• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ultimate Commentator Hall of Shame

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Indeed - I'm not suggesting he was a poor captain, just an unimaginative one, but I don't blame him for that - young, inexperienced and his team's leading batsman, bowler and slip fielder - it was wholly unfair to give him the job and totally unrealistic to expect him to bring any flair to it

With his commentary on the other hand he's had years, and he still says the same things
...Jury still out there on his chairmanship (he has certainly brought in lots of sponsors and businessy people).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Unfortunate schedule mind for a young captain. 9/12 v West Indies of 1980-1 vintage; 6 draws against that team and one of the WI victories was by 2 wickets (if it had gone the other way, England may have knicked the series) which is about as good as anyone could do against that team.
We beat them in 79/80 and drew with them in 86/87. Pakistan did well too.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was Harbhajan really bad yesterday? Think I tuned out a couple of overs into his first stint and don't recall him being too obscene or even racist.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Was Harbhajan really bad yesterday? Think I tuned out a couple of overs into his first stint and don't recall him being too obscene or even racist.
He was not fluent and paused a fair bit. That's not what you expect in an english commentary stint. When the job is about commentating in english, you should at least be able to speak english fluently without pauses etc. Had he not been a cricketer, he would not get a job in any decent amateur setup even.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was not fluent and paused a fair bit. That's not what you expect in an english commentary stint. When the job is about commentating in english, you should at least be able to speak english fluently without pauses etc. Had he not been a cricketer, he would not get a job in any decent amateur setup even.
He wasn't Jayasuriya bad from what I heard.

Sanga surely made up for it though, really liked his commentary when he first came on. Bloke speaks better English than I do.

smash84

The Tiger King
Ramiz was horrible when he started off, and has had gaffes until recently. has improved signifcantly

Ranjit Fernando is just awful. Mike Haysman just seems like he's faking enthusiasm whenever he tries to sound enthusiastic.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think as a commentary performance, Ramiz Raja in the test after Hughes' death can't be topped.

"I don't know why the bowlers aren't bowling bouncers" and "McCullum is a deadly batsman. He makes the bowlers fear for their lives" just a few of the lowlights but there were several more along these lines.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure there have been many threads on quality of commentators so we need to be specific about criteria

Shane Warne, Mark Taylor, Slater and C9 cheer leaders are biased, poorly informed, don't watch a lot of cricket outside of Australia and get easily distracted/bored by the slow sessions within a Test match

Sanjay Manjrekar, Ravi Shastri, Sunil Gavaskar, Athar Ali Khan fall in the national bias category.

Harbhajan and Ramiz though belong in a different category. Ramiz for one can often make some good observations (when he is engaged, which is rare) but these two have the tendency of saying some of the dumbest things ever. Add to that, Ramiz is also terribly ill informed and often can't be bothered to even get names right like he'll regularly mix up Fakhar and Babar and called them Babar Zaman and Fakhar Azam or refer to Mohd Irfan as Irfan Khan

"It's difficult to play the spinners when it's spinning." - Harbhajan

"At times you get fedup with the form you are in" - Ramiz

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bhogle deserves a mention. Used to be a great. Became a BCCI pawn like Shastri. Was so bad during the Dhoni years.