• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Pace Bowlers Ever

adharcric

International Coach
Matt79 said:
Yep was waiting for that. Warne did his crime, AND did his time. Doesn't totally exclude it, but goes a significant way towards doing so.
I really don't care, but that would still make him a drug cheat.

Matt79

Global Moderator
True - and look my comment was probably irrelevant to somebody wanting to list Shoaib in their top 10. I think, despite Warne's use of an illegal drug, he is still the best spinner in the world. If somebody wants to argue that Shoaib is one of the best quicks ever, then I guess I can't hold his drug cheating episode against him either.

Warne still >>>>>>>>>>>>>> than Akhtar though :p

funnygirl

State Regular
How come many not including Wasim Akram in their top 10 .Instead ,i can see Waqar younis (great ofcourse) and Allan donald (great) based on what ? Statistics .Yes their stats against the best side in the world is pretty poor like 33 and 35 like that .Why can't people see that ? .Not to mention abt their stats they have at the Aussie land .

sure ,stats tells the whole story .:laugh:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Just off the cuff and taking each bowler at his peak. In no order except Barnes who will always be number one.
1. Barnes
Ah. I see that this is another thread in which my Thomson-Collingwood viewpoint won't get me very far.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yep was waiting for that. Warne did his crime, AND did his time. Doesn't totally exclude it, but goes a significant way towards doing so.
This is an old argument, but in fact it doesn't. Warne didn't cheat on any drugs but was banned because he could have masked other drugs. Warne said in an interview with Parkinson that they even proved in court he didn't mask anything.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Haha, how did they prove something like that? You can't prove a negative like that.

My stance is that he did take steroids, as he was suffering from injury at the time and he came back from it suspiciously quick. I don't hold it against him, as I think steroids are way way overrated. I don't hold it against him as a bowler or player when rating him as I don't think it made him a better bowler, but IMO he definitely took something and injury recuperation is a huge part of sport.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, how did they prove something like that? You can't prove a negative like that.

My stance is that he did take steroids, as he was suffering from injury at the time and he came back from it suspiciously quick. I don't hold it against him, as I think steroids are way way overrated. I don't hold it against him as a bowler or player when rating him as I don't think it made him a better bowler, but IMO he definitely took something and injury recuperation is a huge part of sport.
Why even go to that extreme and assume so much? He talked about it quite a bit when asked by Parkison. I brought this up with someone else on here before, try to get a hold of the interview. And why can't you prove that a certain drug hasn't had an effect on you? If I recall the interview correctly, Warne was citing numerous tests taken before as per his back-up.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
The Parkinson interview did bring out a few inconsistencies from the official story iirc although that could have been wrt to the bookie thing and not the drug ban I can't remember. There was abit of press about it after the interview, I'll have a look.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, my Top Ten, at the top of my head:

1) Lillee
2) McGrath
3) Barnes
4) Marshall
5) Spofforth
6) Hadlee
7) Khan
8) Akram
9) Ambrose
10) Donald

My Top 10 pace bowlers ever:

1.Imran Khan
2.Richard Hadlee
3.Malcom Marshall
4.Wasim Akram
5.Glenn McGrath
6.Curtley Ambrose
7.Sidney Barnes
8.Allan Donald
9.Joel Garner
10.Waqar Younis

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ok, I've watched it again, the part I am referring to is in YouTube, it is the 5th part, right at the end.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And why can't you prove that a certain drug hasn't had an effect on you?
Because thats the whole purpose of the masking agent.

And I love how he said, in the courts we proved it, well it was 'like' a court. OK, mate. Sure.

I hate harping on this fact because I certainly don't believe it helped him bowl any better, and really he got back to fitness sooner most likely due to the steroids, but then he lost a full year anyway, so I don't think it made any difference at all.

And just watching whole Parkinson interview thing, pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Because thats the whole purpose of the masking agent.

And I love how he said, in the courts we proved it, well it was 'like' a court. OK, mate. Sure.

I hate harping on this fact because I certainly don't believe it helped him bowl any better, and really he got back to fitness sooner most likely due to the steroids, but then he lost a full year anyway, so I don't think it made any difference at all.

And just watching whole Parkinson interview thing, pretty interesting.
I don't think a sports tribunal actually IS a court - as in a court of law - so he is accurate there. I don't know how that correction - or attempt of it - takes away from what he was trying to say. Anyway, taking a step back, it would be very unlike Warne to do as such anyway.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
ADD: Proving a masking agent isn't hiding anything is not proving a negative. Because masking agents are, to my knowledge, known to have been used when the sample is dilute. It may not show what was taken, but the nature of the sample will suggest suspicious actions. If they can, as Warne said, look at all his previous tests and see a normalcy, hence no suspecting dilution, then they can show that Warne hadn't done anything more than taken a diuretic.

This is just my simple knowledge of it, but I think I'm right.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trueman
Garner
Statham
Wasim
Marshall
Lindwall
Hadlee
Holding
Spofforth
Barnes

In no particular order.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see Trueman getting a run.

Just on the link in your signature - maybe that can balance my having smoked for a number of years.:ph34r: