• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Half the overs were bowled by Sulieman Benn, Marlon Samuels, and Darren Sammy. Respectively their averages were like 39, 45, 47. And I said in my initial post that there were exceptions. Guptill was capable of brilliance and he had like a 14 year career. I don't think it's wrong (if you have a decent sample size at least) to measure a player by their performances against the top teams in high pressure situations.
Frankly, the methods most people on this forum (including myself) use to rate players is subjective gobblygook. I could rank players by the likelyhood of their mother's being whores and it could be valid to me.

Your idea sounds fine, even if their is issues with it (like the bang bros game mentioned above). I have an issue with you calling an official home WC knock-out game low pressure because the opposition's batting lineup was subpar.

Mike5181

International Captain
Chatfield > McCullum

You see cos runs only count when they're against opposition where they count.
Yeah, but McCullum scored 185 in a test match against Shahadat Hossein and Rubel Hossain. That's 66 more than Crowe's 119 against Marshall, Garner, Holding, Walsh. And 83 more than Williamson's 2012 century against Steyn, Philander, Morkel. Chatfield can't compare.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Crowe averages 34 with 5 50+ innings. Its not that compelling an argument.

Its a very limited dataset. Crowe played 1 more good innings than Guptill more or less

Mike5181

International Captain
I just hope the next time we play the Netherlands people share their thoughts as readily as they do during world cup finals. Since we'll be watching every ball in anticipation just the same. Runs are runs and wickets are wickets.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
You missed basically every point I made in response to that but ok.
Are you referring to the points you made in response to steve, me, or both?

I didn't ignore your post, FYI, I read it at the time. Your point, from what I could tell, was that
1.Half the windies overs were bowled by subpar bowlers.

The rest of what you said loops back to your initial argument of that innings being an anomaly.

The fact that the windies weren't a great side doesn't change the fact that guptill is facing thr first ball in a home WC quarter final and pretty much single handedly winning the game for hid team. The pressure of facing that first ball, or batting through the innings doesn't suddenly fade from your mind because Darren Sammy or Marlon samuels are bowling a few overs.

Mike5181

International Captain
Are you referring to the points you made in response to steve, me, or both?

I didn't ignore your post, FYI, I read it at the time. Your point, from what I could tell, was that
1.Half the windies overs were bowled by subpar bowlers.

The rest of what you said loops back to your initial argument of that innings being an anomaly.

The fact that the windies weren't a great side doesn't change the fact that guptill is facing thr first ball in a home WC quarter final and pretty much single handedly winning the game for hid team. The pressure of facing that first ball, or batting through the innings doesn't suddenly fade from your mind because Darren Sammy or Marlon samuels are bowling a few overs.
Explain how excluding a dead rubber game against Bangladesh is an issue.

And again, even if I agreed with you about the West Indies game, which I like 80% don't. I literally started the whole ****ing argument by saying there are exceptions, because the guy had a 14 year long career. The trend of Guptill's career was that he generally failed when it came to high pressure games in tournaments. I gave you a 50 game sample size against the top teams. If you want to push back against one you're not proving anything. Literally no one thinks that attack is in the same stratosphere as runs against someone like Mitchell Starc or any other top ranked bowler.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Explain how excluding a dead rubber game against Bangladesh is an issue.

And again, even if I agreed with you about the West Indies game, which I like 80% don't. I literally started the whole ****ing argument by saying there are exceptions, because the guy had a 14 year long career. The trend of Guptill's career was that he generally failed when it came to high pressure games in tournaments. I gave you a 50 game sample size against the top teams. If you want to push back against one you're not proving anything. Literally no one thinks that attack is in the same stratosphere as runs against someone like Mitchell Starc or any other top ranked bowler.
That's why I asked which post you where referring to first. I read your response to the bang thing, just didn't see a point to comment on it given that's a different discussion. That 237 is one knock across his career, but is also boosts his numbers from 27 @75 in your initial sample to ~34 @85. Given the fact that your sampling by the best teams, who i'de assume have better bowlers on average, and adding some high pressure games in there, you'de expect a minor drop in average, no? 41 @85 down to 34 @85 is a massive difference to 41@85 down to 27 @ 75.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So a bunch of key players are rested from the Bangladesh odis in the name of not overworking them....but that's a series on pitches that might be similar to the world cup. Seems like a good idea.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So a bunch of key players are rested from the Bangladesh odis in the name of not overworking them....but that's a series on pitches that might be similar to the world cup. Seems like a good idea.
By my count, the 3rd ODI in that series is 9 days before our World Cup opener. I presume we will have one or two warm up games in India...bit as you say, on sub continental pitches, we are going to play a bunch of guys who won't even be in the World Cup squad let alone XI? If I've ever encountered a WTF bit of news, that is it. Wouldn't these guys be relishing the chance to get match practice in relevant conditions? Why even schedule a bloody series if it has no relevance to the world cup in your eyes?

Mike5181

International Captain
He became eligible for the USA team earlier this year, surprised he wasn't picked for the World Cup qualifiers.