• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s

Jack1

International Debutant
For me it's not just that they are champions of batting friendly conditions, it's that they seem to be more likely than other greats to fail when presented with difficult conditions.

Now, that could be a wrong perception to various degrees, and for some it may not be a relevant factor, and that's all well and good.
They are more likely to completely dominate in more batting friendly conditions, so it works both ways. ATG games don't tend to be played on minefields. Asia vs ROW games tended to be high scoring not low scoring. It wasn't specified which era or decade they would play in either. The whole debate is rather vague "post 90s"

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I think John, you just need to wait and watch for Roy, Bairstow and Butler for a few more years. They will surely get there in 4-5 years, but not quite there yet because of medium sample size so far.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I gather that Roy and Bairstow are in contention for one of all time great opening pairs because once an umpire gave 6 overthrows rather than 5 when neither opener was on the ground.

Last edited:

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
I think John, you just need to wait and watch for Roy, Bairstow and Butler for a few more years. They will surely get there in 4-5 years, but not quite there yet because of medium sample size so far.
This. Excactly what I have been saying. He already seems to think that Roy/ Bairstow is better than Tendulkar/ Gilchrist and Butler is better than Dhoni in an ATG team.

Jack1

International Debutant
Jeez man why so aggressive and touchy? I was polite and made a simple argument.
You are barking up the wrong tree completely. Wow.

This. Excactly what I have been saying. He already seems to think that Roy/ Bairstow is better than Tendulkar/ Gilchrist and Butler is better than Dhoni in an ATG team.
I pick the side on what I see with my eyes. Like a coach would. Hey, everyone's different that's why the thread has been good. Not sure what Daemon is barking on about tho

No point being too salty about one ball in a 300 balls per side match up. We could easily analyse every ball and the fact Williamson out captained Morgan by at least 40 runs. I mentioned both things in another thread (the one about clutch players).

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's the list of opening batting partnerships for the last three years:

Partnership records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Roy and Bairstow are second on runs and the highest averaging pair until you get down to Khawaja and Finch.

In fact, Finch has been so very good over the last 3 years that if you take the runs he's scored with both Warner and Khawaja, his partnerships are averaging 64.6 over 37 matches, which is only a shade below what Roy and Bairstow are doing.

India's openers have made more runs due to playing together more often but because of the boom or bust nature of Rohit's batting, their average as a pair is relatively low.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are barking up the wrong tree completely. Wow.

I pick the side on what I see with my eyes. Like a coach would. Hey, everyone's different that's why the thread has been good. Not sure what Daemon is barking on about tho
I just made a couple of nice well mannered posts (not my usual MO tbf) and you called me ‘slow’. Feels like you’re taking any criticism against the pair personally and responding very aggressively.

Should chill out a bit imo, maybe visit sledger’s good boi video thread.

Jack1

International Debutant
I just made a couple of nice well mannered posts (not my usual MO tbf) and you called me ‘slow’. Feels like you’re taking any criticism against the pair personally and responding very aggressively.

Should chill out a bit imo, maybe visit sledger’s good boi video thread.
I call it as it is. You're struggling on that part. The problem is you take offence to everything, I take offence to nothing. I can reply to Stephen swiftly as I'm not offended by him, but I know what he is. If you think I'm offended then a mod can Skype me, I'm the opposite of that. The jokey profile pic should be a hint.

Daemon

I call it as it is. You're struggling on that part. The problem is you take offence to everything, I take offence to nothing. I can reply to Stephen swiftly as I'm not offended by him, but I know what he is. If you think I'm offended then a mod can Skype me, I'm the opposite of that. The jokey profile pic should be a hint.
:laugh:

Jack1

International Debutant
Yeah, funny. DW, I don't reply to you again you're a troll. I don't want to get banned. You've confirmed my earlier report of you at least, I hit the nail on the head to the mods with you before this.

Last edited:

Daemon

I'm ok with picking Buttler over Gilchrist and Dhoni in these exercises these days. He's dug England out of trouble in tough situations, played some of the most ridiculous finishing knocks, is consistently scoring at scary rates and was the best looking bat in a WC final. While his keeping leaves a fair bit of room for improvement, he could arguably sneak in there on batting alone. Dude's a freak and always has been, even when he first came on to the scene with that 140 List A strike rate.

Jack1

International Debutant
Unfortunately for you Daemon, I'm not white. You post back to me like I am, so does Stephen. Everyone else replies like I'm a person. Quite interesting. I won't say any more. This is about cricket, not politics - so don't make it about it.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
I'm ok with picking Buttler over Gilchrist and Dhoni in these exercises these days. He's dug England out of trouble in tough situations, played some of the most ridiculous finishing knocks, is consistently scoring at scary rates and was the best looking bat in a WC final. While his keeping leaves a fair bit of room for improvement, he could arguably sneak in there on batting alone. Dude's a freak and always has been, even when he first came on to the scene with that 140 List A strike rate.
He is up there but Dhoni and Gilly have done it for a much longer period.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I have literally no ****ing clue what is going on here but let's, uhh, leave it there.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like I've been accused of racism but I'm struggling to see how. John, you need too chill and quit going personal with all your posts.

Btw your skin colour means sweet FA to me. We're on a cricket forum with players of all colours and religions and beliefs. We come together to talk **** about cricket. Let's keep it to that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm not arguing with anything. Bevan was a better ODI player in my opinion. There aren't that easy to compare they were very different in play and intention.
No chance in hell Bevan was a "better ODI player" than Ponting.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I gather that Roy and Bairstow are in contention for one of all time great opening pairs because once an umpire gave 6 overthrows rather than 5 when neither opener was on the ground.
yeah fella, that was the sum of their contribution in that world cup.

bairstows back to back centuries in what were knock out games for england v india and new zealand and roy taking australia and in particular starc to the cleaners in the semis contributed nothing to a world cup win.

cute post tho

Jack1

International Debutant
yeah fella, that was the sum of their contribution in that world cup.

bairstows back to back centuries in what were knock out games for england v india and new zealand and roy taking australia and in particular starc to the cleaners in the semis contributed nothing to a world cup win.

cute post tho
He made a fool of himself with his post that's for sure. Uncovered the level of bias behind his posts, quite sad. :happy: inb4 ban