• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who should have played more

chasingthedon

International Regular
Fred "Nutty" Martin got into his one test against Australia in 1890 because it was perceived (correctly given he got 12 wickets) that a left arm spinner was needed - Johnny Briggs was not fit and Yorkshire refused to release Bobby Peel hence a last minute call up for Martin - according to his obituary he lost his ability to turn the ball after 1891 hence, presumably, his not playing again
How the feck do you know this?!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hemang Badani
Shabbir Ahmed
Mervyn Dillon
Ben Hollioake
Dean Jones
Agree with Shabbir; Badani, possibly; Dillon no, he was very poor; Ben Hollioake, while his death was tragic as he was a young man beloved by most who knew him, wasn't anywhere near as good a player as some would have you believe and would've been extremely unlikely to have had a particularly outstanding career; and Dean Jones was in many ways fortunate to play as much as he did as he was a dead-Test bully for a good proportion of his career.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think it was more due to the fact that he finally got an away going delivery.
Length had always been a problem with Srinath abroad right through his test career. I give more credit to getting his length right than any other asset.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Brian Close - if you're good enough to play Test cricket at 18 and 45, you ought to be good enough to play more than 22 Tests in between.

Loads of South Africans, obviously: Pollock, Procter, Rice, van der Bijl, le Roux, Cook spring to mind but doubtless there are dozens of others.

Stuart Law
Michael Slater
SF Barnes

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Broad played against Australia in '89 didn't he?

Given Atherton came in the following summer (and Stewart had already been there and thereabouts, batting lower in the order and went to the top when Atherton disappeared with injury), after a short spell when Gooch decided Wayne Larkins was work a crack in Tests :wacko: I've always thought of Atherton being a straight replacement for Broad.
iirc Broad played in the 1st 2 tests against Aus in 1989. Atherton did play later in that series (maybe in the 4th or 5th tests) but as a number 3.

My point, fwiw, was that Broad had been only an occasional member of the side in the 2 years before Athers became a regular opener. He also only played in 2 tests out of 5 against WI in 1988. By the time Broad went to SA, his test career was already looking like something that had ended a little while previously. It's not a big deal, tbh. :)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
iirc Broad played in the 1st 2 tests against Aus in 1989. Atherton did play later in that series (maybe in the 4th or 5th tests) but as a number 3.

My point, fwiw, was that Broad had been only an occasional member of the side in the 2 years before Athers became a regular opener. He also only played in 2 tests out of 5 against WI in 1988. By the time Broad went to SA, his test career was already looking like something that had ended a little while previously. It's not a big deal, tbh. :)
AWTA

inbox24

International Debutant
Definitely these guys

Andy Bichel
Stuart MacGill
Michael Bevan
Darren Lehmann
David Hussey
Brad Hodge

Could have made another international team with them.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Hemang Badani
Shabbir Ahmed
Mervyn Dillon
Ben Hollioake
Dean Jones
Merv Dillon, ha! he was a joke for us. A better West Indian choice could be Pedro Collins, he had some decent talent, was different, could always swing it, should be in the side now but looks like he aint going to be anymore due to County championship and its ridiculous kolpack rulings.

DingDong

State Captain
Mick Henry. Played for my club. Should've plyed for Australia too. Couldn't break into the our
first X1 'cos the coach's son was playing as the wk. Grrr....bloody division C grade cricket politics.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Charlie Badcock always struck me as a 1930's Graham Hick in that he was brillant in 1st class cricket but mediocre at best in tests.