• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, we're in disagreement on that point. I was suggesting that as hard as some 5-fers can be to come by, that there's still more ***-ass 5-fers than ***-ass hundreds.
Oh then I misunderstood your point and JedBrah was correct to point that out to me.

You are in the wrong Zinzan. Last time we had this debate we counted the number of 5fers and 100s since the dawn of test cricket and there have been 3 times as a many 100s.

Take the last Australian tour how many 100s were there and how may 5 wicket bags were there for either team.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Holy ***. If KW seriously averaged 54 with bat and got 180 wickets @ 35 then he'd be up with Hadlee, even if he was an average fielder. He'd need to take those extra 140 wickets at about 32 to achieve that. I almost forgot about his bowling tbh, but I suppose it's not crazy to think he could get 100 test wickets by the end.
The thing about Hadlee is that he averaged 27 in test cricket with the bat but he had a knack of getting handy scores at the right times and with impetus. He didn't hang around, he'd move the game forward and he'd get a good 35 or something that would really add a bit of confidence to the team innings at the right time.
Kane has done the same thing to a lesser degree at various times with the ball, been a bit of a golden arm and made handy contributions. I'm not sure about his action but it seems a lot of spinners are getting called out these days.
Both Hadlee and Kane are natural cricketers. Also both great fielders. Total professionals constantly honing and refining their games and thinking about their games and how to get better and succeed.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Hadlee did that, he exceeded the feats of other NZ bowlers by a breath-taking margin.
That's the core of it for me. Essentially to be compared to Hadlee, KW has to surpass Crowe by a similar margin. KW already has a higher average and 13 tons to Crowe's 17, so it seems inevitable that he will. The question is where he does so by enough.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The thing about Hadlee is that he averaged 27 in test cricket with the bat but he had a knack of getting handy scores at the right times and with impetus. He didn't hang around, he'd move the game forward and he'd get a good 35 or something that would really add a bit of confidence to the team innings at the right time.
Kane has done the same thing to a lesser degree at various times with the ball, been a bit of a golden arm and made handy contributions. I'm not sure about his action but it seems a lot of spinners are getting called out these days.
Both Hadlee and Kane are natural cricketers. Also both great fielders. Total professionals constantly honing and refining their games and thinking about their games and how to get better and succeed.
Nah gold doesn't bend

Zinzan

Oh then I misunderstood your point and JedBrah was correct to point that out to me.

You are in the wrong Zinzan. Last time we had this debate we counted the number of 5fers and 100s since the dawn of test cricket and there have been 3 times as a many 100s.

Quantity and quality are quite different in this context. There can be magnificent 3-fers and 4-fers, every bit as worthy as test hundreds, and some relatively atrocious 5-fers, in which the opposition either scored a mental amount of runs or slogged irresponsibly to set up a declaration 7-8 down handing someone a 5-fer. Overall & generally speaking I do agree 5-fers are harder to come by, but bad 5-fers are generally worse than bad 100s.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Quantity and quality are quite different in this context. There can be magnificent 3-fers and 4-fers, every bit as worthy as test hundreds, and some relatively atrocious 5-fers, in which the opposition either scored a mental amount of runs or slogged irresponsibly to set up a declaration 7-8 down handing someone a 5-fer. Overall & generally speaking I do agree 5-fers are harder to come by, but bad 5-fers are generally worse than bad 100s.
Harbhajan's twin centuries aside.

But yes agree with you.

Flem274*

123/5
Don't get Flem started about Kane's bowling, I think it is a red herring, How many wickets did Kane take in Aussie? I alsp think he still chucks and will get called again if he starts bowling more.
that only happened because you couldn't differentiate "needs to" from "will do" and when you decide something is impossible you go off your nut, even if it's a chat about hypotheticals.
Take the last Australian tour how many 100s were there and how may 5 wicket bags were there for either team.
what a rigged example

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
that only happened because you couldn't differentiate "needs to" from "will do" and when you decide something is impossible you go off your nut, even if it's a chat about hypotheticals.

what a rigged example
There is no point discussing impossible hypotheticals. It is like saying how many centuries does Tim Southee need to score to come into the mix with some of our better all rounders such as Vettori or Cairns.

Obvioulsy the memory of it is still a sore point for you however and I apologise if I overstepped the mark that day. All good?

Zinzan

There is no point discussing impossible hypotheticals. It is like saying how many centuries does Tim Southee need to score to come into the mix with some of our better all rounders such as Vettori or Cairns.
Only if one finds the exercise disconcerting. I personally love hypothetical batsman/bowler comparisons. e.g. Tendulkar the batsman vs. Hadlee the bowler.

_Ed_

Just for what it's worth, Mike Hesson confirmed this morning he "caught up for a chat and a coffee" with Jesse Ryder.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Just for what it's worth, Mike Hesson confirmed this morning he "caught up for a chat and a coffee" with Jesse Ryder.
How much better would the Black Caps had been in the last eight to ten years had Jesse managed himself better.