• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think it's more along the lines of how you would expect more Asians in the top 25 mathematicians of the world, but that doesn't necessarily happen.
Or the paradox of France always having several top-20 tennis players, but none of them ever manages to win a Slam, or France never wins the Davis Cup.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Or the paradox of France always having several top-20 tennis players, but none of them ever manages to win a Slam, or France never wins the Davis Cup.

Its not exactly a paradox. RSA and cricket world cups come to mind... :p

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would like to note that I didn't actually use any of that reasoning when selecting players. Most of my decision-making process comes down to "which player would I part like my opponents to have in their side" for lists like these.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its not exactly a paradox. RSA and cricket world cups come to mind... :p
RSA really were the best side on paper in 1999. They really should have won that world cup. They simply choked at two key moments - "you just dropped the world cup" and then at the end, running between wickets.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
For mine, a 5 year peak is more than enough to judge someone on. I respect guys whose careers extend over 20 years, but a 5 year peak is where you actually see how good someone was, especially in cricket. A lot can change once an eye players loses a bit of reflex speed or whatever, but if they can sustain brilliance over 5 or so years, that's enough.

Guys like Viv Richards and Ricky Ponting's test careers show that. Both had averages of above 60 after a good amount of tests, but loss of brilliance in they eyes and footwork bought their averages back to 50. They were still picked because they were still in the best batsmen in their countries, but they weren't at the peak of their powers any more. You probably see it more in guys who grew up on fast bouncy wickets rather than in the subcontinent tbh.
Ponting didn't - his highest average (after >2 Tests) was 59.99. (Well, I suppose it was above 60 halfway through that Test).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"Is it too premature to call him the best ever? You can probably say that right now as far as his one-day cricket is concerned. His one-day record is outstanding and probably better than anybody that's ever played the game given how many hundreds (27) he's made but let's give him a few years yet in the Test series side of things," - Ponting on Kohli.

Obviously run scoring is easier nowadays in ODIs. You can't dispute that. But you compare eras by benchmarking players in each era vs. their contemporaries. No one is doing what Kohli and AB are doing right now in ODI cricket.

I do think what Kohli needs before he retires is a massive World Cup, like the real cream of the crop in ODIs have done throughout history.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
RSA really were the best side on paper in 1999. They really should have won that world cup. They simply choked at two key moments - "you just dropped the world cup" and then at the end, running between wickets.
My point about the french tennis players. :)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I know matches are not played on paper. But Amla`s average-strike rate combo is better than most of the greats mentioned here. Yes, his WC record is bad but will anyone include him as your opener in your second or third ATG XI? Is he way too under-rated?

OverratedSanity

I know matches are not played on paper. But Amla`s average-strike rate combo is better than most of the greats mentioned here. Yes, his WC record is bad but will anyone include him as your opener in your second or third ATG XI? Is he way too under-rated?
Should probably make a third, but yeah his WC record is genuinely so poor. Two hundreds against minnows, and of his other 50+ scores, one's against Bangladesh and the other against a woeful WI. He doesn't really need to do a Gilchrist and win a WC final on his own, but he needed atleast one decent-ish innings of substance against a good team.

Burner

International Regular
IIRC Gilchrist only had that big innings in a final as well. All Amla needs is a century in a WC knock out as well and people's perception will change.

In an alternate reality somewhere there's someone saying that Gilchrist can't perform at the big stage because his team mates couldn't carry him to the final for him to play the innings he did.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Got me thinking.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Richards
Kohli
Symonds
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Lara
Jayasuriya
Ponting
Jones
Miandad
Dhoni +
Flintoff
Pollock
Warne
Ambrose
Donald

M.Waugh
Amla
Sangakkara +
De Silva
Pietersen
Hussey
Cairns
Imran
Vettori
Lee
Holding

Zinzan

Got me thinking.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Richards
Kohli
Symonds
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Lara
Jayasuriya
Ponting
Jones
Miandad
Dhoni +
Flintoff
Pollock
Warne
Ambrose
Donald

M.Waugh
Amla
Sangakkara +
De Silva
Pietersen
Hussey
Cairns
Imran
Vettori
Lee
Holding
You misspelled Holding, it's spelled Hadlee.

Red

Yeh fair enough. Happy with that.

On another day I'd probably replace Cairns with Watson too.

Red

Revised XIs. Disappointed I cant find a spot for Watto.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Richards
Kohli
Symonds
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Lara
Jayasuriya
Ponting
Jones
Miandad
Dhoni +
Flintoff
Pollock
Warne
Ambrose
Donald

M.Waugh
Amla
Sangakkara +
De Silva
Pietersen
Hussey
Klusener
Imran
Hadlee
Vettori
Lee

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
IIRC Gilchrist only had that big innings in a final as well. All Amla needs is a century in a WC knock out as well and people's perception will change.

In an alternate reality somewhere there's someone saying that Gilchrist can't perform at the big stage because his team mates couldn't carry him to the final for him to play the innings he did.
Heh, not a bad point at all.