• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Please fire Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen" thread

Howsie

International Captain
And whilst I didn't watch our bowling innings, I was bemused to say the least when I saw Sodhi played. I love Ish, but just because he should've played v Pakistan we pick him now? Was he ever suited to Lord's? Not based on the Aus v Eng game. And Henry might've been dynamite bowling from the Pavilion End.

Further still, this game wouldn't have been the one I dropped Munro for. Someone at least needed to try and hit the most in-form bowling line-up off its lengths, even if we all agree he probably wouldn't have been up to it. Instead a scratchy Nicholls, who should've played earlier, comes in and tries to find form on a tough pitch, and a hard ground to get used to, against that attack.

I really have no faith in Gary Stead. And I don't feel good for saying it.
Belongs here

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Am I right? Because I didn't watch our bowling innings. I almost fell off my couch when I saw the highlights when I woke up, and Ish was in them.
Yeah it made no sense.

We really missed that extra attacking weapon when we had Australia on the ropes at 90/5, as well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it made no sense.

We really missed that extra attacking weapon when we had Australia on the ropes at 90/5, as well.
It really blows my mind that anyone appointed to be an international coach can be that reactionary and thoughtless.

I imagine Matt Henry would have been absolutely filthy he missed out on bowling at Lord's after watching Australia hoop it around, and having made his Test debut there and done pretty well. I think I said in a previous post he would've enjoyed the Pav end, I meant Nursery End - swinging it down the slope. Plenty of left handers he could have troubled either swinging it back in or going across. It just never had any advantages for Ish. Dumb selection move, two games in a row.

Jezroy

State Captain
Thoughts now? We’ve made the final. Kane is captain Stead-y The Ship. Seems to be some sort of synergy. Interesting to read today that initially when he started with Canterbury, Stead was a bit a of a hard arse. But he’s mellowed since then.

I get the impression that he’s super mellow.

He was also great on Sim 1 with a late 30’s Test average

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
His achievements with the team thus far are pretty impressive tbf. It's the sound bites from the last few weeks that make you shake your head at times though.

I think Hesson and Larsen have for more to answer for than Stead re the team selection. Why were Munro and Southee in the team for so long & why could NZC not secure any international matches between
the England and Pakistan series last year?

Howsie

International Captain
Bump!

New Zealand are playing in there biggest test series in decades, biggest test match in like forever and we are going into it with a wicket keeper who usually bats 6-7 as our test match opener.

This because they decided to name a squad for two test series over a month ago. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that happen before. We have a couple of spoons running this team.

ataraxia

International Coach
Calling on all New Zealand fans, we need to band together and push for these two incompetent morons to be fired. Plenty of journalists from around New Zealand read this forum (dead serious I know of two who use CW) so lets get this ball rolling. Yes this World Cup isn't going badly but us true New Zealand fans know we don't have a ****show in hell of winning this thing. Stead is a yes man, nothing more nothing less. He'll never make a big call he's a complete cat. We have literally got to a World Cup missing one opening batsman and a keeper. Yes he hasn't been here for that whole four year cycle but he had more then enough time to sort something else out.

I've made my thoughts on Gavin Larsen pretty obvious the last 18 months but he really should go back to making pizza (and I say making pizza because running an actual pizza business where he failed just isn't an option).

Watch as we continue to have more Luke Ronchi's, Colin Munro's, Tim Southee's and now Tom Latham's stink up the joint for years but continue to make New Zealand squads (ODI's in this case for those players) without actually having to perform because these two sacks have no balls and are happy to ride on the coattails of some of our ATG crickters.

Thank you for your time, lets get these guys out the door.

Howsie

Howsie

International Captain
As bad as this tour has been it might be our way of getting rid of these two bafoons

Flem274*

123/5
im in. i was wrong earlier in the thread. a captain needs a strong coach to lean on when times are tough and who can challenge him when he's wrong, and everything we hear points to steads role being more of an assistant to kane.

Last edited:

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, I'm over them as well. Especially p***ed off with their mishandling of Ferguson leading to his injury - everyone knew he should've been selected for the 2nd England test...everyone apart from the selectors. Sick of all their incompetence. There has to be a hanging.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm over them as well. Especially p***ed off with their mishandling of Ferguson leading to his injury - everyone knew he should've been selected for the 2nd England test...everyone apart from the selectors. Sick of all their incompetence. There has to be a hanging.
He should've played the second England test, but could just have easily injured himself then and then the selectors would've been criticised for risking him on a road. It's just plan bad luck he got injured in Perth imo.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
After reaching the WC final I thought it was a good reflection of Stead but not I figure that was more down to what Hesson has put in place and we got there in spite of Stead (like, we almost didn't make it). Sounds like Kane wasn't happy with the whole 2 series squad thing, and he hasn't looked too happy since that WC, which you would easily put down to the heart breaking 'loss' but there might be more to it than that.

Flem274*

123/5
selecting a bowler who has had a very limited run since the wc to debut in 40 degree heat was always far more likely to cause an injury than a debut in hamilton.

i don't see why we can't cram the super smash and ford trophy into 4-6 weeks and have more fc during the home summer tbh. super smash with 6 teams should have 2 games for each team per week over in 3 weeks done repeat for white ball cricket.