• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI batsmen since the 90s

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
1. Bairstow
2. Roy
3. Tendulkar
4. De Villiers
5. Kohli (c)
6. Bevan
7. Gilchrist (wk)
8. Hadlee
9. Murali
10. Garner
11. McGrath

Good luck getting Dhoni or Jayasuria in that team. Because they don't deserve to be in it. Your only argument can be Jayasuria over Bevan, but your problem is Bevan is a proven finisher - you have no merit batting Jayasuria in any slot in this team. That's just my opinion however. As for Dhoni I'd not pick him over Gilchrist in any position in the order. I simply consider Gilchrist more talented and more of a team player. Before you say I'm missing a bowler, unlikely. The four front line bowlers are likely to take 8 wickets minimum even if you don't bowl a 5th bowler til the 41st over. Most likely the team other gets bowled out inside 35 overs unless Bradman plays for them, in which case that couldn't be the team anyway - it would be adapted to try to counter him. Plus Bradman never played an ODI, so didn't need to factor that in anyway.
Honestly, it's really odd to see Bairstow and Roy among the other names. They really shouldn't be in any ATG team. Not that they aren't good. Just wait a few more years at least until they score 6000 runs and we will see if they are still as good.

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
It's weird how underrated Sehwag is. To people still questioning how he is in anybody's top 10 from last 3 decades. Just look at his peak years, 2008-11. In those 4 years he averaged 47.35 with a SR of 123.02. Nobody could match those stats during that period. He was a nightmare for the bowlers.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's weird how underrated Sehwag is. To people still questioning how he is in anybody's top 10 from last 3 decades. Just look at his peak years, 2008-11. In those 4 years he averaged 47.35 with a SR of 123.02. Nobody could match those stats during that period. He was a nightmare for the bowlers.
Sehwag was good, nobody is denying that. But the wasn't any better than Jayasuriya or Gilchrist and they had other strings to their bow. And then you also need to compare him to Tendulkar who batted at the other end for his entire career. And Tendulkar was a lot better for a lot longer.

Jack1

International Debutant
Honestly, it's really odd to see Bairstow and Roy among the other names. They really shouldn't be in any ATG team. Not that they aren't good. Just wait a few more years at least until they score 6000 runs and we will see if they are still as good.
Not really. It's the best opening partnership in ODI history but absolute daylight. The only reason you guys aren't picking them is because they play for England. I wasn't born yesterday.

stephen

Not really. It's the best opening partnership in ODI history but absolute daylight. The only reason you guys aren't picking them is because they play for England. I wasn't born yesterday.
Not really. They're good, but they're not exactly Greenidge and Haynes, Tendulkar and Sehwag, Gilchrist and Waugh, Gilchrist and Hayden, Dhawan and Sharma or Finch and Warner :ph34r:

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
Sehwag was good, nobody is denying that. But the wasn't any better than Jayasuriya or Gilchrist and they had other strings to their bow. And then you also need to compare him to Tendulkar who batted at the other end for his entire career. And Tendulkar was a lot better for a lot longer.
Jayasuriya and Gilchrist is a good comparison for Sehwag. Even though I would say Sehwag is better than Jayasuriya and Gilly is a tad better than Sehwag. And it doesn't matter if they had other strings to their bow as we are only rating them on their batting ability here. And I don't need to compare anyone with Sachin, he is the numero uno here.

Jack1

International Debutant
The best 3 opening partnership historically have been: Greenidge/Haynes, Tendulkar/Ganguly, Hayden/Gilchrist. Now Rohit/Dhawan are getting there.

Records | One-Day Internationals | Partnership records | Highest overall partnership runs by openers | ESPNcricinfo.com
You taking the piss mate? Roy and Bairstow are the clear front runner there. Best average opening partnership by a distance and they score the fastest. 11 one hundred stands in 33 ODIs is insane. This isn't rocket science. By your logic the best test, odi and t20i player is based on runs alone. Talk about cherry picking and clutching at straws. Seriously wow.

my bad it was stephen that put Sehwag he posted above you. Your list is decent, those are good pairings (the three mentioned of Greenidge/Haynes, Tendulkar/Ganguly, Hayden/Gilchrist are contenders - however Rohit and Dhawan are miles behind these three and Roy/Bairstow) I don't think any pair is as good as Roy and Bairstow. The speed they score at plus the average trumps the rest in my book.

Last edited:

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
My playing XI since the 90s,

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Kohli
Lara
De villiers
Bevan
Klusenar
Pollock
Akram
Muralitharan
McGrath

Try and beat that.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Tendulkar
Kohli
Ponting
Ab devilliers
Dhoni
Bevan
Gilchrist
Sharma
Dhawan
Jos butler.

Honorable mentions-anwar, lara, symonds, watson, sanga, klusener.

5 indians but all of them deseve to be there.
For me dhawan is better than saeed anwar as anwar's record vs aus and sa (best bowling sides) is really poor.

Sharma is a monster in odis and in the coming years he will compete with kohli.

Jack1

International Debutant
My playing XI since the 90s,

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Kohli
Lara
De villiers
Bevan
Klusenar
Pollock
Akram
Muralitharan
McGrath

Try and beat that.
Bairstow
Roy
Ponting
ABv
Kohli (c)
Jayasuria
Buttler (wk)
Pollock
Akram
Murali
McGrath

Sachin has **** stats at 3. Ponting it is with those insane stats. Not sure why Sachin's stats are so horrible at 3, the sample size doesn't help much. I'm sure he would be adapted if he'd played 50 games there, but Ponting makes sense over him I guess. When it's about a team rather than shoe-horning a top 7 of batsmen into the side then I have to think a bit more carefully hence Bevan missing out for Jayasuria as I need more bowling than my earlier post in the thread that was purely batting focused. Yesterday I just shoehorned Sachin in at 3 as I was just playing the best 7 players in a team on paper, I wasn't really intending the (previous ) listed team to play. This team intends to play in any era 90s, 00s or 10s and be competitive/dominate. I'm not convinced you have enough firepower up top to dominate the 10s.

Last edited:

venkyrenga

U19 12th Man
You taking the piss mate? Roy and Bairstow are the clear front runner there. Best average opening partnership by a distance and they score the fastest. 11 one hundred stands in 33 ODIs is insane. This isn't rocket science. By your logic the best test, odi and t20i player is based on runs alone. Talk about cherry picking and clutching at straws. Seriously wow.

my bad it was stephen that put Sehwag he posted above you.
Mate the problem is the pair has scored barely 1/3rd the runs Sachin and Ganguly has. Longevity matters a lot when it comes to ATG discussions.

DE Silva, Amla, Ganguly, etc. were all great at one point but not for too long. That is why people hardly mention them in ATG discussions. I haven't even mentioned Sharma in my top 10 even though I am pretty sure he will get there in sometime.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Mate the problem is the pair has scored barely 1/3rd the runs Sachin and Ganguly has. Longevity matters a lot when it comes to ATG discussions.

DE Silva, Amla, Ganguly, etc. were all great at one point but not for too long. That is why people hardly mention them in ATG discussions. I haven't even mentioned Sharma in my top 10 even though I am pretty sure he will get there in sometime.
It can matter but their average and S/R as a pair is massive so that counter balances it enough for me.

mr_mister

More longevity uber alles from the usual suspects

I assume you guys rate Atherton over Bradman. More test runs or didnt you know

Longevity shlongevity

Jack1

International Debutant
More longevity uber alles from the usual suspects

I assume you guys rate Atherton over Bradman. More test runs or didnt you know

Longevity shlongevity
Longevity is irrelevant. It's like saying the dude with the highest total record in olympic lifting doesn't count because mickey mouse lifted 90% of the record for 20 years. Or saying that Joe Bloggs ran 10 flat for a 40 years career so he's better than Usain Bolt for an all time Olympic Athletics team. The whole thing is bollocks, but that's just my opinion and I am happy for others to hold their own opinion.

stephen

Bairstow and Roy have scored all of their runs in the easiest batting conditions in history. Their opening average isn't worth much more than 45 in a different era. Statistically, batting since around 2014 in ODIs has been ridiculously easy. It's hard to use statistics to justify anything with comparison to other eras.

That's not to say Bairstow and Roy aren't good. They clearly are, and are up there with the best opening partnerships around today (and are probably at the top of that tree too). But to say they're better than the other great opening partnerships in ODI history is a stretch at best.