• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The strongest club side in the world on paper!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Talking about 'club' sides rather than state/province as the title suggests.

The last season I played cricket seriously my team had 7 (that I can recall) FC cricketers in it and 2 (currently) that have played International.

Im not saying it was the best 'club' team in the world but it would certainly have given a bad County team a lot to handle (even with me bowling from one end) :)
Do you mind me asking, in England or in SA?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Do you mind me asking, in England or in SA?
In SA. The make up of the best sides I played for in SA and England were amazingly different.

In SA it was full of young, hungry, ambitious and possibly green FC cricketers whereas in England it was full of grizzled, experienced club semi-pros with one or two young county prospects and maybe a domestic and overseas pro.

Both different and strong in their own ways

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The new look SSC side is like this

NT Paranavithara
FDM Karunarathne
Mahela Jayawardane
Thilan Samaraweera
Thilina Kandamby
Chamara Silva

Kaushal Silva
Nuwan Zoysa
Dhammika Prasad

Sachithra Senanayake
Thilan Thushara

12th man KS Lokuarachchi

This side will be better with bowling

FDM Karunarathne is nothing much. But Kaushal silva is a very good keeper batsman. The only thing keeping him away from test side is that SL side has the world best stumper at the moment. Once P. Jayawardane loses bit of form, Silva will be in it. Sachithra Senanayake averaged 20 in the FCC. He was the one who has been keeping Mendis out of the A tours.

trapol

U19 12th Man
from memory a star studded game in NZ was the One Day final in 1998 (?) Northern knights versus Canterbury. The one where Tait took 4 wickets in an over.

If i had any sort of computer literacy i would be able to pull it up for you all.

trapol

U19 12th Man
20 of the 21 players in the game had played for NZ in International Cricket and the last Michael Parlane had played for NZ A. Some game......

24th January 1998 in Hamilton.

Athlai

Not Terrible
20 of the 21 players in the game had played for NZ in International Cricket and the last Michael Parlane had played for NZ A. Some game......

24th January 1998 in Hamilton.
The aforementioned:
ODI Caps Included
ND

BA Young 74
ME Parlane 0
DL Vettori 241
MD Bailey 1
DJ Nash 81
MN Hart 13
AR Tait 5
SB Styris 157
RG Hart (+) * 2
GE Bradburn 11
SB Doull 42

^ Pretty meh really

Canterbury

LG Howell 12
NJ Astle 223
CD McMillan 197
SP Fleming 279
GR Stead 0 (5 Test Caps)
CL Cairns 214
CZ Harris 250
LK Germon (+)* 37
WA Wisneski 3
MW Priest 18
MB Owens 1

^ Nice top 7

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not for the first time, NSW have a side that would compete strongly in Test and ODI cricket. Remarkably good.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The only English team that I can think of that might be in the same sort of league as NSW would be Surrey from the 50s. Not sure what the strongest team they ever put out would have been - can anyone help?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This side could have played for Yorkshire in 1938 - England caps all of them

Herbert Sutcliffe
Len Hutton
Ticker Mitchell
Wilf Barber
Maurice Leyland
Paul Gibb
Arthur Wood
Paul Gibb
Hedley Verity
George Macauley
Bill Bowes

I know Macaulay was playing in the leagues by then but you have to stretch a point sometimes

.... and again in the 60's

Geoff Boycott
Ken Taylor
Phil Sharpe
Jack Hampshire
Brian Close
Ray Illingworth
Richard Hutton
Jimmy Binks
Fred Trueman
Don Wilson
Chris Old

who I think all overlapped

in fact you could probably do an eleven for Yorkshire who were all capped for most decades up to the 70's

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This side could have played for Yorkshire in 1938 - England caps all of them

Herbert Sutcliffe
Len Hutton
Ticker Mitchell
Wilf Barber
Maurice Leyland
Paul Gibb
Arthur Wood
Paul Gibb
Hedley Verity
George Macauley
Bill Bowes
With, England Internationals, Yardley and Smailes on the bench

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Surrey from 1959:

MJ Stewart
JH Edrich
K Barrington
PBH May *
B Constable
EA Bedser
R Swetman +
GAR Lock
JC Laker
PJ Loader
AV Bedser

A bowling attack that would be world class at Test level. 4 Test batsmen including 2 all-time greats.

Weak links (in the sense that I know zero about either of them) Swetman and Constable. Or were these unsung heroes?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Cue Richard intervening with "That's irrelevant because I would have backed that team to win that competition and the fact that they didn't changes nothing" :ph34r:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cue Richard intervening with "That's irrelevant because I would have backed that team to win that competition and the fact that they didn't changes nothing" :ph34r:
:) No comment

A weak Indian side toured that year so there were some experimental test sides - Surrey players won 11 caps, Yorkshire 10 and Gloucs 4 so they can't even claim they were weakened by test calls as much as they had been during their glory years

Truth is I suppose that the Bedsers, Laker and Constable were some way past their best

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yet they were still third in the Championship behind Gloucestershire and the Yorkies
Well to be fair, they'd won the previous seven...

I'd imagine that Surrey would have put their greatest side out somewhere in the mid-'50s, and I'd also imagine that a lot of the team Mr Z listed there would have been in it.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
They were, Sean. I am guilty of just looking for the team packed with the most star names without regard for where they were in their careers, and the mid-50s team was very similar but lacked Edrich, which is why I went for the slightly later team. There are one or two Surrey folk on CW, perhaps they might suggest the strongest XI from that era.