• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Who are the top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s? We are talking the best from three decades - 90s, 00s and 10s.

My pick would be,

Sachin

De villiers
Kohli
Lara

Ponting
Anwar
Gilchrist
Sehwag
Jayasuriya
Dhoni

Honorable mentions: Bevan, De Silva, Azharuddin, Amla and R Sharma

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good list except Sehwag shouldn't be in there ahead of Bevan. I'd probably say Rohit has done enough to bump Anwar or Lara down as well. Ross Taylor, Mark Waugh and Ganguly also deserve honorable mentions.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
I honestly think Bevan is overrated. People look at his average and go whoa. While his average is something very special his runs per inning is not. Being a lower order batsman, too many not outs contributed to his high batting avg. And more importantly his scoring rate has mostly been merely good. And he doesn't have the longevity of most of the other batsmen in the list. But there is no denying that he has led his team to some unbelievable wins a handful of times. So I would have him a cut below the top 10.

And Sehwag is really underrated. One of the most feared batsmen of his time, nobody has scored as many runs in ODIs with the same strike rate. He is a top 5, if not top 3, batsmen of the 2000s. And I don't know how anybody can deny his place in the top 10 of the last 3 decades.

Jack1

International Debutant
Kohli
Tendulkar
De Villiers
Buttler
Bairstow
Roy
Gilchrist
Rohit Sharma
Bevan
Sehwag

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I honestly think Bevan is overrated. People look at his average and go whoa. While his average is something very special his runs per inning is not. Being a lower order batsman, too many not outs contributed to his high batting avg. And more importantly his scoring rate has mostly been merely good. And he doesn't have the longevity of most of the other batsmen in the list. But there is no denying that he has led his team to some unbelievable wins a handful of times. So I would have him a cut below the top 10.

And Sehwag is really underrated. One of the most feared batsmen of his time, nobody has scored as many runs in ODIs with the same strike rate. He is a top 5, if not top 3, batsmen of the 2000s. And I don't know how anybody can deny his place in the top 10 of the last 3 decades.
It's so nice you've put forward a dissertation on how incredibly bad you are as a judge of cricketing skills.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When it comes to rating ODI batsmen, as a sanity check ask yourself which side should have the most batsmen in your top ten. Should it be a) the side with 4 world cup wins out of the eight world cups; or b) the side that had to throw a tantrum to get a home World Cup so they had a chance of winning. Should it be a) the side that had never failed to make the knockout stage or b) the side that couldn't make it out of the first round ahead of Bangladesh who were a complete minnow at the time.

Now I know it's tempting to say b for both because obviously meaningless bilateral series where teams rest their best players are so much more meaningful than world cups, but the correct answer is a.

Top three batsmen of the 90s:

Bevan
Lara
De Silva

Top 3 of the 00s:

Ponting
Tendulkar
Hayden

Top 3 of the 10s:

De Villiers
Kohli
Dhoni

Top batsman not mentioned:
Gilchrist

Which makes the top 10:

Bevan
De Villiers
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kohli
Lara
Dhoni
Hayden
De Silva
Gilchrist

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
When it comes to rating ODI batsmen, as a sanity check ask yourself which side should have the most batsmen in your top ten. Should it be a) the side with 4 world cup wins out of the eight world cups; or b) the side that had to throw a tantrum to get a home World Cup so they had a chance of winning. Should it be a) the side that had never failed to make the knockout stage or b) the side that couldn't make it out of the first round ahead of Bangladesh who were a complete minnow at the time.

Now I know it's tempting to say b for both because obviously meaningless bilateral series where teams rest their best players are so much more meaningful than world cups, but the correct answer is a.

Bevan
Lara
De Silva

Top 3 of the 00s:

Ponting
Tendulkar
Hayden

Top 3 of the 10s:

De Villiers
Kohli
Dhoni

Gilchrist

Which makes the top 10:

Bevan
De Villiers
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kohli
Lara
Dhoni
Hayden
De Silva
Gilchrist
Tendulkar was a better ODI batsman in 1990s than in 2000s. His average and strike rate didn't move much in the 2000s compared to 1990s when batting was tougher, though he played lesser in ODIs in the second half. Also played a lot in the middle order in the first half which didn't help his average.

He is a better ODI batsman in 1990s than De Silva. Not saying Aravinda wasn't great by the way. Best batsman of 1990s isn't a clear cut case. Bevan,Lara, Tendulkar and Anwar have a good case.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Bevan
Lara
De Silva

Top 3 of the 00s:

Ponting
Tendulkar
Hayden

Top 3 of the 10s:

De Villiers
Kohli
Dhoni

Gilchrist

Which makes the top 10:

Bevan
De Villiers
Ponting
Tendulkar
Kohli
Lara
Dhoni
Hayden
De Silva
Gilchrist
It's so nice you've put forward a dissertation on how incredibly bad you are as a judge of cricketing skills.

May be a warning from Spark about not ****ting on players of poster's country coming up. May be.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly think Bevan is overrated. People look at his average and go whoa. While his average is something very special his runs per inning is not. Being a lower order batsman, too many not outs
Couldn't continue reading after this.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe Stephen's delusions about his own ability to judge cricketers. After extolling importance of world cups he picks Lara and De silva as top 3 ODI batsmen of 90s when they averaged 44 and 40 respectively in 90s world cups while few others who averaged 50+ are omitted. For De Silva I can understand for his 96 world cup exploits but Lara's inclusion makes no sense. You would have a better argument with Waugh twins for 90s if you want to use world cups. But Stephen doesn't believe in facts.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I honestly think Bevan is overrated. People look at his average and go whoa. While his average is something very special his runs per inning is not. Being a lower order batsman, too many not outs contributed to his high batting avg. And more importantly his scoring rate has mostly been merely good.
This is what you get when looking at a spreadsheet rather than actually seeing him play in a totally different era than today lol

So gutted Bevan couldn't turn his ODI game into Tests.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is what you get when looking at a spreadsheet rather than actually seeing him play in a totally different era than today lol

So gutted Bevan couldn't turn his ODI game into Tests.
Well if you look at spreadsheets carefully it will emerge that Bevan's average was far ahead of his peers and he was only one among his contemporaries to average 50+. It's only when you start fudging with spreadsheet you come to those ridiculous conclusions.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar was a better ODI batsman in 1990s than in 2000s. His average and strike rate didn't move much in the 2000s compared to 1990s when batting was tougher, though he played lesser in ODIs in the second half. Also played a lot in the middle order in the first half which didn't help his average.

He is a better ODI batsman in 1990s than De Silva. Not saying Aravinda wasn't great by the way. Best batsman of 1990s isn't a clear cut case. Bevan,Lara, Tendulkar and Anwar have a good case.
Tendulkar was the best in the '90s.