• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick out of Ashes

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Not good enough IMO, would much rather too see Vaughan make a recovery and be fit and drafted in or one of the old boys in Butcher and Ramprakash.
Of course you would, you don't want England to win.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's also the chance that the affliction isn't directly affecting Marcus himself. Although may be affecting a Trescothick...?

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
There's also the chance that the affliction isn't directly affecting Marcus himself. Although may be affecting a Trescothick...?
That's a good point.

I think we need to back away from bi-polar disorder really, we don't know what he has. It could be shingles or angina for all we know, they are both stress related illnesses which if accute would make playing cricket quite difficult. Once you've had shingles it can clear up but a hot climate and a bit of stress can make it really flair up. All conjecture I know but that's my point "I fell out of love with cricket" doesn't necesarrily mean he has a serious mood disorder. We've gone from 'stress-related illness' to bi-polar depression one of the most accute mental illnesses.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Gloucefan said:
I think we need to back away from bi-polar disorder really, we don't know what he has. It could be shingles or angina for all we know, they are both stress related illnesses which if accute would make playing cricket quite difficult. Once you've had shingles it can clear up but a hot climate and a bit of stress can make it really flair up. All conjecture I know but that's my point "I fell out of love with cricket" doesn't necesarrily mean he has a serious mood disorder. We've gone from 'stress-related illness' to bi-polar depression one of the most accute mental illnesses.
You're right, but AFAIK, only me and Pedro Delgado have mentioned bipolar, and we've both tried to say "bipolar, clinical depression or something else." Apologies if it came out any other way.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad stuff to see Tresco go. I'm feeling sorry for the man after seeing what depression/stress related illness' do to people and it's not good.

Can't see any huge changes in the team really. Bell & Collingwood will both play, Cook to open, Bell at 3, Pietersen 4 & Colly 5. Wouldn't be suprised to see Vaughan return at Adelaide, in which case either Collingwood or Bell will go, depending on form.

Slow Love™

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
There was a suggestion in an article I read last night that suggested that Trescothick's problems may have something to do with his wife suffering from severe post-natal depression.

PY

International Coach
I found this quite interesting when I read it:

""Marcus came off the field in the afternoon, and there was a recurrence of the problem he had in India."
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/6149210.stm

That makes me think it's him and this stress-related illness is having a visible effect on Tresco in some way.

Not sure I want to second guess though, leave that he made a decision which IMO is quite brave and let's get on with the cricket.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I read this arvo that he was distressed and having to be consoled for a couple of hours in the dressing room by the team doc. Sounds pretty unpleasant for the poor bloke.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I feel really sorry for him and hope he gets better.

Still not forgiven him for his comments about India though. Wonder if he will sprout out that trash about Australia now.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
There was a suggestion in an article I read last night that suggested that Trescothick's problems may have something to do with his wife suffering from severe post-natal depression.
Yeah, I read that too. I couldn't even start to imagine how traumatic post-natal depression is, but to have it and be all by yourself raising a child while your husband is half the way around the world, would not only be a burden on her, but Marcus aswell.

If Trescothick is getting news that his wife is having a hard time of it, it must make it very difficult for him to get up for a game of cricket. Sad stuff.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Of course you would, you don't want England to win.
doesn't matter who wins once the cricket is great. But its not like if any of Shah, Key or Joyce have been that convincing & would cause Australia much headaches if selected (well its Joyce now), as i said i'd much rather Vaughan to come back in & hopefully he still can.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Still not forgiven him for his comments about India though. Wonder if he will sprout out that trash about Australia now.
What did he say?

Craig

World Traveller
He has done the right thing - shown he is a team man by leaving now.

Look what is it with all this peculation? Does anybody know him personally? I doubt it so how can you make judgement.

tooextracool

International Coach
Woodster said:
Without wanting to drag this discussion on too much, I'm not particularly sure that 1-2 good seasons denotes excellent domestic stats. Freddie and Harmy may not have been at ease immediately but that wasnt my point, not everyone settles immediately, but still their 1st class stats were average.
No, the thing is that very few players have excellent overall FC stats(especially in England), in fact most players start of poorly and then end up improving them after several years as they get better. Collingwood is a clear case of this. If you are to base your selection around picking players purely based on excellent overall FC records then you end up picking the Hicks and Crawleys and basically any other 30 something year olds. The logical thing to do then is to pick players who have had success over the last couple of seasons, and who have obviously improved their games since they started. Players like Key, Shah, Strauss, Bell, Collingwood are all clear cut cases of this, and thus they are obiously not controversial selections. However when the likes of Plunkett, Batty etc are picked despite never having a half decent season, you really wonder what Fletcher has been smoking.

Woodster said:
I never questioned Strauss's selection, I really dont think at the time he was beating the door down. He has a decent domestic average, nothing breath taking, but Fletcher saw something in him and I think its fair to say, since then he has taken his game to another level. Yes, Cook and Pietersen record excellent first class averages, and were selected on that (It always appeared with Cook as though it was a case of when, not if ).
I think if a player scores in excess of 1000 runs in his last 2-3 seasons at an extremely good average, it isnt exactly 'seeing something in him'. Like i said earlier if you dont pick players based on their most recent domestic records, then your only other option left is picking 30 year old county pros, which England had the habit of doing in the 90s.