• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I rate both Gilchrist and Jayasuriya as equals in batting in ODIs. Both had similar roles and did their job perfectly as attacking openers, which is also one of the reason why they both average only in the mid 30s. Can't pick one over the other if it comes to just batting. Balance of the team will determine whether we go with Jayasuriya or Gilchrist.

From my watching days, I don't rate Symonds bowling much. He just picked up the left over pieces of Mcgrath, Warne and the other great to good Aussie bowlers of that time :) Jayasuriya is definitely a much better bowler than Symonds. On fielding Symonds beats him but Jayasuriya is a decent fielder as well. Both had different roles in batting.
I like your reasoning, you're still wrong, but I like that your wrongness is based on logic and common sense.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's wrong with

Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Viv
Kohli
De Villiers
Dhoni
Symonds
Akram
Saqlain
Garner
McGrath

In the subcontinent and;

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Viv
Kohli
De Villiers
Bevan
Klusener
Warne
Akram
Garner
McGrath

Everywhere else?

stephen

People often forget that Viv was a fifth bowler who took 118 wickets in ODIs. He can be the 6th bowler for the RoW team and can be the 7th bowler for the Asia team.

Jack1

International Debutant
People often forget that Viv was a fifth bowler who took 118 wickets in ODIs. He can be the 6th bowler for the RoW team and can be the 7th bowler for the Asia team.
The main issue is the thread is since 90s for the batting part and he averaged 27.9 in the 90s in ODIs with a lowly strike rate (and took no wickets with the ball for 154 runs if you wish to fact that into the equation).

stephen

The main issue is the thread is since 90s for the batting part and he averaged 27.9 in the 90s in ODIs with a lowly strike rate (and took no wickets with the ball for 154 runs if you wish to fact that into the equation).
Either of my teams can sub in Ponting for Viv and still have are least 5 bowlers.

TheJediBrah

What's wrong with

Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Viv
Kohli
De Villiers
Dhoni
Symonds
Akram
Saqlain
Garner
McGrath

In the subcontinent and;

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Viv
Kohli
De Villiers
Bevan
Klusener
Warne
Akram
Garner
McGrath

Everywhere else?
I suppose the only thing "wrong" with it is people like having one ATG team rather than splitting it.

Jack1

International Debutant
Either of my teams can sub in Ponting for Viv and still have are least 5 bowlers.
What's your point? The thread wasn't about having 5 bowlers in a team. I just stacked the batting with a playable side. I would play Jayasuria and Buttler at 6 and 7 to take the 5 bowlers onboard. But I played who I considered to be a stronger batting combo instead for the purpose of the thread. I could post up an all time test team here too, wouldn't be too relevant.

By the way Stephen I'm aware your team is ODIs, the back end of the first line is a joke. Because I know how you post I'll get that in here now.

I suppose the only thing "wrong" with it is people like having one ATG team rather than splitting it.
The problem with his teams is it isn't that simple. Some countries and surfaces in the subcontinent play different. Lord's for example in England is very different from Birmingham or Old Trafford. The World Cup this year had such a variation of pitches it was like a cross continent tournament. Australia vs England's pitches and the list is endless SL pitches vs India, SA vs NZ. What he's started for himself is a rabbit hole that ends up picking a team for every single ground never mind every country. Haha.

Last edited:

stephen

Your criticism of my side was that Viv didn't do well in the 90s and you wanted a 90s and later side. So I suggested one change to make it so. I have no idea what it is you're drivelling about with this:

By the way Stephen I'm aware your team is ODIs, the back end of the first line is a joke. Because I know how you post I'll get that in here now.
A) everyone in this thread is only taking ODIs;
B) I have no idea what you're thinking is a joke; and
C) the second sentence is a cheap shot but I have no idea what you're even referring to.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with his teams is it isn't that simple. Some countries and surfaces in the subcontinent play different. Lord's for example in England is very different from Birmingham or Old Trafford. The World Cup this year had such a variation of pitches it was like a cross continent tournament. Australia vs England's pitches and the list is endless SL pitches vs India, SA vs NZ. What he's started for himself is a rabbit hole that ends up picking a team for every single ground never mind every country. Haha.
Yeah, Stephen has this funny disdain for subcontinent cricket. When he has to dismiss a cricketer, he will just go "good only in subcontinent". Apart from the fact that subcontinent and non-subcontinent are not monoliths, what makes this quite silly is that he doesn't check if these cricketers were actually poor outside subcontinent. He has said that dismissively about Saqlain and Dhoni in past when they have both been gun in limited overs in pretty much all conditions.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Stephen does it. In my limited CC viewing, I have seen that Stephen loves picking ODI sides (just like me) and usually picks up good ODI sides with just a slight Australian bias. The reverse applies as well, like Gilchrist does well in subcontinent in ODIs too. So, I don't think there is a subcontinent bias.

While pitches all over the world are monotonous and flat nowadays, it was definitely different between sc and non-sc during the 90s and before.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Lucky that team looks like it could chase down anything because after it has bowled, anything is what they will be chasing.

TheJediBrah

One thing I like about it, very low chance of Dhoni ruining a run chase by batting too slowly from no. 11

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. Symonds is overrated. Jaya was a much better batsman and his bowling was more useful than the rubbish Symonds throws. Jaya was also a better batsman than Gilly.
And the difference between their fielding is not as big as many people like to believe. Jayasuriya was an absolute super star in the field. Probably anticipates the batsman's stroke better than many, so you rarely see ball going passed him, and he's not seen to be diving around much as well.

stephen

Yeah, Stephen has this funny disdain for subcontinent cricket. When he has to dismiss a cricketer, he will just go "good only in subcontinent". Apart from the fact that subcontinent and non-subcontinent are not monoliths, what makes this quite silly is that he doesn't check if these cricketers were actually poor outside subcontinent. He has said that dismissively about Saqlain and Dhoni in past when they have both been gun in limited overs in pretty much all conditions.
Not really. It's more Indian cricket than subcontinental cricket. And it's more anti- hero worship and anti-BCCI than anything else. Like when people put Sehwag in their top 10 ODI batsmen and then say that Bevan is overrated. Of course I'll criticise a player who isn't good outside the subcontinent more than a player who is good everywhere except one country. Similarly I criticise Australian players who aren't any good overseas (Hi Dave Warner).

What does annoy me is the attitude that stats are everything. Nothing substitutes for watching a player knowing the context for those stats. Otherwise Voges is to be considered better than anyone not named Smith or Bradman.

Of course we all have our biases, especially towards the players we love and hate, and the teams we love and hate. I've made it clear that I really dislike the weight that the BCCI throw around, getting their way too often (every third world cup!).

Burner

International Regular
Anti hero worship, heh. Bud, every other post of yours is about how Bevan could walk on water and use his dick as a walking stick..

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Stephen going full extent to make a strong case for Bevan to be in the top 10 odi batsmen of all time. Probably does not realize that many consider he already belongs there.