• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Please fire Gary Stead and Gavin Larsen" thread

Flem274*

123/5
'mike hesson' and 'tours of australia' don't go together well either. his two opening bowlers being rushed back from injury/getting injured on tour pretty much ruined everything but he also failed to select wagner and rein in mccullum from going full meme as skipper. mccullum didn't contain at all and when you have half fit boult, half fit southee, dougeh, henry and craig in your team you need to know when it's time to throttle the opposition. australia absolutely raced away with the bat.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pantsed is an overstatement but they were indeed a better team. I didn't feel as though pointing out the obvious was particularly necessary. However if it makes you feel good to hear me say it there you go. NZ were better

Flem274*

123/5
iirc the first test india initially got decked, fought back hard in the run chase before baby wagner baited kohli and dhoni into wagnerball and little did they know what a fun game that is.

in the second test india decked nz on a first morning greenie, did the business when it roaded out and were set to crush nz with some excellent new ball bowling on a motorway before mccullum and watling pulled the h4x card nz has in their deck against everyone except australia.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Interesting article - https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...kcaps-test-side-should-like-in-12-months.html

Says in the next few months we should bid farewell to CDG, BJ, and Southee from the tests side, and that it should look like this...

Latham
Phillips
KW
Taylor
Nicholls
Young
Blundell
Wagner
Ferguson
Boult
Patel

Like the thought of Patel getting a proper go. CDG has been pretty good for a while (apart from brain farts in Australia, but not the Lone Ranger there), Southee has great numbers, and BJ has been a champion for us for some time.

But I at least like the fresh thinking. Quite like Phillips opening. Still not a fan of Blundell opening, but then where do you put him?

I’m just so confused with the team TBH. I know that the team that played in Melbourne could come home to NZ and actually be good against most teams on home soil.

But is that good enough? Or do they really try and set themselves up to compete against Australia, India, and South Africa overseas when we rarely get these tours?

I just hope that we’ve seen the last of Henry, Santner, and Raval in whites to start with.
Very mixed bag that article. I agree the idea of Henry and Santner as test options should be well and truly parked for some time at least, plus perhaps Raval if they do have an opening option in mind. But saying that CdG, Watling and even Southee are dispensable at this stage is pretty naive.Lot to like about Phillips but optimistic to imagine him as test opener at least for now. Anyway, we all know Blundell will get the gig for some time on the back of that hundred (much more suited to the middle order, but still a better option than Phllips IMO).

Said this before but not been happy with Taylor's output during overseas tours (there haven't been a great deal of them admittedly). Genuine NZ ATG but that Perth innings aside, his hit-out-first- then play-yourself-in approach just isn't coming off enough. Enough options for his spot in the pipeline I suppose though.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
'mike hesson' and 'tours of australia' don't go together well either. his two opening bowlers being rushed back from injury/getting injured on tour pretty much ruined everything but he also failed to select wagner and rein in mccullum from going full meme as skipper. mccullum didn't contain at all and when you have half fit boult, half fit southee, dougeh, henry and craig in your team you need to know when it's time to throttle the opposition. australia absolutely raced away with the bat.
Pretty sure that was one of Larsen’s first efforts as selector, getting rid of Wagner. I found the Hesson/Edgar selection combo pretty much faultless, but when Larsen came into the mix, things did start to go a little weird.

Jezroy

State Captain
Pretty sure that was one of Larsen’s first efforts as selector, getting rid of Wagner. I found the Hesson/Edgar selection combo pretty much faultless, but when Larsen came into the mix, things did start to go a little weird.
Love the theory in hindsight to get rid of Wagner because he was “wrecking” the ball for Soult so they couldn’t swing it. Funny.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the theory in hindsight to get rid of Wagner because he was “wrecking” the ball for Soult so they couldn’t swing it. Funny.
To be fair, this was a commonly held belief by the players on the domestic scene earlier in his career in NZ

Jezroy

State Captain
To be fair, this was a commonly held belief by the players on the domestic scene earlier in his career in NZ
Yeah I know. That’s what makes it even stranger. Don’t give the ball to the guy that gets wickets, because he might wreck it for the guys that don’t get as many wickets.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're utterly meaningless T20s, guys. Stop getting so grumpy.

thundaboult

International Debutant
anybody who wants to bring up getting to the wc final because of stead...lets be real. We got there in spite of the c***. Kane's batting, our bowling, and a miraculous piece of fielding from gup got us there. We could have had a bowling machine as our head coach it would have been the same as stead. A bowling machine might have actually been better. At least the likes of munro could middle something for once

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
"I suppose I should apologise to Gary Stead. Look, you're in the good place mate, you just stay away, you stay away because this is a winning side." - Jeremy Coney.

Harsh, but fair.

Flem274*

123/5

Yeah nah, when you're world #1 you don't get to say 'bUt wE aRe s0 sMoL'. When you're world #1 you are expected to beat world #8 at home. When your B side trounces England in England your A side is expected to be an even better side.

All the past 7-8 years have proven is the opposite - the factors holding NZ back were always within NZ's control. NZC improved the pitches young players develop on, expanded the A programme and under 19 programme, and Bruce Edgar especially provided more diplomacy and consistency to team selection. The results since 2013 when compared to 90% of our history show that NZ had it within their ability to have been at least good during that entire time.

If Gary can't deal with criticism when his team is winning finals and sitting in the top 3 then he should quit. He's got plenty of great results to be proud of. He's fortunate radiosport died of covid. Criticism outside...well here, has been remarkably muted. Fans being disappointed at an unexpected loss is part and parcel with being a top side. The Crusaders are evil but compare this guy to Scott Robertson sheesh.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basically sounds like he's just going to rest on his laurels because we won the WTC, which means we're on for a **** couple of years at least.