• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Trying to get a bit worked up for the Bangladesh series but can't. Probably to do with knowing there's just few t20s and no tests. Would have been nice if we had even a single test in those conditions.

The only excitement is seeing Sears, Ravindra, Duffy and McConchie I guess. Hoping they all have a hand in some if not all games. The rest are proven performers but them doing great is not going to make it exciting this jam t20s

nzfan

I think Sears is going to either come out with serious performances or going to get smashed. Hoping for the earlier.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guessing I'm not the only one thinking this 2nd XI of ours is a good chance of getting hammered in Bangers considering how badly Australia struggled on those dead tracks.

Immenso

Trying to get a bit worked up for the Bangladesh series but can't. Probably to do with knowing there's just few t20s and no tests. Would have been nice if we had even a single test in those conditions.

The only excitement is seeing Sears, Ravindra, Duffy and McConchie I guess. Hoping they all have a hand in some if not all games. The rest are proven performers but them doing great is not going to make it exciting this jam t20s
On the contrary, for me.

What would normally have been a JAM20 tour is turned into a series I'm.very interested in.

Reminds me a bit of the fascination with watching Otago and ND in the CLT20s. Watching some new talent cope with a step up and Asian conditions.

nzfan

On the contrary, for me.

What would normally have been a JAM20 tour is turned into a series I'm.very interested in.

Reminds me a bit of the fascination with watching Otago and ND in the CLT20s. Watching some new talent cope with a step up and Asian conditions.
Still hard to read from any performances from a t20. Maybe one day games will give an indication of a player's ability but not t20s. Or maybe I'm old fashioned.

nzfan

Guessing I'm not the only one thinking this 2nd XI of ours is a good chance of getting hammered in Bangers considering how badly Australia struggled on those dead tracks.
I think we have always been hammered by Bangladesh in white ball cricket. Can't remember us having won lots. We probably did prior 2010 but I do remember us dropping all the games under Vettori and Baz.

Flem274*

123/5
I think we have always been hammered by Bangladesh in white ball cricket. Can't remember us having won lots. We probably did prior 2010 but I do remember us dropping all the games under Vettori and Baz.
I don't think we've been back since that awkward little period at the start of last decade. The run into the 2011 WC was diabolical, with plenty of the first choice side from the 2009 CT retired or unavailable and us playing the "James Franklin is a #6", "20 year old KW will solve everything", "Shanan Stewart and Andy Ellis are ready for ODI cricket" game.

I think we toured again just after during that 2012-14 period where we would spend all winter in Asia playing white ball cricket with second string squads, blatantly not caring because no one in NZ except massive nerds would watch.

My favourite top 3 from that era went something like Rutherford - Devcich - Nicol.

nzfan

I can't even remember our side from then... barely any spinners register either. Nathan and Vettori were our mainstay those days. Ish wasn't around I think. Kane used to bowl then. Devcich, Rutherford, Elliot and Kyle Mills come to mind. If I don't look up cricinfo I won't be able to name the sides from then. Jesse Ryder then was the gun player? Maybe.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So....when's this supposed tour of India?

When are we next playing tests? This is killing me...

all these pointless t20s and useless ODIs. There's a tour of Aus in Jan which is 3 random ODIs...who GAF? play a test FFS

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
One good thing is that we have picked some proper batsmen to hopefully milk spinners (Latham, Nicholls, Ravindra, Young etc) whereas Australia had a weird combination of big hitting wicketkeepers and all rounders who would've been fine for batting on roads.

Flem274*

123/5
Goin back to the ages thing, let's take a look at 2026 assuming all players retire at or before turning 35. It's pessimistic but well I don't trust NZ not to immediately plunge itself into another bad era at a moments notice.

I don't see the next Williamson - Taylor level partnership below. Lots of 40 - 45 averages in here imo with Ravindra hopefully averaging 45+ but openers don't tend to average 50 all that often. Also this batting order is still dads army. We could go a while before we see a team under 30 years old, which isn't actually the worst thing if players maintain their quality.

Tom Latham (c) (34)
Rachin Ravindra (26)
Will Young (33)
Glenn Phillips (29)
Henry Nicholls (34)
Nathan Smith (28)
Tim Seifert (wk) (31)
Kyle Jamieson (31)
Matthew Fisher (26)
Ben Sears (28)
Adithya Ashok (23)

Fraser Sheat (28) (here as the reliable medium fast swing bowling alternative to paaaaaace dream we know we won't get)

Immenso

Oh well, in five years time we could be walking round a zoo
With the sun shining down over me and you

but more likely, our relationship with the blackcaps glory days will be:

In five years time we might not speak
Oh, in five years time we might not get along

Immenso

There are the clear 4 young talents, plus Phillips 2 years older than them (Ravindra, Allen, Smith, Sears + Phillips). Allen will never get enough red ball domestic experience, so IMO can limit expectations there to a white ball gun only.

But, I think a key job for NZC will be keeping some of the currently late 20s guys engaged, incentivised and still around for the next 5 to 7 years.

Young, Chapman, Duffy, Nuttall, Tickner, Fletcher.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Building a team based on guys peaking late 20s should give a strongish team. Better than hoping for the next youth prodigy.

Younger than that age group mentioned above, only Field has played any provincial cricket yet, and he shows that what looked ungainly, meh and raw at U19 level has the building blocks (height, pace) to be promising higher up, so projecting is difficult.

Georgeson, the 2018 U19 contemporary, looked very red-ball promising in his opportunities late last season.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So....when's this supposed tour of India?

When are we next playing tests? This is killing me...

all these pointless t20s and useless ODIs. There's a tour of Aus in Jan which is 3 random ODIs...who GAF? play a test FFS
If it goes ahead, the India tour is scheduled for November I think.

nzfan

In 5 years time I don't think there will be much changes. We will still have Kane, Conway, Young, Nicholls, Latham, Blundell, Darryl, maybe Boult as well. I think the batting will be all right but the bowling may take a bit of a beating with losing Southee, Wagner.

Hopefully Sears will have settled by then and there's always Duffy to fall back on. I don't think we will be as good as we are right now but we will be all right for the next 5-6 years.

As mentioned above I think Phillips, Seifert, Sears, N Smith, Ravindra and Allen will fill in the gaps.

Some kids who are now 17 in 5 years time could be a reasonable chance we never know. Not many knew Ravindra or Sears or Allen would be in the set up already 5 years ago.

nzfan

Not sure why Allen can't play red ball cricket and succeed. If Pant can or Hetmeyer can so can Allen. The sample size so far of Allen is quite small to decide he's not going to be good enough in red ball cricket. If he wants it then he sure can be a pretty good player of red ball cricket. It just takes time to develop in red ball cricket and have to ride the highs and lows. Allen isn't as wild as Pant and with proper training can adopt. He doesn't have to bat at the top of the order. Maybe bat him at 6. He's been a wicket keeper as well and if he can grow into a wicket keeping batsman role he could be like Butler for us. I think BCs should play Ravindra at no.4 and let him bowl. It's too much to ask a player to open batting and bowl loads (in sub continent)