• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who proved you wrong

Howe_zat

Audio File
I thought Raina would be one of the best players of the decade. I thought Nathan Lyon would be a one off joke selection like Michael Beer or Xavier Doherty.

Stuart Broad sticks out as having proven A LOT of people wrong

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Biggest disappointment for me is Morne Morkel.... thought he would be up there with the SA all time greats.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James Anderson. 20 matches into his test career he had 62 wickets at just under 40. Don't think anyone would have predicted he would get another 400 at that stage.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
You thought Ryder would be better or worse than he turned out?
Figured he would be better. Figured he would be a solid low to mid 40s averaging batsman for New Zealand, and be part of a middle order triumvirate with Ross Taylor and Kane Williamson that would take New Zealand's test cricket to greater heights

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I thought Raina would be one of the best players of the decade. I thought Nathan Lyon would be a one off joke selection like Michael Beer or Xavier Doherty.

Stuart Broad sticks out as having proven A LOT of people wrong
Tbf I thought Broad would average 22-25. I mean it's still theoretically possible...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Biggest disappointment for me is Morne Morkel.... thought he would be up there with the SA all time greats.
Funny really, I think the guys proven me wrong by taking as many wickets as he has, never rated at all.

Plenty of "givens" mentioned here that obviously you have to go along with from an English perspective, Hick and Ramps of course the stand-outs. Tim Robinson looked godly until he met the Windies pacemen, then he looked an hack.

I was a massive fan of John Morris, thought he'd be a middle-order staple for years, now more remembered as a co-pilot, as his cricinfo pic signifies.

Have to say I always liked Anderson and Broad, one always swung it at pace, the other just bowled unplayable balls. Didn't think they'd do what they've done though, simply because England bowlers since Botham (and even he in a way) have contrived to underachieve, mainly through injury and patchy form.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
I remember thinking Pujara would be the next Indian ATG bat. Obviously he still could be a very good player but won't scale those heights.

Howe_zat

Audio File
James Anderson. 20 matches into his test career he had 62 wickets at just under 40. Don't think anyone would have predicted he would get another 400 at that stage.
I have every now and then had a look at old threads because it's interesting to see this in full effect, and Anderson probably cops the worst of it, any thread from ~2008 really has it in for him

He is being bashed because he inst very good. He isnt as good a bowler as he was 5 years ago and he will do nothing but struggle in the long term in Test cricket.
For those who don't know Goughy, he does know his fast bowling onions, so it's not just groupthink at play

nazia08

Cricket Spectator
Muhammad Asif, after his debut I think most would agree that he didn't look all that special, but he became one of the best bowlers in the world, although also one of the stupidest Other than that, Steve Smith, Nathan Lyon, Umar Amin (not in a positive manner), Azhar Ali (didn't really rate him initially, proved me very wrong), Corey Anderson to an extent.

Nazia Ruhi | Kenya Team

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I thought James Harris would make Broad look like Ben Hilfenhaus.

And I thought Ben Hilfenhaus would be the next McGrath.

flibbertyjibber

I have every now and then had a look at old threads because it's interesting to see this in full effect, and Anderson probably cops the worst of it, any thread from ~2008 really has it in for him
At the time he would bowl a 4 ball every over and only took wickets if it was swinging and was rubbish if it didn't. I can understand the criticism he got, the way he has answered it since has been brilliant.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Funny really, I think the guys proven me wrong by taking as many wickets as he has, never rated at all.
He had all the ability in the world, pace, bounce (from a good height) could even swing the ball.... but his length has let him down. And he never fixed it, he has always struggled to pitch the ball up and just bowled his 'natural' back of a length stuff.

And thinking about it Duminy has also been a huge waste of talent. Could never quite make it into the great bracket, good but not great. And his bowling which showed so much promise has just totally devolved.

Gob

International Coach
I also thought Umar Akmal would be great still could be. Any more Akmals waiting to come?

Gob

International Coach
I remember thinking Pujara would be the next Indian ATG bat. Obviously he still could be a very good player but won't scale those heights.
This too. He is still good but nowhere near as great as I anticipated

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

For those who don't know Goughy, he does know his fast bowling onions, so it's not just groupthink at play
He didn't rate Broad either did he, summat about his action?

Last edited:

Daemon

He had all the ability in the world, pace, bounce (from a good height) could even swing the ball.... but his length has let him down. And he never fixed it, he has always struggled to pitch the ball up and just bowled his 'natural' back of a length stuff.

And thinking about it Duminy has also been a huge waste of talent. Could never quite make it into the great bracket, good but not great. And his bowling which showed so much promise has just totally devolved.
A lot of the time it's hard for him to pitch it up though because he'll be driven all day if he isn't getting any movement.

Rate the guy, bowls with heart and he's done a pretty good job for SA over the years. Pity it looks like he won't get too many games in the near future barring injuries.

OverratedSanity

It's so ****ing pathetic that our disappointments are the Ishants and Sreesanths while SA fans' disappointments are Morkels.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ravindera Jadeja (not like he has set the world on fire but I expected much worse).