• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Without Bracewell we look light in the spinning department. Big gap between Sodhi/santner and then Phillips, Ravindra and chapman.

I'd go:

Young
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham+
Philips
Neesham
Santner
Henry
Sodhi
Ferguson
Boult
Pretty sure picking 12 is cheating.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Without Bracewell we look light in the spinning department. Big gap between Sodhi/santner and then Phillips, Ravindra and chapman.

I'd go:

Young
Conway
Williamson
Mitchell
Latham+
Philips
Neesham
Santner
Henry
Sodhi
Ferguson
Boult
Great strategy to pick 12 players. If we can get away with it we might win the tournament.

Mike5181

International Captain
1. Devon Conway
2. Will Young
3. Kane Williamson
4. Daryl Mitchell
5. Tom Latham
6. Glenn Phillips
7. James Neesham
8. Mitchell Santner
9. Matt Henry
10. Lockie Ferguson/Ish Sodhi
11. Trent Boult

The more I think about it the more Neesham as the third fast bowler in India seems crazy. Maybe you just pick Chapman, run with either Ferguson or Southee as the third quick, and hope you get through that 5th block of 10 with some combination of Mitchell, Phillips, Chapman.

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
I'm guessing southee took milne's spot because southee can actually get through 10 overs if needed.... re : milne again, i thought wrapping someone in wool and protecting them/managing their workload was supposed to keep them on the park?? or is milne just made out of wet papers?

all in all i like this squad, well done to NZC and yeah...bracewell was a lock if he was fit, big loss on best balance, batting with the tail and power hitting aspect

but hopefully a phillips or chapman can take their chance now and try fill the void

lot depends on lockie getting his s*** together, big pressure on him

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Not choosing injured players or anyone in that 15 man squad, would our second ODI XI be:

1. Allen
2. Bowes/Blundell
3. Cleaver+
4. Nicholls
5. Bruce
6. McConchie
7. D Bracewell
8. Jamieson
9. Duffy
10. Lister
11. Ashok

Real slow morning at NZT Inc.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Not choosing injured players or anyone in that 15 man squad, would our second ODI XI be:

1. Allen
2. Bowes/Blundell
3. Cleaver+
4. Nicholls
5. Bruce
6. McConchie
7. D Bracewell
8. Jamieson
9. Duffy
10. Lister
11. Ashok

clarkson for nicholls imo but pretty aight

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
And Foxcroft
I had thought about Foxcroft but was sticking mostly to those who had already made a ODI dayboo - although did make an exception for Bruce.

Tbh I'd probably open with Blundell and maybe Allen although I still don't rate him (but would still choose him over Bowes). Foxcroft 3, Cleaver 4, Bruce 5, Clarkson 6, McConchie 7. Then maybe exclude Lister and have the same bowlers with Dougeh at 8.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What do we make of Neesham's selection? I've said in the past it would be harsh not to select him on the basis of T20I form, given he's had such limited opportunities in ODIs since 2019, but jeez he hasn't given us much to go on in any format.

With Mitchell increasingly a pure batsman, CDG gone and Bracewell out does he pretty much make it by default as the only seam bowling allrounder/last allrounder standing?
Neesham's numbers in 14 ODIs since the 2019 World Cup? Runs at 17, and wickets at 58s. Limited opportunities, sure, but you couldn't say he's grasped them.

The side needed some element of balance and he's the only all-rounder with experience. Maybe they think he delivers in the big moments. I still think it's way too risky that he plays at 7 and bowls 10 overs along with Mitchell and Phillips, although if Glenn keeps going OK, they might be tempted.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting that Stead said the following on Chapman:

Stead said Chapman and fellow power-hitter Glenn Phillips were also part-time spin bowling options in India.

Doesn't marry up with what Doull said about Chapman having the yips.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

1. Allen
2. Bowes/Blundell
3. Cleaver+
4. Nicholls
5. Bruce
6. McConchie
7. D Bracewell
8. Jamieson
9. Duffy
10. Lister
11. Ashok

Is Shipley injured & who'd be your skipper? Tom Bruce

ataraxia

International Coach
Unrelated but I thought Chapman's T20I average of 31 was Hong Kong inflated. I thought he got many starts but was just a cut below; mediocre at international level. But actually he averages 36 and strikes at 143, across 40 games. Goddamn. That Pakistan series really helped.