• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ultimate Commentator Hall of Shame

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's been more than one occasion where he's almost gotten into a full blown on-air quarrel with his commentary partner and kept taking snide potshots at them. Once with manjrekar and once with a nz commentator (maybe doull). Not sure if this is what Pews is referring to but it was really really awkward viewing.
Yeah and even when it hasn't actually blown up in such a way, it often seems like his fellow commentators have to really hold back to avoid it.

"**** of a human" is probably a bit far, but he's always seemed like a bit of a dick to me. He doesn't seem as bad anymore though - maybe he was just trying to emulate the Greigy/Lawry bants, overdid it, and has dialled it back since - and his actual insights and articulation are fine even if not outstanding. He still rubs me the wrong way slightly but he's a C+ commentator now at worst IMO.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Athar Ali Khan is a good shout.

Ranjit Fernando used to be horrible, if some of you guys remember him in the '90s.

SillyCowCorner1

Sometimes I can't stand Jeff Dujon and Daren Ganga...but I always look forward to when each of them pairs up with the GOAT Bishop.The discussion is entertaining.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah he has to be the most annoying commentator I've had the mispleasure of listening to on a regular basis. FMD.

Two more Aussies I'll add:

* James Brayshaw - added nothing of significance, casted a really blokey shadow of the team and was a fairly toxic influence, didn't seem particularly interested in being more than a casual follower of the sport and just came across as not really paying attention to what he was meant to be calling.
* Ian Healy - biased as all buggery, kinda dumb and also had a really obnoxious sense of humour that looked bad on his commentary.

I'm sure I can think of more worldwide, but those stand out (other than those already mentioned) from those I've heard a lot of.
He's the worst I've heard. A little shocked it took 14 posts for him to get a mention, in fact.

Comes off as really snide and niggly, and, worse yet, makes it all sound like such an effort to be there watching cricket and being paid to pass comment on it, which would be most of the forum's dream job. & he manages to make it seem completely joyless.

vcs

Harbhajan talking rot about the pitches in the last series and Nasser thankfully correcting him.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Commentates in the same way he captained England
Unfortunate schedule mind for a young captain. 9/12 v West Indies of 1980-1 vintage; 6 draws against that team and one of the WI victories was by 2 wickets (if it had gone the other way, England may have knicked the series) which is about as good as anyone could do against that team.

Bijed

International Regular
Initially read the thread title as 'Hall of Shane', if that gives you any indication of my thoughts on the matter.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunate schedule mind for a young captain. 9/12 v West Indies of 1980-1 vintage; 6 draws against that team and one of the WI victories was by 2 wickets (if it had gone the other way, England may have knicked the series) which is about as good as anyone could do against that team.
Indeed - I'm not suggesting he was a poor captain, just an unimaginative one, but I don't blame him for that - young, inexperienced and his team's leading batsman, bowler and slip fielder - it was wholly unfair to give him the job and totally unrealistic to expect him to bring any flair to it

With his commentary on the other hand he's had years, and he still says the same things

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't we already **** on our least favourite commentators earlier in the year and during the Ashes in another thread like this.