• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tillakaratne Dilshan vs Mark Waugh

Better international batsman

• Tillakaratne Dilshan

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Mark Waugh

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Can't figure why some of Steve Waugh's toughness did not rub off on Mark. Seemingly more talented, he was the polar opposite of his twin. Nature over Nurture, I suppose

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
This is actually a really interesting comparison. I think in Tests Waugh is slightly ahead. Clearly faced better attacks etc. And is obviously the most pleasing on the eye.

Dilshan for me in ODI's. Still though, Junior was such a gun in WC's I feel. Which counts for something. Without looking I feel like Dilshan has a poor WC record?

Both terrific fielders. I would argue Dilshan is probably the better bowler. He was a genuine AR for SL in ODI's.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
What next? Jacob Oram vs. some middle of the road, bits and pieces sub continent role player from the 1990s?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
To make both Slippy and the rest happy, we can probably create one single comparison thread where slippy can post all the comparisons he wishes to discuss. Just like the ATG discussion thread.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To make both Slippy and the rest happy, we can probably create one single comparison thread where slippy can post all the comparisons he wishes to discuss. Just like the ATG discussion thread.
I actually already did this. I spent a good hour merging every random player thread he'd created since the dawn of time into one giant thread, and he still makes new ones.

To be fair I don't think the comparison threads are really the ones that pissed people off -- it was just the ones he'd create about Random Retired Mediocre Player X and how they wasted their talent.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Can't figure why some of Steve Waugh's toughness did not rub off on Mark. Seemingly more talented, he was the polar opposite of his twin. Nature over Nurture, I suppose
Were there better number 4s doing the Shield rounds? The guy played 130 Tests, scored over 8000 runs. Those stats and that sort of longevity doesn't come easy.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is actually a really interesting comparison. I think in Tests Waugh is slightly ahead. Clearly faced better attacks etc. And is obviously the most pleasing on the eye.

Dilshan for me in ODI's. Still though, Junior was such a gun in WC's I feel. Which counts for something. Without looking I feel like Dilshan has a poor WC record?

Both terrific fielders. I would argue Dilshan is probably the better bowler. He was a genuine AR for SL in ODI's.
Dilshan was the highest scorer in 2011 WC, denying Tendulkar the chance to be the lead scorer for 3rd time in a world cup by just a few runs.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's actually a very apt comparison given they both contributed part time bowling and were excellent fielders, traits which gave them particular edge in ODIs. Was too young to watch Waugh so can't really make a judgement myself

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol, I just looked at their figures (batting and bowling). Aside from batting strike rate which Dilshan is well ahead on they're markedly similar. I don't have much of an opinion myself.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Waugh was lucky really. got to hide himself amongst his betters and benefited as a result. even all this 'he so talented, just didn't care' is a nice way of saying he was a mental weakling.
Except he played some of the best knocks in tough situations by an Australian in the era. :sleep:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Waugh was lucky really. got to hide himself amongst his betters and benefited as a result. even all this 'he so talented, just didn't care' is a nice way of saying he was a mental weakling.
Haha, the "mental weakling" who played more tests for his nation than ANY cricketer from NZ

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Incorrect. It started with Michael Clarke. It's carried on thru Warner (and his influence on Smith).

And it'll end when either Renshaw, Cummins or Handscomb get the captaincy.

Flem274*

123/5
i think it's quite clear australia have always been weak really, it's just more noticeable now. the one sport they're good at that some people in the world also care about is also the only sport where you're allowed to talk it up from the safety of the slips and the opposition isn't allowed to hurt you.

they'll never have rugby (real rugby) as their main sport because then the brad haddins and steve waughs of this world would be allowed to get steam rolled by far more masculine, mentally strong nations. probably even some weak ones like england too now i think of it. they can't even keep a prime minister for more than a few minutes at a time before someone watches too much game of thrones and bins him or her.

and before the indians in the audience start getting comfortable, i'll remind everyone they're basically the same country minus the ability to bowl fast.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't forget Australia also plays "International Rules", an awesome fast flowing sport where the Australians & Irish get together to engage in bloody fracas year after year. Not that anyone else in the world cares about it or anything.