• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

They could have been great but...

archie mac

International Coach
I will have a good think later while walking the dog. But Gilbert Jessop the greatest hitter ever, really only played one great innings that won England a Test in 1905

I don't if we can count this but Border the bowler had one great Test against the Windies with the ball that won a match for the Aussies:)

Last edited:

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Wait a minute didn't Laker take 10 for 88 in the first innings of a tour match against Aus on that very same tour?

Plus his record alone of 193 wickets at 21.24 in 48 matches isn't something that can be dismissed as average.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
Wait a minute didn't Laker take 10 for 88 in the first innings of a tour match against Aus on that very same tour?

Plus his record alone of 193 wickets at 21.24 in 48 matches isn't something that can be dismissed as average.
I know he had a very good career. But, more than any man I can think of his career was defined by 1 game.

I was not criticising him, its just that the 1 test was so great that it eclipsed everything else he had done.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Goughy said:
I know he had a very good career. But, more than any man I can think of his career was defined by 1 game.

I was not criticising him, its just that the 1 test was so great that it eclipsed everything else he had done.
Ah i see in that sense, yes he does belong in the one-match XI

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
Ah i see in that sense, yes he does belong in the one-match XI
You were right to call me out on it though. Reading it back it could be understood differently to how I meant it.

archie mac

International Coach
Some Poms

RE Foster scored 285 first innings next best was 51.

JT Brown scored his only century 140 which won England the 5th and deciding Test in 1894/95

NGB Cook claimed 11 wck 6-65, 5-18 Against Pakistan which almost won England a great victory (lost by 3 wcks)

AER Gilligan took 6-7, 5-83 in one Test his only 5 wck hauls in 11 Tests

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vinod Kambli wasnt undone by attitude alone - he was absolutely abysmal at playing the short ball.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Bob Cowper (retired when at the peak of his form and still a young man, for business reasons)
Ah yes, our favourite Old Boy. Too brilliant to be restricted to just playing cricket.

archie mac

International Coach
cricketboy29 said:
Ive never heard of this Bart King, whats his story?
He played for the Gentlemen of Philadelphia, (they toured England a couple of times, playing first class matches) and was considered by most judges to be the best bowler of his generation. He bowled with what they called break-back, but which is most likely what we call swing these days. :)

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, dont think people like Laker should count for the one game defining team. Yeah sure he had a damn good game, but every player has his greatest day, so selecting top class players on the basis of their greatest match, think its gonna give a very strong 'one game defining' team. (infact i think only Lara would be exempt, due to the fact he's had so many defining games!)

A couple of examples that fit this
Atherton for his matchsaving innings v South Africa
Gooch 333 and whatever the other ton was v India
Kumble's 10 for
Warne's debut v England and THAT ball...

All amazing players who went one further than normal in a match..... Think the team should be for players like Malcolm, who didnt have the world class record or career at the top, but for one game was on top of the world.

archie mac

International Coach
cpr said:
Hmm, dont think people like Laker should count for the one game defining team. Yeah sure he had a damn good game, but every player has his greatest day, so selecting top class players on the basis of their greatest match, think its gonna give a very strong 'one game defining' team. (infact i think only Lara would be exempt, due to the fact he's had so many defining games!)

A couple of examples that fit this
Atherton for his matchsaving innings v South Africa
Gooch 333 and whatever the other ton was v India
Kumble's 10 for
Warne's debut v England and THAT ball...

All amazing players who went one further than normal in a match..... Think the team should be for players like Malcolm, who didnt have the world class record or career at the top, but for one game was on top of the world.
Yes I think that fair enough. We have not had many names thrown up!

David Lloyd scored 214* to lead England to victory against India, next best score in 14 inns was 49.

Fred Martin 12 wickets in a Test which England won by 2 wckts only played 2 Tests

Albert Ward 75, 117 in a game England won by just 10 runs his only Test ton

Willie Watson who batted over 4 hours to stop Aust winning a Test. England went on to win the series 1-0 and win the Ashes for the first time in 20 years.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He's 24 years old!

How does he qualify for a could-have-been anything? Unless it's could-have-been 23.
What are you talking about? He is not in the could-have-been -anything XI and nothing to do with the "Could Have Been Great XI"

You misread the categories.

He is in the group of people that have performed average but with 1 great performance that defined his career so far. Completely different subject.

The 222no vs Bang on debut.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Goughy said:
What are you talking about? He is not in the could-have-been -anything XI and nothing to do with the "Could Have Been Great XI"

You misread the categories.

He is in the group of people that have performed average but with 1 great performance that defined his career so far. Completely different subject.

The 222no vs Bang on debut.
I reckon his back to the wall 7 hour 102* against aus would count as a great performance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Might be a bit early for both of them, but there's Brad Hodge (203* v SA, only 206 more runs from his other 8 innings) & Fat Bob Key (221 v the Windies, only century in 26 innings, overall average of 31).

The off-spin option must be Jack Noreiga (9/95 v India in 70/71, only 8 other wickets in his 4 match test career)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Andrew Symonds, the test versus SA this year at the MCG. Wickets, quick runs, its been the only 'defining' moment he's had in test cricket, and honestly it was pretty good.