 12th in my 10 second list. He's definitely better than the journeyman Kuggs and still inconsistent Tickner. I'd legitimately debut Sears ahead of several above him in Australia or South Africa, but in NZ or England the likes of Sheat, Rance and Williams would probably do a lot better than some expect. Sears has the talent to catapult up that list within 12 months at any given time though, much like Adam Milne who doesn't even make the top 15 right now.

nzfan

Williams, Sheat and Rance could do well if domestic decks are rolled out. The international decks here in NZ is way better than they dish up for domestic in test venues. Sears' pace will come in handy on a harder deck with extra bounce. You're not going to get that with Sheat, Williams or Rance.

Flem274*

123/5
Rance is proper test match right arm fast medium speed. His issue is he's the James Anderson Junior of the south seas, but without a hometown duke ball to catapult him into test cricket.

Honestly unsure what to make of Williams. He was taking cheap poles before the experimental ball. Honestly we should look at him in NZ A. I'd hate to miss out on the next Mohammad Abbas or Ollie Robinson because some talent scout kept looking at the speed gun.

Sheat's entire career is with the dukeaburra, so is a bit suspect.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Rance is proper test match right arm fast medium speed. His issue is he's the James Anderson Junior of the south seas, but without a hometown duke ball to catapult him into test cricket.

Honestly unsure what to make of Williams. He was taking cheap poles before the experimental ball. Honestly we should look at him in NZ A. I'd hate to miss out on the next Mohammad Abbas or Ollie Robinson because some talent scout kept looking at the speed gun.

Sheat's entire career is with the dukeaburra, so is a bit suspect.
How fast is williams? Pre Injury abbas was 125-135 from memory and Ollie is 130-140 from the little bit i've seen at sussex and internationals. From the way i've heard w w spoken about on here thought he was just an nz version of the 120>km/h trundler's who dominate county.

Flem274*

123/5
How fast is williams? Pre Injury abbas was 125-135 from memory and Ollie is 130-140 from the little bit i've seen at sussex and internationals. From the way i've heard w w spoken about on here thought he was just an nz version of the 120>km/h trundler's who dominate county.
abbas touching 135kph is fake news, he was always slow. robinson is solidly 125-135kph from what i've seen this winter. never seen him near 140kph in several tests now.

williams looks firmly 120-130kph, like a tall CDG. if he was 135kph i think he would be in squads.

nzfan

Given the extended covid situation I won't be surprised if Sheat and Williams get a go within the next year. Maybe England visit next time around, mid next year.

I rate Rance, he curves the ball in all formats. He's not slow, more like 130-135k. Another decade he'd have played lots more.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I rate Rance massively. 135km, the tired old 'heavy ball tag' and in the right conditions, absolutely hoops it and exposes poor techniques.

Unfortunately his best format is probably ODIs and he's stuck behind a massive logjam of proven performers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Flem274*

123/5
found the tour before. that was a fun one too. bond's final hurrah, iain o'brien sending down genuine heat in what he knew to be his final series. amir and asif, umar akmal when he was good, vettori leading the engine room, daryl tuffey's golden 80*.

tied series at 1-1 ruined by the rain on the final afternoon. pakistan toured twice in 12 months and took the 5 test series 2-1 imo.

rossco had 3 fifties in 5 knocks, including two 90s. that was the summer of him scoring 90s iirc, he really should be at 22-23 tons already.
12 V 13 though
cut a couple of players each, that's then a test match

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
went for a trip down memory lane and found this absolute meme
should have just called it the first test
James Franklin batting 4/5 and opening the bowling ahead of Boult and Southee. Keith Miller eat your heart out.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
rossco had 3 fifties in 5 knocks, including two 90s. that was the summer of him scoring 90s iirc, he really should be at 22-23 tons already.
Unless I'm using Statsguru wrong, it says Rossco has 3 90s and Kane 4. Kane has 7 in ODIs, Ross 5

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tim Mac deserved better treatment
He was partially a victim of Nz’s poor record, he’d scored a 90 literally a couple of games before his final test. Having said that he looked in miserable touch at the end, a bit like Peter Fulton in basically every game after his twin tons at Eden Park.

Btw, probably my favourite ever description of a cricketer was when the Guardian said that Peter Fulton batted like a field horse who had somehow, through sheer weight of domestic runs, been selected for test cricket.