• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tillakaratne Dilshan vs Mark Waugh

Better international batsman

• Tillakaratne Dilshan

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Mark Waugh

Votes: 15 71.4%

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's very close as ODI bats. Mark Waugh deserves points for being gun in World Cups. Dilshan was good in 11' too. Both great, stylish and quick scoring bats. Dilshan I feel is a bit underrated. Great thread slippy.

I'll take Mark Waugh as the better test bat and in ODis too.

Last edited:

Burgey

Dilshan was awesome tbh. Loved his work. All while playing the villain in every spaghetti western ever made.

flibbertyjibber

Mark Waugh is one of my favourite players ever despite being a chump who gave it away as he seemed to get bored/find it too easy. So easy on the eye and if he had his brothers mentality to back his talent he'd be one of the greats. Dilshan was a hack in comparison but a tidy ODI player.

TheJediBrah

Not how sure how Dilshan would have gone facing the kind of fast bowling Mark Waugh did throughout his career

Dilshan undoubtedly a great player though, but ugly as sin to watch. Least aesthetic batting technique I've ever seen.

morgieb

I feel like Dilshan's peak was more productive than Junior's, but Waugh was definitely the better batsman overall.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not how sure how Dilshan would have gone facing the kind of fast bowling Mark Waugh did throughout his career

Dilshan undoubtedly a great player though, but ugly as sin to watch. Least aesthetic batting technique I've ever seen.
Would have done very well. Ferocious puller and hooker and very strong on cut and upper cuts. Intimidating him with pace wouldn't have worked.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Difficult question. Dilshan was loose for a test batsman, but he did make massive scores even on green tracks like Lords. Mark Waugh, faced better pace bowlers in his test career for sure. So I would give it for Waugh in the tests. In ODIs, there's is not much comparison. The pace that Dilshan made his runs and averaging 46 at opening position is good enough for him to be considered in ATG ODI opening batsmen.

TheJediBrah

With the ODIs in particular you need to take into account the eras. There was a huge shift in conditions in favour of batting around the early 2000s that coincided almost perfectly with the end of Waugh's career and the start of Dilshan's.

I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say that averaging 40 during Waugh's career is equivalent to averaging 50 during Dilshan's

Himannv

International Coach
Didn't fancy either of these two in Tests, but they're obviously both great ODI players. Mark Waugh is an easy choice for me though since he's a favourite of mine and I so enjoyed watching him bat.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Joke comparison. For a few years, Mark was regularly ranked up there with Tendulkar and Lara in popular estimation (don't know about stats and points). Certainly was no less talented than either.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Waugh really hurt his average by throwing away his wicket after hitting 100. Considered the job done. Only one 150+ score and it was only 153. Polar opposite to Lara really

Flem274*

123/5
Joke comparison. For a few years, Mark was regularly ranked up there with Tendulkar and Lara in popular estimation (don't know about stats and points). Certainly was no less talented than either.
yeah but he was ****ing **** in comparison to them

memes who open the batting to fast bowlers like manly men beat pretty bois hiding in the middle order who aren't even the best in their family all day every day. dilshan it is.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
And during his heyday, Dilshan was one of the ODI opener of the era.

Even SRs compared with relative to the era, Dilshan is at front. Waugh was a part of a great ODI team. Dilshan was once a part of a good team which was ageing and dwindling. All these have to be taken in to account.

Flem274*

123/5
Waugh was lucky really. got to hide himself amongst his betters and benefited as a result. even all this 'he so talented, just didn't care' is a nice way of saying he was a mental weakling.