• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The stats do not do him justice!

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ben, I like your enthusiasm and not to sound patronising but I'd listen to some of the members here. Judging players getting out simply on highlights is trecherous. wpdavid's point rings true; if highlights were all one were to go with, then the Australian team looked clueless at bat in 2005, and hence must always have been.

Briony

International Debutant
Why on Earth would there have been more short bowlers in the 1930s than any other time? :huh:

As for dropped catches, have studied the thing in massive detail and all evidence suggests dropped catches were actually far rarer in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s than they have been in more recent times.

I'm actually going on the heights of the bowlers who presented but is reasonably well documented that people have become progressively taller over the past couple of centuries. Most children are taller than their parents, though this is expected to plateau as better nutrition etc. has levelled things out.

As for more dropped catches now, you might find statistics to bear this out but there is also an argument to be mounted that more catches are gone for. Players today dive full length and being taller on average reach for catches that would have been bypassed in days of yore. The dive for more on the boundary, even in terms of stopping shots. Most commenators who have witnessed or played in earlier eras will habitually point this out.
If you read reports of all Bradman's innings, what sticks out is how often he was dropped. Remember they were at best semi-professionals and there wasn't the emphasis there is today on fielding.

Another point of interest is the LBW rule. Most old-timers are quite bemused at how many are given today and how they actually give LBs when the batsman is on the front-foot which was a non-existent dismissal as recently as the 60s (according to those who played and watched during that era), let alone the 30s. Batsmen could be hit on the pads with impunity, it had to be absolutely plumb before the umpire would consider raising the finger.

I must admit, when I look at the footage from the 30s, a lot of the bowlers look like out and out pie chuckers.

As for those who are dismissive of Garner, most who faced him described him as fearsome, unerring in length and possessive of a yorker which was impossible to pick. And the bigger issue is that he was part of a quartet or quintet of great variety.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Too many people to answer to, but a few points:

* Stats of averages between bowlers and batsmen throughout the years is a great way of judging progression but it, unfortunately, doesn't tell you how good or bad a batsman/bowler was or how bad the poor players were in that era.

I don't disagree with statistics where they judge facts (the fact is Don Bradman is by far and away the most successful batsmen of all time who is not going to be matched in that acheivement by batsmen after 50 tests). I know enough about statics to know that, but they can't be used to judge talent since talent is largely opinion based. You would NEED to see a batsman or bowler to judge how good or bad he was/is.

The reliance on statistics telling it all is pretty naive, you really need to form unbiased judgements of your own from the footage available (NOT from accounts since there's always a buffing up of a player within articles about him).

Judging by stats, George Lohmann is the best ever bowler- he has the lowest strike rate and average of anyone who has 100+ test wickets and he only needed He has 1,841 FC wickets @ 13.73, 38.9 SR in 293 games (6.28 wickets per game, though I don't know how many innings. At the worst it's 3.14wkts/innings). I don't think anyone has seen footage of him but I seriously hope someone doesn't think a bowler who was great in an era where cricket wasn't anywhere near as widely played as it has been after WWII is THE best ever regardless of his success.

* I've seen enough of Hammond to know he isn't comparible to Tendulkar technically (even if his average in a lesser era is comprible). Wally's sound "MCC" technique with even a half-decent shot selection would be enough to ensure he averaged 40 in every era. I think he was/is comparible to batsmen like Michael Vaughan (who on form was an excellent batsmen, and 1 of the most aesthetically pleasing since Gower) but Tendulkar is the rung above both of those and so is Bradman, B.Richards, Viv, G.Pollock, Lara, Sobers, Gavaskar, Miandad etc.

As far as the Don's technique, there wouldn't be 1 batsmen in the 1940's onwards who didn't at least contemplate using his technique- as "flawed" as it was thought to be in it's own time. The fact his footwork was 10 times better than everyone of his era meant he could make shots out of deliveries which the Hammond's weren't able to do.

The fact Bradman could and DID dance down the wicket to a ball pitched on leg and hitting middle-leg and turn it into an off drive with a 7-2 legside field was WAY above batsmen of his era, I don't think he was worth 40 points better but there was a huge gap so I don't really begrudge him that difference in average.

But to assume Tendulkar with his equally insane level of footwork and shot making ability wouldn't do exactly the same is frankly disrespectful and shows a distinct lack of knowledge about batting IMHO. Thank god those tactics haven't been readily seen again but it's unfair to begrudge Sachin when he hasn't even faced those type of tactics.

* I think Ponting, had he played the huge majority of his career in the 90's would've averaged no more than 45 because the bowlers were better (Waqar, Wasim, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald, Pollock, Muralitharan, Vaas, Kumble were all at peak during the 90's) and the wickets were much less batsmen friendly.

Hayden would've just managed 40 if he played at his best simply because good seam has owned him through the years and I think we all agree the names I mentioned previously are pretty decent bowlers. Lol

* The assumption that Bradman would have "no" problem with Warne or Murali because he faced O'Reilly and Grimmett in FC cricket is ridiculous. Much like today, for every test level player there are 20 hacks. That hasn't changed throughout the years and was probably a lot worse in eras before thelate 70's when the overall standard was much better.

He most definitely would not average more than 60 from 1975-1998ish and any batsman of any era would struggle to average even 30-40 against the great bowlers of those eras though I would consider averaging 40 against bowlers of that quality an excellent acheivement.

* Whilst nowadays is in a bit of a lull in terms of progression of cricket as a sport, there's no denying it kept progressing from ca 1955-1995.

Whilst the best may've got no better from era to era (doubtful since people learn from the past) the average player certainly increased with the number of people playing the sport. If people think the average player increased from 1910 to 1930, why is it so hard to believe the progression wouldn't be AT LEAST (for argument sake, though in reality the progression has been much better) be the same between 1930 and 1950; 1950 to 1970 and 1970 to 1990?

With the more financially attractive and "glamourous" sports (Football over here, maybe Aussie Rules and Rugby League in Australia) catching the eye of kids, it makes sense that the sport has less quality at the highest level today in comparison to previous post WWII eras as a result of less people playing it (and especially the kids with the most sporting ability which is key to progression).

* Gretzky is equally dominant in Ice Hockey as Bradman is in cricket. He has 2,857 career points compared to the No. 2 (Mark Messier- the legend!) who has 1,887 career points- almost 1,000 points above the second placed skater having played 25 seasons.

Gretzky's teammate at the great Edmonton team of the mid to late 80's- Paul Coffey- has statistics which in it's way are equally are excellent, but he is still nowhere near Gretzky since a lot of Wayne's points on assists were dependant on the wingers actually scoring. The amount of times he set someone up isn't comparible to anyone else in Ice Hockey history and his career goals/game stat of almost 2 wont be matched by anoyone who has played 20+ seasons INCLUDING playoffs (Gretzky btw has the most points in the playoffs (1.84pts/game- Mario Lemeiux has 1.61pts/game in just over half the games!).

Plus, unlike Bradman, Gretzky played in what the huge majority of people consider the best ever for Ice Hockey. I don't think anyone would say the 30's was the best era for cricket by any stretch of the imagination. It was no better than the 00's imo and I wouldn't rate the 00's up there with the eras of the 70's, 80's or 90's. Even the 50's or 60's based on footage I've seen (which unlike some, isn't only that available on You Tube).

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Plus, unlike Bradman, Gretzky played in what the huge majority of people consider the best ever for Ice Hockey. I don't think anyone would say the 30's was the best era for cricket by any stretch of the imagination. It was no better than the 00's imo and I wouldn't rate the 00's up there with the eras of the 70's, 80's or 90's. Even the 50's or 60's based on footage I've seen (which unlike some, isn't only that available on You Tube).
Bradman's contemporaries were nowhere close and that kind of invalidates the above argument.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen enough of Hammond to know he isn't comparible to Tendulkar technically (even if his average in a lesser era is comprible).
So to answer my question how much of Hammond have you actually seen? Enough, if you're being really honest with yourself, to make an informed judgment on his shot selection?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
If batting is so easy in the modern era then how come Tendulkar has only relied on good scores against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe to average over 50 since 2000? By your illogical comparisons, this just proves Tendulkar would've been nothing more then a footnote if he played in the same era as Bradman.

Don Bradman wouldn't of averaged higher then 60 during 1975-1998? That's laughable. Are you trying to say that the likes of Sunil Gavaskar, Allan Border, Steve Waugh, Javed Miandad, Greg Chappell are all on par and are close to Bradman? Bradman would've murdered any bowler between that period. None of the bowlers between 75-98 come close to Bradman's credibility, hell no bowler in history comes close.

Ponting would've only averaged 45 in the 1990s? Funny that, because in his very early 20's (20-23), Ponting averaged 44 and he wasn't anywhere near the batsman that he has been over the past several years. He would've easily averaged over 50 if the majority of his career had've been played in the 90s.

Hayden would've averaged over 50 in the 90s aswell, had he been given an extended opportunity. It wasn't until Hayden had cemented his spot in 2001 where he began to make runs allover the world against the best bowlers: Pollock, Donald, Bond, Shoaib, Waqar, Muralitharan, etc. The Ashes '05 is a poor example when judging Hayden's ability against pace bowling because he went into the series in horrible form.

Also, I never knew that Muttiah Muralitharan's peak came in the 1990's. Interesting.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Judging by stats, George Lohmann is the best ever bowler- he has the lowest strike rate and average of anyone who has 100+ test wickets and he only needed He has 1,841 FC wickets @ 13.73, 38.9 SR in 293 games (6.28 wickets per game, though I don't know how many innings. At the worst it's 3.14wkts/innings). I don't think anyone has seen footage of him but I seriously hope someone doesn't think a bowler who was great in an era where cricket wasn't anywhere near as widely played as it has been after WWII is THE best ever regardless of his success.
There is a reason Lohmann averages the way he does. Simply put, Cricket was not near the same sport as it is nowadays or when Bradman played. For example, in Lohmann's era, the average bowler averaged about 19. Compared to Bradman's era of 32 or 90s of 31.5.

From Bradman's era till now, there's been little change. That is why they are much more comparable. The fact that you even bring up Lohmann shows you don't know a whole lot about Cricket's history.

Stats are never the only thing. One must look at pitches, rules, players, and many other factors. But for the most part, Bradman's era compares with the eras after it, and so it's simply not even near comparable to bring up Lohmann.

If you are trying to say that Bradman's era was so different, like Lohmann's, you have to prove it. Simply saying it's different doesn't get you nearer to the answer. The question is, how different? Yes, everyone will concede that things have changed and players now probably have a few more aces up their sleeves, but whether that would make Tendulkar Bradman's equal, let alone be superior is laughable.

* I've seen enough of Hammond to know he isn't comparible to Tendulkar technically (even if his average in a lesser era is comprible). Wally's sound "MCC" technique with even a half-decent shot selection would be enough to ensure he averaged 40 in every era. I think he was/is comparible to batsmen like Michael Vaughan (who on form was an excellent batsmen, and 1 of the most aesthetically pleasing since Gower) but Tendulkar is the rung above both of those and so is Bradman, B.Richards, Viv, G.Pollock, Lara, Sobers, Gavaskar, Miandad etc.
If looks were all there was to cricket, then Mark Waugh would be one of the best players ever. But he's not close. Technique is merely a tool. Bradman's batting was not deemed the most technical but 'merely' the most pragmatic.

The fact that you base your entire argument on what you "think" you see and what you "think" you know about technique is not endearing to anyone.

As far as the Don's technique, there wouldn't be 1 batsmen in the 1940's onwards who didn't at least contemplate using his technique- as "flawed" as it was thought to be in it's own time. The fact his footwork was 10 times better than everyone of his era meant he could make shots out of deliveries which the Hammond's weren't able to do.
Bradman's footwork was better because of his accurate anticipation and not that he was especially gifted on the crease.

The fact Bradman could and DID dance down the wicket to a ball pitched on leg and hitting middle-leg and turn it into an off drive with a 7-2 legside field was WAY above batsmen of his era, I don't think he was worth 40 points better but there was a huge gap so I don't really begrudge him that difference in average.

But to assume Tendulkar with his equally insane level of footwork and shot making ability wouldn't do exactly the same is frankly disrespectful and shows a distinct lack of knowledge about batting IMHO. Thank god those tactics haven't been readily seen again but it's unfair to begrudge Sachin when he hasn't even faced those type of tactics
Sorry. Drivel.

* I think Ponting, had he played the huge majority of his career in the 90's would've averaged no more than 45 because the bowlers were better (Waqar, Wasim, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald, Pollock, Muralitharan, Vaas, Kumble were all at peak during the 90's) and the wickets were much less batsmen friendly.
You don't seem to know much about the era and seem to generalise. Ponting's failings in the 90s were ironically against the weaker sides...not the stronger ones. In fact, his record against the best 4 attacks of his time (Pakistan, Australia, S.Africa, W.Indies) in the 90s is better than Tendulkar's.

Ponting averaging 45 in that era was simply because he was green and inconsistent. He was also shuffled throughout the 90s and averaged a solid 50+ at #6 when he did find consistent time.

Hayden would've just managed 40 if he played at his best simply because good seam has owned him through the years and I think we all agree the names I mentioned previously are pretty decent bowlers. Lol
Poor point. Hayden the batsman in the 90s and Hayden the batsman in the 2000s is a completely different beast. The irony that Hayden clobbered the likes of McGrath and Warne in domestic cricket and did well against touring sides in the 90s. His handful of failures in the beginning of his career in the 90s can hardly be used against him.

This is the kind of silly reasoning which makes a certain member say Nasser Hussain > Matthew Hayden.

* The assumption that Bradman would have "no" problem with Warne or Murali because he faced O'Reilly and Grimmett in FC cricket is ridiculous. Much like today, for every test level player there are 20 hacks. That hasn't changed throughout the years and was probably a lot worse in eras before thelate 70's when the overall standard was much better.
There are only two other spinners in the history of cricket to compare to Murali and Warne. Guess who they are? That's right, Tiger and Clairrie. Those two are probably just below - think: a breath - and are easily comparable. They are superior to every other spinner in history. How ironic that these are the only two eras with the strongest spinners.

He most definitely would not average more than 60 from 1975-1998ish and any batsman of any era would struggle to average even 30-40 against the great bowlers of those eras though I would consider averaging 40 against bowlers of that quality an excellent acheivement.
"Those" eras had 1 great bowler surrounded by mediocrity. For most of Imran's career that was the case. For pretty much all of Hadlee's career that was the case. For half of Lillee's career, that was the case. Only until the late 70s/into 80s did the West Indies have a formidable line-up. The best India had was Dev. Sri Lanka had nobody. S.Africa didn't exist. Who was so good for most that period?

You need to do more explaining rather than simply typing puff.

* Whilst nowadays is in a bit of a lull in terms of progression of cricket as a sport, there's no denying it kept progressing from ca 1955-1995.
The point is "how much", not that it progressed. No one in history will come close to Bradman. Tendulkar included.

Whilst the best may've got no better from era to era (doubtful since people learn from the past) the average player certainly increased with the number of people playing the sport. If people think the average player increased from 1910 to 1930, why is it so hard to believe the progression wouldn't be AT LEAST (for argument sake, though in reality the progression has been much better) be the same between 1930 and 1950; 1950 to 1970 and 1970 to 1990?
No, I'd argue that any progression has been much finer than since when the sport first evolved and made big jumps. There's not been anything revolutionary since. Merely evolutionary.

The fact that most batsmen's average stayed the same is a testament to that. Trying to argue that Bradman would drop his average a full 40-50 points is then insulting.

With the more financially attractive and "glamourous" sports (Football over here, maybe Aussie Rules and Rugby League in Australia) catching the eye of kids, it makes sense that the sport has less quality at the highest level today in comparison to previous post WWII eras as a result of less people playing it (and especially the kids with the most sporting ability which is key to progression).
Mostly irrelevant.

* Gretzky is equally dominant in Ice Hockey as Bradman is in cricket. He has 2,857 career points compared to the No. 2 (Mark Messier- the legend!) who has 1,887 career points- almost 1,000 points above the second placed skater having played 25 seasons.

Gretzky's teammate at the great Edmonton team of the mid to late 80's- Paul Coffey- has statistics which in it's way are equally are excellent, but he is still nowhere near Gretzky since a lot of Wayne's points on assists were dependant on the wingers actually scoring. The amount of times he set someone up isn't comparible to anyone else in Ice Hockey history and his career goals/game stat of almost 2 wont be matched by anoyone who has played 20+ seasons INCLUDING playoffs (Gretzky btw has the most points in the playoffs (1.84pts/game- Mario Lemeiux has 1.61pts/game in just over half the games!).

Again, mostly irrelevant. Even if Gretzky were as domineering as Bradman - which I don't except - then what is your point? Bradman's era was one of the best in Cricketing history. If Gretzky had achieved his feats in the 3rd best era, let's say, would it make him any less domineering? No, it wouldn't.

The fact that The Don was so so so ahead of even 2nd best and in one of the toughest eras means regardless of the era (since they are not THAT different) there is no one to even get close. It's acceptable to think that Bradman wouldn't average as high as he did...but so low, to become less than Tendulkar? I think Sachin himself would be embarrassed for your argument.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hammond didn't have anywhere near the shot selection or footwork ability as Tendulkar has from the footage I've seen.
I'd just like to pursue this point a little further.

Hammond was known for his footwork. Wisden said this about him (you can read the full article, an obit I think (fredfertang will be able to confirm or deny), on cricinfo):

"Even in his cricketing middle-age, his footwork flowed like that of a young man. He would be down the pitch - two, three or four yards - with unhurried ease and, as he reached the length he wanted, the bat moved with languid certainty through the ball, which flew, with that savage force which was the measure of his hitting, to the place he wished."

Have you seen footage which either supports or, more pertinently, disproves Wisden's analysis?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sadly there is not a huge amount of decent quality footage of Hammond about so if Rivera can point me in the direction of some I’d be most grateful

What I can do is quote a man who did see a great deal of Hammond from the best possible vantage point

“………………… the most perfect batsman I ever saw”

He saw a fair amount of Bradman too ………………

…….. and no it’s not Neville Cardus or some other such romantic – that quote was from an archetypal Yorkshireman, Sir Leonard Hutton

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The few clips i have seen of Bradman, i've always been of the impression he had one of the best techniques ever.

But otherwise give it to him Ikki, i'm sorry i couldn't get into the debate earlier...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
.......... and before anyone asks the obvious the comment was made by Hutton to Hammond's biographer shortly before he died in 1990 ......... so he made the comment having seen Sobers, Pollock, both Chappells, both Richards' and .... hell he would have even seen Sachin's first Tests in England

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
Thats not the best or correct way to judge whether the Australian batsman of 95-2006/07 - could handle the windies quicks.

All of Australia's best batsem ranging from the in this period at this peak made runs againts quality pace, in tough conditions at some point in their career. Excpept for Gilchrist & Martyn - but that doesn't mean they could play the quicks well either.

Poor example. Ponting & Hayden when they faced Ambrose & Walsh weren't the same players that they were post 2000 clearly.

Yes they were pitches were just flatter and they hardly had ne quality pace bowlers to test them. Ponting I could let slide cause he made a few centuries against Walsh and Ambrose while they were still in their prime (as he also did vs WW ) but Hayden was at sea against quality pace and no performance post 2000 will ever convince me otherwise.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
If batting is so easy in the modern era then how come Tendulkar has only relied on good scores against Bangladesh & Zimbabwe to average over 50 since 2000? By your illogical comparisons, this just proves Tendulkar would've been nothing more then a footnote if he played in the same era as Bradman.
Because Sachin was at his best in the 90's and is 36 now.

Don Bradman wouldn't of averaged higher then 60 during 1975-1998? That's laughable. Are you trying to say that the likes of Sunil Gavaskar, Allan Border, Steve Waugh, Javed Miandad, Greg Chappell are all on par and are close to Bradman? Bradman would've murdered any bowler between that period. None of the bowlers between 75-98 come close to Bradman's credibility, hell no bowler in history comes close.
You simply do not have a clue about anything to do with cricket and are so hugely biased towards Aussies you cannot form an unbiased opinion.

And BTW- The batsmen you mentioned didn't average 40+ AGAINST those bowlers, they took apart the lesser bowlers like all batsmen do.

Ponting would've only averaged 45 in the 1990s? Funny that, because in his very early 20's (20-23), Ponting averaged 44 and he wasn't anywhere near the batsman that he has been over the past several years. He would've easily averaged over 50 if the majority of his career had've been played in the 90s.
He was always somewhat of an uknown quantity and no he wouldn't have easily averaged 50 in ANY era other than the one he's in.

Once you get found out, your weaknesses discovered it becomes a different ballgame.

Hayden would've averaged over 50 in the 90s aswell, had he been given an extended opportunity. It wasn't until Hayden had cemented his spot in 2001 where he began to make runs allover the world against the best bowlers: Pollock, Donald, Bond, Shoaib, Waqar, Muralitharan, etc. The Ashes '05 is a poor example when judging Hayden's ability against pace bowling because he went into the series in horrible form.
Nope, Hayden would've been detsroyed against better quicks.

Waqar and Donald were past their best in the 00's.

Bond's consistency has always been game to game so it depends when exactly he batted against him.

Shoaib isn't in the same league as the bowlers I mentioned.

Also, I never knew that Muttiah Muralitharan's peak came in the 1990's. Interesting.
His peak (on a graph) would represent more of a hill than a mountain but in the mid to late 90's he was unplayable. The fact stats don't agree means nothing to me.

There is a reason Lohmann averages the way he does. Simply put, Cricket was not near the same sport as it is nowadays or when Bradman played. For example, in Lohmann's era, the average bowler averaged about 19. Compared to Bradman's era of 32 or 90s of 31.5.
Cricket isn't the same sport nowadays compared to when Bradman played.

The difference between the early 20th century and the 1930's is similar to the 1930's and nowadays in terms of the sport as a whole.

From Bradman's era till now, there's been little change. That is why they are much more comparable. The fact that you even bring up Lohmann shows you don't know a whole lot about Cricket's history.
There has been little change because the rate of progression has been the same between ball and bat, there hasn't been.

The fact I brought up Lohmann was to prove statistics mean ****, and it worked judging by your pissy remark.

Stats are never the only thing. One must look at pitches, rules, players, and many other factors. But for the most part, Bradman's era compares with the eras after it, and so it's simply not even near comparable to bring up Lohmann.

If you are trying to say that Bradman's era was so different, like Lohmann's, you have to prove it. Simply saying it's different doesn't get you nearer to the answer. The question is, how different? Yes, everyone will concede that things have changed and players now probably have a few more aces up their sleeves, but whether that would make Tendulkar Bradman's equal, let alone be superior is laughable.
No, you have to prove to me that the bowlers of the 30's were in any way comparible to t hose of eras from the 50's onwards.

You seem to be so in awe of the romance of that era that you aren't able to actually form an opinion.

I don't know whether it's the fact that you weren't around then so you assume it must be better, or whether you really don't have a clue.

If looks were all there was to cricket, then Mark Waugh would be one of the best players ever. But he's not close. Technique is merely a tool. Bradman's batting was not deemed the most technical but 'merely' the most pragmatic.

The fact that you base your entire argument on what you "think" you see and what you "think" you know about technique is not endearing to anyone.
Waugh in terms of TALENT actually is 1 of the best of his era. Statistically it doesn't say so but those who saw him wouldn't disagree he was a man who's talent far outweighed his success.

Bradman's footwork was better because of his accurate anticipation and not that he was especially gifted on the crease.
I've seen Tendulkar do exactly the same thing and you have too unless you closed your eyes during the 90's.

Sorry. Drivel.
Drivel in what sense?

That Bradman didn't actually do what I said or that your assumption that Tendulkar couldn't/wouldn't at peak do exactly the same thing is complete bull****?

You don't seem to know much about the era and seem to generalise. Ponting's failings in the 90s were ironically against the weaker sides...not the stronger ones. In fact, his record against the best 4 attacks of his time (Pakistan, Australia, S.Africa, W.Indies) in the 90s is better than Tendulkar's.

Ponting averaging 45 in that era was simply because he was green and inconsistent. He was also shuffled throughout the 90s and averaged a solid 50+ at #6 when he did find consistent time.
I grew up watching the era actually.

And batting @ 6 isn't comparible to top order.

Poor point. Hayden the batsman in the 90s and Hayden the batsman in the 2000s is a completely different beast. The irony that Hayden clobbered the likes of McGrath and Warne in domestic cricket and did well against touring sides in the 90s. His handful of failures in the beginning of his career in the 90s can hardly be used against him.

This is the kind of silly reasoning which makes a certain member say Nasser Hussain > Matthew Hayden.
On his own wickets.

It is absolutely no coincedence he filled his boots on flat tracks.

Do you think his tag of flat-track bully isn't justified, because I think it pretty much sums him up.

There are only two other spinners in the history of cricket to compare to Murali and Warne. Guess who they are? That's right, Tiger and Clairrie. Those two are probably just below - think: a breath - and are easily comparable. They are superior to every other spinner in history. How ironic that these are the only two eras with the strongest spinners.
Actually neither of those really compare to Warne or Murali in terms of longevity (which is key to success) and continued wicket taking ability.

I would also say both Qadir and Chandrasekhar are ocmparible to the likes of O'Reilly and Grimmett. Sure they aren't Australian so you may not agree, but Chandrasekhar especially got out great players of spin.

You're reliance on articles, hear'say and statistics is laughable and sad. You are literally incapible of forming your own unbiased opinion. It's pretty pathetic.

"Those" eras had 1 great bowler surrounded by mediocrity. For most of Imran's career that was the case. For pretty much all of Hadlee's career that was the case. For half of Lillee's career, that was the case. Only until the late 70s/into 80s did the West Indies have a formidable line-up. The best India had was Dev. Sri Lanka had nobody. S.Africa didn't exist. Who was so good for most that period?

You need to do more explaining rather than simply typing puff.
1 great bowler surrounded by mediocrity? Lol

You happen to mention 3 bowlers I actually didn't.

I would find it hard to believe anyone would call Bedi, Chandrasekhar, Prasanna, Venkataraghavan mediocre or Holding and co.

The point is "how much", not that it progressed. No one in history will come close to Bradman. Tendulkar included.
That is further proof that you are so dictated to by stats it's not even worth giving your opinion credibility.

You've already closed the door on the next, say, 100 years of cricket.

How close minded.

No, I'd argue that any progression has been much finer than since when the sport first evolved and made big jumps. There's not been anything revolutionary since. Merely evolutionary.

The fact that most batsmen's average stayed the same is a testament to that. Trying to argue that Bradman would drop his average a full 40-50 points is then insulting.
But a 50 in the late 70's/early 80's is better than a 50 nowadays for example so there are differences. In 50 years there could be enough to drop Bradman down to 50.

Mostly irrelevant.
Then you don't know much about sport.

Again, mostly irrelevant. Even if Gretzky were as domineering as Bradman - which I don't except - then what is your point? Bradman's era was one of the best in Cricketing history. If Gretzky had achieved his feats in the 3rd best era, let's say, would it make him any less domineering? No, it wouldn't.
Actually, yes it would,

It's easier to be the big fish in a small pond than be a big fish in a big pond.

You have no clue about Ice Hockey, that's evident and in fairness you don't claim to do so but Gretzky's acheivement in the best era for the sport means a hell of alot more when the defensemen he faced were equally good for their position compared to Bradman's against a bowling attack who contain 1 good bowler (by general standards), 1 or 2 average bowler s and a couple of hacks.

I would be shocked if anyone put Larwood in the top 25 bowlers of all time and he was by far our best and it's far easier to (for example) average 100 at club level than at test level.

Why is that?

Because of the quality of opposition.

The fact that The Don was so so so ahead of even 2nd best and in one of the toughest eras means regardless of the era (since they are not THAT different) there is no one to even get close. It's acceptable to think that Bradman wouldn't average as high as he did...but so low, to become less than Tendulkar? I think Sachin himself would be embarrassed for your argument.
Toughest?

In whose opinion? Lol

I think it is 1 of the worst eras for the sport. You really need to get over your love affair with the 30's. It'sclouding your judgement.

I'd just like to pursue this point a little further.

Hammond was known for his footwork. Wisden said this about him (you can read the full article, an obit I think (fredfertang will be able to confirm or deny), on cricinfo):

"Even in his cricketing middle-age, his footwork flowed like that of a young man. He would be down the pitch - two, three or four yards - with unhurried ease and, as he reached the length he wanted, the bat moved with languid certainty through the ball, which flew, with that savage force which was the measure of his hitting, to the place he wished."

Have you seen footage which either supports or, more pertinently, disproves Wisden's analysis?
Actually yes.

My grandad worked at the BBC for a couple of decades (it's the reason I know they used to have a big cricket archive which they currently do not make available to the public).

He had a number of (VHS) tapes of footage- not sure how he had it converted from film including Hammond (though miniscule compared to Bradman) but moreso of the eras he watched.

You've probably though it strange there is a decent ammount of footage of Bradman but almost nothing of his contemporaries.

Accounts can't be given creedance IMO. The naivity of relying on other people's opinions to in turn form your own is laughable (not that YOU do this but others in this thread have and probably do).

Sadly there is not a huge amount of decent quality footage of Hammond about so if Rivera can point me in the direction of some I’d be most grateful
Can't, but I know there used ot be footage. Pester the BBC.

What I can do is quote a man who did see a great deal of Hammond from the best possible vantage point

“………………… the most perfect batsman I ever saw”

He saw a fair amount of Bradman too ………………

…….. and no it’s not Neville Cardus or some other such romantic – that quote was from an archetypal Yorkshireman, Sir Leonard Hutton[/QUOTE]

Means nothing except Hutton really liked Hammond.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Because Sachin was at his best in the 90's and is 36 now.
But if Sachin was anywhere near as good as what Bradman is/was (which is what you've been saying) then by your logic Sachin would've averaged over 100 in Test Cricket over the past 10 years because you've been saying that the 30s and the 2000's have been easily the easiest eras for batting. However, Sachin has been incapable of showing any immortality like what the Don did. Don't bring age into it, either... Bradman was 40 years old and was averaging 106 in Test Cricket and that just furthermore illustrates that Tendulkar isn't anywhere near Bradman.

See, you're flawed arguements are being found out right now, just like a batsman on a dodgy wicket with a poor technique and you are being found out to be a flat-track bully who's average has gone from over 50 to the low 30's.

You simply do not have a clue about anything to do with cricket and are so hugely biased towards Aussies you cannot form an unbiased opinion.

And BTW- The batsmen you mentioned didn't average 40+ AGAINST those bowlers, they took apart the lesser bowlers like all batsmen do.
I cannot form an unbiased opinion yet I've said countless amounts of time that Sachin (who is Indian) is better then Ponting and Hayden (who are Australian). How many times do I have to comprehensively outargue you until it finally sticks in your head?

He was always somewhat of an uknown quantity and no he wouldn't have easily averaged 50 in ANY era other than the one he's in.

Once you get found out, your weaknesses discovered it becomes a different ballgame.
Unknown quantity? So averaging mid 40's in an era which you claim is bowler-friendly is unknown quantity? Ponting was taunted as the next great Australian batsman when he was 14 years old. He was hardly an 'unknown quantity'.

Nope, Hayden would've been detsroyed against better quicks.

Waqar and Donald were past their best in the 00's.

Bond's consistency has always been game to game so it depends when exactly he batted against him.

Shoaib isn't in the same league as the bowlers I mentioned.
You have no earthly idea what you are talking. Bond was always at his best against Australia... why do you think they highlight it so much when talking about Bond? Shoaib was at his peak during 2002 when Pakistan played Australia and Hayden averaged over 60 in that series and slaughtered Shoaib, Wasim and Waqar. Hayden played several Tests against Donald (most in the 90s) and Donald only got Hayden out once. All of those bowlers that I mentioned were as good as Donald, Waqar, etc at there peak... the difference was that Donald, Waqar, etc had a peak over a long period of time. Bond could've easily been up there or even of been better then any of those bowlers had he played more cricket.

His peak (on a graph) would represent more of a hill than a mountain but in the mid to late 90's he was unplayable. The fact stats don't agree means nothing to me.
That's why all of his success came against better batsman in the mid 2000's... anyone who knows anything about cricket would concur. The same being with how Sachin is only half as good the Don, but then again you don't really know what you are talking about when it's cricket related. :laugh:

subshakerz

International Coach
You have no earthly idea what you are talking. Bond was always at his best against Australia... why do you think they highlight it so much when talking about Bond? Shoaib was at his peak during 2002 when Pakistan played Australia and Hayden averaged over 60 in that series and slaughtered Shoaib, Wasim and Waqar. Hayden played several Tests against Donald (most in the 90s) and Donald only got Hayden out once. All of those bowlers that I mentioned were as good as Donald, Waqar, etc at there peak... the difference was that Donald, Waqar, etc had a peak over a long period of time. Bond could've easily been up there or even of been better then any of those bowlers had he played more cricket.
Bond only played against Hayden in tests in his debut series. Hayden also never played against Wasim in tests.

You don't seem to get the essence of the criticism against Hayden. It's not that he is weak against spin, or against medium pace. It's that against high pace bowlers, he tends to struggle.

The best way to prove this is looking at the periods when he was at out form, and its no coincidence that they coincide with him facing pacers of high pace. In the 90s, he faced Ambrose and Donald, and was out of form. In 2004-2005, he faced Shoaib in Australia and the Ashes quartet, and was out of form. And finally, he was out of form towards the end of his career when he faced Steyn and co.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

Actually yes.
So you're saying you saw enough clips to support or disprove Wisden's account. Which was it, and why?

My grandad worked at the BBC for a couple of decades (it's the reason I know they used to have a big cricket archive which they currently do not make available to the public).

He had a number of (VHS) tapes of footage- not sure how he had it converted from film including Hammond (though miniscule compared to Bradman) but moreso of the eras he watched.
Sorry to press this, but I will if I may return to my original question to ask once again (a) how many clips of Hammond you actually saw, and (b) whether they in truth enabled you to make an informed judgment on his shot selection?

If (as I suspect) you may have seen half a dozen, or maybe even a dozen, strokes, that frankly is not a reliable foundation for an informed opinion on a player. You may as well go down the wfdu_ben91 line of trying to judge players from isolated YouTube clips.

Finally, can I ask when it was that you last watched these clips? From your description of them it seems that neither you nor your grandad still has them. And I doubt that you would have allowed them to be lost or destroyed in the last few years now that you have a keen awareness of their value. Which makes me think you may have seen them many years ago. I may be completely wrong, but that's my guess.

Accounts can't be given creedance IMO. The naivity of relying on other people's opinions to in turn form your own is laughable.
Well that rather begs the question of why you spend so much time on a cricket chat forum, where a large part of the whole point is to exchange opinions. There's not a lot of point in exchanging opinions unless you're prepared to allow them to influence your own.

For instance, why bother offering us the opinion that, based on your viewings of your grandad's old clips, you thought such-and-such about Hammond or Bradman? Are we to give your account "credence"? Are you the only one whose accounts and opinions are worth listening to?

Some might take things a few stages further and say that when faced with (1) your account of Hammond's ability based on watching a few archive clips, and (2) Len Hutton's and (3) Wisden's analysis of him, they would only feel comfortable dismissing as unreliable one of those three opinions.

The final point I want to make is linked to what I've just said. Having created this thread (which is a classic example of an opinion-exchange thread), you've then gone on to attempt to ridicule or dismiss the opinions held by others. You might want to be a little less dismissive because it gives a strong impression of misplaced arrogance.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Bond only played against Hayden in tests in his debut series. Hayden also never played against Wasim in tests.

You don't seem to get the essence of the criticism against Hayden. It's not that he is weak against spin, or against medium pace. It's that against high pace bowlers, he tends to struggle.

The best way to prove this is looking at the periods when he was at out form, and its no coincidence that they coincide with him facing pacers of high pace. In the 90s, he faced Ambrose and Donald, and was out of form. In 2004-2005, he faced Shoaib in Australia and the Ashes quartet, and was out of form. And finally, he was out of form towards the end of his career when he faced Steyn and co.
I meant Hayden slaughtered Wasim Akram in the ODI's, which was probably Akram's stronger form of the game.

Hayden has made plenty of runs against quality pace. His certainly had more success against quality of pace then lack of it. He averages well against Waqar, Shoaib, Bond, Pollock, Donald, Ishant, Vaas, Flintoff and Ntini. It doesn't matter if they weren't at their absolute when Hayden faced them because it hardly makes a difference. Even if they weren't at their absolute best, they still maintain class that would make them very difficult to face.

South Africa had a pretty good pace attack in 2001/02 (Donald, Pollock, Ntini, Haywood, Kallis and Nel) and Hayden averaged 107 & 61 in 2 seperate series, New Zealand's 2001 (Cairns, Nash & Bond) was pretty good and Hayden averaged all but 60, Pakistan had a quality pace attack in 2002 and Hayden averaged 61 in that series in trying conditions, England had a good pace attack in 2002 that was made look poor and Hayden averaged 62 in that series, South Africa 2005/06 was good aswell, Hayden averaged 52, England had almost as good a bowling attack in 2006/07 and Hayden averaged over 50 and India's bowling attack in 2007 was very underrated and Hayden averaged 82.

He also had a fair amount of success against Glenn McGrath in domestic cricket and given that his a good player of spin and Australia doesn't exactly provide spin-friendly conditions, Hayden probably would've had allot of success had he been an opposition country touring Australia.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
This thread seems like a celebration of underachievement to me.

Nonetheless, I will list the batsmen and bowlers who maybe should've gone on to greater things, given their obvious talents (and technique):

- Andrew Caddick: Steve Waugh himself once said that he had the ammunition to be as good as McGrath, but not the temperament. He was also let down by the vagaries of English cricket.
- Brett Lee: A classic action, the ability to get enough swing and reverse to trouble batsmen, a deadly bouncer, getting to bowl amongst champions - yet his oft-moronic tactics have led him to average above 30.
- Mark Waugh, Carl Hooper, Mark Ramprakash, Graeme Hick: Were technically adept enough to do far better than they eventually did, mostly due to temperament, but also due to wastefulness when referring to the first two
- Vinod Kambli: Was Tendulkar's equal in their respective youths, but was ultimately stymied by a shocking temperament and some glaring technical flaws (especially the short stuff)
- Ian Salisbury: Probably not a test-class leg-spinner (having a defensive line and inadequate variation), but should've averaged more than 76.
- Nantie Hayward: Fast, fiery and furious - but unpredictable and one-dimensional - South Africa's equivalent to Devon Malcolm. Speaking of which...
- Devon Malcolm: How can somebody who has a BB of 9/57 (and that was an incredible spell) average 37? Through devout underachievement.