• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Please fire Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen" thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
selecting a bowler who has had a very limited run since the wc to debut in 40 degree heat was always far more likely to cause an injury than a debut in hamilton.
I doubt it. I think it's drawing a very long bow to say whether he played in Hamilton or not determined whether he got injured in Perth. He could just as easily have played in Hamilton and then got injured in Perth anyway.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Instant dismissal for falling for the Sydney spin meme.

Langer and the Australian selectors on the other hand did a great job trolling them into it by adding Swespon to the squad with no intention of selecting him.

Mike5181

International Captain

Langer and the Australian selectors on the other hand did a great job trolling them into it by adding Swespon to the squad with no intention of selecting him.
Eh, I think the workload of Wagner/CdG was in mind when they made that decision as well.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant

It looks like a pitch where two spinners would be handy in the second innings, not that the two spinners are likely to get a meaningful second innings to exploit.

Swepson was never going to play no matter the pitch, the Australian pace trio are bowling too well to change the team and Labuschagne is a second spin option. New Zealand have Grandhomme to bowl which makes a massive difference to the balance of the two teams and allows NZ to pick two spinners.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I thought Larsen was doing a good job over the last year or so given the overall results but selection in this series vs the Aussie has been unbelievably stupid. In the very first place selecting a single team for two series' played on absolutely different decks is plain stupid. I can't recall similar call for two series selection in one go ever. Were they planning to go for an early holiday? The team for both series put together was announced in Nov from memory. Players at the end of the day are to be held responsible for their performances but having a proper team is of utmost importance and this time around Gavin/Stead failed to give that. The selections have been quite strange to say the least. If we have a similar series vs India at home (hopefully not) that'll leave lots of gaps in the team. Black caps looked a very well oiled machine not too long ago and now we are at a state where we aren't sure of anyone in the team barring maybe 3 or 4 players.

Meridio

International Regular
Another thing that has at least something to do with the coaching staff - we've been very one dimensional in the way we've played recently. It's just been attritional cricket - which tbf has worked against England - where we just rely on the opposition running out of patience and doing something stupid. When conditions have been in our favour, like they were first session in Melbourne, we haven't adapted, we've just run in and bowled wide of off stump hoping they'll chase one.

Blain

U19 Captain
Never really been a fan of Larsen's selections TBH, how Henry makes every test squad is beyond me. Even playing in front of Ferguson in Hamilton. His numbers aren't good enough, and wasn't showing much form in domestic either. Blundell has also been stuck in the "squad vacuum" for the last couple years, barely getting any cricket. Our bowling attack at full strength is very one paced, and is aging. At least Jamieson and Ferguson are getting a sniff now, but on our biggest tour for a couple of years? Bad planning. Also Munro opening in ODI's for so long, then dumped in the World Cup is bad selection policy.

I'm also starting to think LAtham as a ODI keeper is short of what we need, and hope Seifert/Phillips can step it up. Or Conway.

Flem274*

123/5
henry averages 15 for kent which looks great but the issue is county cricket is worthless for developing bowlers now. we noted jimmy franklin and jesse ryder showing up with a new ball and taking stacks before returning to nz and being fodder as usual. internationally england are struggling to find bowlers who can take wickets outside of england.

the plunket shield is a much more reliable barometer for bowlers now because the decks are more varied and better on average. henry has a very good record for canterbury but it's telling he slips back to the pack with jamieson, mcewan etc and he definitely doesn't stand out ahead of the likes of lockie ferguson.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
henry averages 15 for kent which looks great but the issue is county cricket is worthless for developing bowlers now. we noted jimmy franklin and jesse ryder showing up with a new ball and taking stacks before returning to nz and being fodder as usual. internationally england are struggling to find bowlers who can take wickets outside of england.

the plunket shield is a much more reliable barometer for bowlers now because the decks are more varied and better on average. henry has a very good record for canterbury but it's telling he slips back to the pack with jamieson, mcewan etc and he definitely doesn't stand out ahead of the likes of lockie ferguson.
Broadly I agree, but McEwan really doesn't help your argument at all here

nzfan

Never really been a fan of Larsen's selections TBH, how Henry makes every test squad is beyond me. Even playing in front of Ferguson in Hamilton. His numbers aren't good enough, and wasn't showing much form in domestic either. Blundell has also been stuck in the "squad vacuum" for the last couple years, barely getting any cricket. Our bowling attack at full strength is very one paced, and is aging. At least Jamieson and Ferguson are getting a sniff now, but on our biggest tour for a couple of years? Bad planning. Also Munro opening in ODI's for so long, then dumped in the World Cup is bad selection policy.

I'm also starting to think LAtham as a ODI keeper is short of what we need, and hope Seifert/Phillips can step it up. Or Conway.
The playing XI is entirely up to the team management i.e the captain and the coach. Larsen selects the team in consultation with the captain and coach but has no saying on the playing XI. Do you reckon Kane has much to answer for in that case? There's a saying around the circut if you are from ND or Canterbury you get a quicker look in. Check the playing XI out in the last 2-3 years and you'll see what I mean.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There are lot more McEwans in county cricket than the Plunket Shield these days.
Yeah well that's completely true. The average Plunket Shield attack seems to be on average not too for off most Sheffield Shield attacks for pace, where as that is certainly not the case in county cricket. Although granted I am going mainly off highlights in a lot of cases so probably not the most thorough assessment

The Hutt Rec

Can anyone tell me what Peter Fulton's qualifications are to be NZ batting coach?

For his first overseas tour, he had them about as far away from firing on all cylinders as is humanly possible. Preparation and gameplan in the batting group seemed completely non-existent.

Last edited: