• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Pace Bowlers Ever

Matt79

Global Moderator
SA said:
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Malcom Marshall
Joel Garner
Wasim Akram
Glenn McGrath
Curtley Ambrose
Allan Donald
Waqar Younis
Courtney Walsh

I don't consider bowlers who played before 1960s as "greats" because they almost always bowled on bowling friendly wickets.
The pitches in the 1930s were often some of the flatest you'd ever see, unless they were wet.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Off the top of my head -
1. Marshall
2. Lillee
3. Ambrose
4. Wasim
5. SF Barnes
6. McGrath
7. Lindwall
8. Hadlee
9. Trueman
10.Spoffoth

If Barnes is not counted because of his pace, slide everyone up and put Davidson in at 10.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
silentstriker said:
1. Glenn McGrath
2. Malcom Marshall
--------------------------
3. Trueman
4. Ambrose
5. Barnes
6. Hadlee
7. Imran
8. Lillee
9. Lindwall
10.Donald

My top ten list changes like every other day, but thats the gist of it. The first two are solid though.
you are entitled to ur opinion but u really must have something againts akram
u certainly seem to overrate mgrath as 99% of great fast bowlers if u asked them would not put him ahead of marhsall
also i think ambrose and akram are both on par with mgrath and akram played a bigger role in pakistans world cup win then mgrath did for australia

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If I put a penny on good length, Pathan can hit it 100 times out of 100, but each delivery would be different. He can bowl both inswinger, outwswinger and a reverse swinging ball in the same delivery - such is the legendary control and ability of the man.
Is it me, or do like six people now have me quoted in their sigs?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
mohammad16 said:
you are entitled to ur opinion but u really must have something againts akram
u certainly seem to overrate mgrath as 99% of great fast bowlers if u asked them would not put him ahead of marhsall
also i think ambrose and akram are both on par with mgrath and akram played a bigger role in pakistans world cup win then mgrath did for australia
Nothing against Akram mate, but I don't count ODI's as part of a player's performance when making lists like this.

Beleg

International Regular
1. Ambrose
2. Marshall
3. Donald
4. Garner
5. McGrath
6. Wasim
7. Waqar
8. Trueman
9. Holding
10. Davidson

bowlers I have actually watched (which IMO is a more valid selection)

1. Ambrose
2. Donald
3. McGrath
4. Wasim
5. Waqar
6. Pollock
7. Shoaib
8. Bishop
9. Bond
10. Walsh

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Is it me, or do like six people now have me quoted in their sigs?
Take it as a complement....btw, I've removed your Lillee quote from mine since you named him # 8 pacer of all-time :)

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Dennis Lillee
2. Malcolm Marshall
3. Sydney Barnes
4. Richard Hadlee
5. Wasim Akram
6. Glenn McGrath
7. Ray Lindwall
8. Fred Trueman
9. Curtley Ambrose
10. Alec Bedser

That's how it is this week, anyway. ;) It'll have changed (if only slightly) by the next time this question gets asked...

I'm a Lillee man and always have been - to me, he's like Viv in that while he has superb stats, they don't necessarily outweigh those of his contemporaries. But he had such a presence, an aura, an ability to single-handedly turn a match on its head, that virtually to a man every one of the men who played with and against him, not to mention those who watched him closely, rate him the best they ever saw.

Still, when I see the number of people on here who put Macko as their no.1 of all time I can have no real complaints about that either - he was an absolute machine, and I was always a huge fan. I remember being at the Gabba watching Australia v Pakistan when his death was announced at the ground, and it cast a shadow over the whole day's play.

Last edited:
Beleg said:
1. Ambrose
2. Marshall
3. Donald
4. Garner
5. McGrath
6. Wasim
7. Waqar
8. Trueman
9. Holding
10. Davidson

bowlers I have actually watched (which IMO is a more valid selection)

1. Ambrose
2. Donald
3. McGrath
4. Wasim
5. Waqar
6. Pollock
7. Shoaib
8. Bishop
9. Bond
10. Walsh
U're an idiot who really has something against Imran for no apparent reason.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
silentstriker said:
Nothing against Akram mate, but I don't count ODI's as part of a player's performance when making lists like this.
umm if u take a look at akrams tests stats, surely he hasnt taken as many wickets as mgrath
but he has played like 20 less test matches
his strike rate, average and economy are just a tad below mgrath
plus akram and waqar had it more difficult mostly bowling on low bounce low pace wickets in the subcontinent

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just off the cuff and taking each bowler at his peak. In no order except Barnes who will always be number one.

1. Barnes
2. Larwood
3. Tate ....from England
4. Lindwall
5. Lillee.....from Australia
6. Imran
7. Waqar .....from Pakistan
8. Marshall
9 Holding/Roberts from Windies
10. Hadlee from New Zealand.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
wow never thought of shoaib in the top 10 but he is probably the most entertaining fast bowler to have ever played cricket, plus when hes on song, hes dominated the best batsmen in the world
sure he doenst have the numbers to show for it, not even the consistency buy the guys been HUGE to crickets overall success, hes simply the best bowler to watch when on rythm

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yep was waiting for that. Warne did his crime, AND did his time. Doesn't totally exclude it, but goes a significant way towards doing so.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Matt79 said:
Yep was waiting for that. Warne did his crime, AND did his time. Doesn't totally exclude it, but goes a significant way towards doing so.
Still he remains a drug cheat, and if Akhtar's name is omitted coz of use of drug then i don't see why Warne's name is being proposed for being one of the best when he himself has been guilty of the same offence.