• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ultimate Commentator Hall of Shame

a massive zebra

International Captain
Dermot Reeve was horrific. The most shamelessly biased, overenthusiastic and childish commentator I have ever heard.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Aravinda de Silva was very quiet, boring, and didn't seem to have anything interesting, pertinent or astute to say.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Simon Doull when he talks facts and logic - he always gets at least one totally wrong.

And retire Holding already. He's past it, no offence.

Ravi Shastri - the last guy who shouted at me in my living room came to a bad end of his occupancy in my living room.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kevin Pietersen
Yeah he has to be the most annoying commentator I've had the mispleasure of listening to on a regular basis. FMD.

Two more Aussies I'll add:

* James Brayshaw - added nothing of significance, casted a really blokey shadow of the team and was a fairly toxic influence, didn't seem particularly interested in being more than a casual follower of the sport and just came across as not really paying attention to what he was meant to be calling.
* Ian Healy - biased as all buggery, kinda dumb and also had a really obnoxious sense of humour that looked bad on his commentary.

I'm sure I can think of more worldwide, but those stand out (other than those already mentioned) from those I've heard a lot of.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Has there ever been a good Sri Lankan commentator? Feels like everyone from there is pretty ****.
Arnold seems like an absolute **** of a human and his commentary sucked at first, but I kind of don't mind it now.

Sanga's okay when he has a crack too.

morgieb

Arnold seems like an absolute **** of a human and his commentary sucked at first, but I kind of don't mind it now.

Sanga's okay when he has a crack too.
Yeah tbf Sanga's shown a bit of promise, but he hasn't really done it enough to judge. Besides I think it's easy to be a good commentator when you first start, I've seen a ton of 9's guys for example be pretty interesting and informative when they first start before turning into drooling clowns or bitter *****.

Arnold gives me the ****s though.

OverratedSanity

Why do you say this? I've heard quite a bit of his commentary and never got that impression. IMO, Shane Warne is the one who comes across as a total idiot in commentary.
There's been more than one occasion where he's almost gotten into a full blown on-air quarrel with his commentary partner and kept taking snide potshots at them. Once with manjrekar and once with a nz commentator (maybe doull). Not sure if this is what Pews is referring to but it was really really awkward viewing.

OverratedSanity

I'll nominate Athar Ali Khan and Laxman Sivaramakrishnan.

I remember one former Bangladeshi player doing commentary recently who was mindblowingly terrible. Could barely string two words together. IIRC it was Rajin Salen but I'll have to check. Pretty sure that was the only time he's ever been near a mic.