• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Points Table/Standings

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
All signs point to further NZ heartbreak.

Finals - tied at 50th over
go into 3rd tied super over
4th super over
we score 36 runs off 6 balls
opponent is 0 off first ball, rain falls

Match rained off

NZ lose due to some irritating rule for this unlikely scenario
Be realistic next time

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All signs point to further NZ heartbreak.

Finals - tied at 50th over
go into 3rd tied super over
4th super over
we score 36 runs off 6 balls
opponent is 0 off first ball, rain falls

Match rained off

NZ lose due to some irritating rule for this unlikely scenario
Honestly hope it happens

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Had Afghanistan beaten Australia by 150 runs (which looked likely when 7th wicket fell), Afghanistan probably would have closed the gap between their NRR and Pakistan's. Oh well Maxwell.

Shri

Mr. Glass
if india-pak SF happens in kolkata, pak has little chance

i'd give them a bigger chance if playing in a road like mumbai. they could easily post 250+ and have us be 5 down for 30ish under lights

Molehill

International Captain
Just looked back through this thread, it was Oct 21st when it basically became obvious when we knew who the semi finalists were going to be (@centurymaker calling it). There's been a few shenanigans since then, but looks like we're going to end up with what was predicted.

Also worth noting that the bottom two look increasingly likely to be the 2 qualifiers.

Owzat

U19 Captain
England have risen to 7th.
thus offering the chance to bury heads in sand and stick with same old same old

$500k for reaching Champions Trophy, England most likely have done worst according to potential they have and little done with it, but Holland, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh simply look too weak overall, lacking the strength/depth of resources

England might have qualified if they hadn't blown it bigtime vs Afghans and Sri Lanka, the latter shouldn't have happened, Afghans I think maybe England thought they only had to turn up - which they didn't, over 100 for first wicket and another couple of late partnerships left them too much to do with the bat

Owzat

U19 Captain
Just looked back through this thread, it was Oct 21st when it basically became obvious when we knew who the semi finalists were going to be (@centurymaker calling it). There's been a few shenanigans since then, but looks like we're going to end up with what was predicted.

Also worth noting that the bottom two look increasingly likely to be the 2 qualifiers.
sad that it wasn't a bit more competitive, not sure the format was conducive to that. people talk up the value of play-offs in say EFL Championship but it's much the same, fairly evident runaway 1-3 sides and then a varying size group chasing of whom some establish their play-off place quite early

truth is it isn't a good format for a knockout/tournament, two groups would have been better even of 5 or 6. I think the 4x4 format shot itself in the foot by having two strong sides of which one will lose in ODI format and only takes a bad day against one of the others and India or Pakistan - or both - are out. Easily bypassed by making the group games of 2 games vs each opponent as happened earlier World Cups

Spark

Global Moderator
So as best as I can tell Pakistan need to put together 400+ batting first and then bowl England out for about 120. It's not impossible I guess.

Molehill

International Captain
So as best as I can tell Pakistan need to put together 400+ batting first and then bowl England out for about 120. It's not impossible I guess.
And at the other end, Bangladesh need to lose by over 175 runs to not make it to the Champions Trophy (assuming India beat Netherlands).

The Mathews time out is actually looking quite important now on that front.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ideas for how it will go from here?

Best Team Wins - India win
Match-up/Memery - India auto-lose knockout to NZ, South Africa auto-lose full stop, NZ auto-lose final to Australia. Everybody groans.
Maximum @thierry henry existential angst - ???

Unsure what other scenarios there are.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best result for world cricket would be a NZ-Aus final with an NZ win. I just want to see a flood of Indian tears. Be glorious.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best result for world cricket would be a NZ-Aus final with an NZ win. I just want to see a flood of Indian tears. Be glorious.
Already prepared for India losing to NZ in the semis. They were the only team that put up a fight.

Them beating Australia in the finals would be a great result though, not sure why it would result in tears. I do agree it is the world cricket’s interest that Australia lose though.