• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Third placed teams

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
paging Pickup, Howe, Uppercut, Cab and all the other saddos who really like spreadsheets more than watching the game

Basically the format is an abomination unto Nuggan, kills the group stages and makes for a random chaos of knockouts, and allows everyone who hates mathematics and logic to spew their "oh it's so confusing" hate. I think I'd prefer having the 4 best group winners get a bye to the quarter-finals and a shorter break between group stage and second round, this would make for top-2 through while also allowing for a bonus to teams who got through the group stages with excellent results.

There's some kind of bizarre permutations in head-to-head being the tie-breaker for the group stage but goal difference for cross-group as well, you could potentially have a second placed team going through with a worse points and GD record than a third-placed team from the same group who is knocked out.

As Brumby said in the England/Wales thread:

We already have 4 points. Any permutation of results leaves us third at worst and in the three world cups with this format 4points has always been enough to go through for any team in third.

Norway got 4 in 94, but somehow managed to come fourth as Italy, Ireland and Mexico all got 4 points too.
Can't really see that being broken, only way group E reaches 4 points is if Ireland upset Italy, and Northern Ireland also have their work cut out to reach 4 points. Sounds like Uppercut will really need the abacus.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Albania will be rooting for a comfortable England win tonight. Going to be interesting how it plays out over the next few days

I remember in 94, Italy were relying on other results to finish as one of the best thirds. Cameroon could have ousted them with a big win over Russia but lost 6-1, and South Korea also could have done but failed to beat Bolivia (though I think in that case it may have been before Italy's game)

Bit of a freak set of results in 94 mind you. Two groups with three teams on six and one with all teams on four with a GD of zero

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think Uruguay qualified with 2 points in 86.

Famously played 89 minutes with 10 men versus yer Sweaties who couldn't break them down.

Although that was under 2 points for a win.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This format's been piss. 3rd round of group games has been a complete waste of time, absolutely no tension whatsoever.

If they're going to keep it at 24 teams then the 4 best group winners should qualify for the quarter finals and the 1st knockout round should be the 2 worst winners and the 6 second placed sides.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Could go four groups of six but then it's dead rubber city

Really they should have kept it to 16. Or gone all the way to 32. Then Scotland might have made the play offs

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

Third-placed team
1Slovakia31113-340
2Norn Iron31022-230
3Portugal30302-230
4Turkey31022-43-2
5Albania31021-33-2
6Sweden30212-32-1

Asssuming all draws in the other group, which is unlikely but as good a starting point as any.
Either Sweden or Eire has to win to put themselves in, though, while the group E 3rd (whoever it is) is very unlikely (goal swing of a lot) to fall below Turkey.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I've got that as well barring a group E upset

Also Wales - Turkey, Croatia - 3rd placed F and Germany - Slovakia (repeat of the pre-tournament friendly)

A group E upset would knock Turkey out, move NI to that spot and send the group E third to play France.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Croatia have looked good. Pre tournament I'd have expected sides to rather face them than us but not now. Still, finishing first, second or third in F seems like there's no easy option. Italy, England or Croatia. All about going through.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Could go four groups of six but then it's dead rubber city

Really they should have kept it to 16. Or gone all the way to 32. Then Scotland might have made the play offs
It could expand to 48 teams and we'd find a way to not qualify.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
All thirds finishing with at least three points seems to defy what was tipped before the tournament. General thought process seemed to be one win gets you through

Furball

Evil Scotsman
For the third placed teams I reckon the first tiebreaker for teams who finish level on points should be games won.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It is what it is. At least we have three points for a win. At Italia 90 Netherlands were ranked above Uruguay who had a win and a draw.

I mean on the flipside should a side who hasn't lost go out over a side who has lost twice?

Also it's Turkey not Albania who Portugal have knocked out

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is what it is. At least we have three points for a win. At Italia 90 Netherlands were ranked above Uruguay who had a win and a draw.

I mean on the flipside should a side who hasn't lost go out over a side who has lost twice?

Also it's Turkey not Albania who Portugal have knocked out
Winning is more important than not losing IMO.