• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ultimate Commentator Hall of Shame

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Viv commentated for a bit. Really deep voice and pretty easy to listen to but he's pretty much gone senile, talks some absolute bollocks.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Eh, Manjrekar isn't that biased. Nowhere near Shastri or gavaskar.
Yeah. The problem with Manjrekar isn't bias. It's him being a poor commentator. He just doesn't have the nous. For some one with such a beautiful voice and actual points (like his book shows), that is a shame.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Third day of commentary career of Bhajji: been terrible today. Smug and making no points of any sense.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Eh, Manjrekar isn't that biased. Nowhere near Shastri or gavaskar.
Sunil's good to listen to when he talks about technical aspects of batting though. He can often pick up very minute errors on part of the Batsman. Apart from that he is terrible.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Viv commentated for a bit. Really deep voice and pretty easy to listen to but he's pretty much gone senile, talks some absolute bollocks.
I only ever remember him talking about the racism he faced as a young man and the struggle to get respect as a professional cricketer and a human being when he wasn't talking about the cricket during the Big Bash.

I don't understand this post.

Flem274*

123/5
South African commentary crew flying under the radar here as ever. The team has shaken their Australia envy but the commentators still retain the insecure arrogance that make them more of a mean spirited C9 as opposed to the genuine cheerleading of the real thing.

Gnske

South African commentary crew flying under the radar here as ever. The team has shaken their Australia envy but the commentators still retain the insecure arrogance that make them more of a mean spirited C9 as opposed to the genuine cheerleading of the real thing.
I don't really find them that offensive oddly enough, they seem fine. Despite the fact the SA contingent here would throw Haysman into the sea if they could.

Flem274*

123/5
Haysman, Wessels and Symcox (when he's on) are all terrible. Was a bit mean of me to lump in the likes of Shaun Pollock with them.

morgieb

Haysman, Wessels and Symcox (when he's on) are all terrible. Was a bit mean of me to lump in the likes of Shaun Pollock with them.
Don't think Kelper was all that bad against Australia, though maybe his bias would be nullified by playing for both nations. Pollock's more meh rather than anything, Smith is decent but is also kinda biased.

Haysman is pretty **** though.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
david lloyds mad old man at the cricket shtick was tired 10 years ago

i can't hear mark nicholas over all the aussie **** in his mouth

holding is the epitome of 'back in my day'

botham makes shastri look unbiased

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
pretty sure scott styris and simon doull are the reason teams now keep their unsuccessful reviews if umpires call - they ranted about it that often

_Ed_

Smith is decent but is also kinda biased.
I've seen a couple of instances of his "analysis" of a dismissal, where he's gone on to say "this is how I would have played the shot" and played a little highlight reel of himself.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Botham is the worst
Did you ever hear Trueman? Epitome of mean-spirited miserable old git behind the mic.
There is a theory that there's an inverse relationship between individuals' greatness as a player and their listenability as a commentator. It certainly holds true with Trueman and Botham when compared to, say, Hussain and Atherton. See also Boycott vs Agnew and Tufnell.

Last edited:

Gnske

I've seen a couple of instances of his "analysis" of a dismissal, where he's gone on to say "this is how I would have played the shot" and played a little highlight reel of himself.
Good god.

And people gave the Nine team crap for constantly talking about the old days and showing clips from the Triassic era that seemed funny to them.

Bolo

State Captain
RSA commentators seem to have a running bounty going for who can have the most boring voice. Pollock is great commenting on the bowling at least. Uncanny how often he calls the next ball right.

The non-rsa guys are great though.

Does anyone remember Trevor Quirk from the 90s? The guy was basically a breathing meme. Everything that came out of his mouth was wrong, even stuff as simple as reading a scorecard.