• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Gareth Hopkins isn't terrible thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, love him. Mainly because everyone hates him. Was never much of a List A player and really, I know Auckland is a road but since he moved there he's averaged 59 from 20 games there. If he can't hold a bat in tests we need to go grow some ****ing grass on Colin Maiden Park.
I like to defend the unloved too (like Tim McIntosh)... just not Hopkins.

I could almost reconcile with myself the fact that he's in the team despite his expected long term batting average of fifteen IF he was a really good keeper. But he's not. Is he even the best pure wicketkeeper in NZ besides McCullum?

Woodster

International Captain
Watched him pretty closely today, and as we know it is difficult keeping in these conditions, there a few balls that carry to the keeper stood back due to a complete lack of pace and bounce. Thought he did ok on the whole, but will be disappointed that neither of the two chances he had stuck.

The one off Jesse Ryder was a tough one, he was standing up but the ball was on its way down, it kept very low and he probably did well to get a glove on it. The other chance I'm sure he'll be more disappointed with.

It's difficult to look good as a keeper on pitches like this, but I don't think he looked especially bad either.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopkins rocking the floppy hat. Underrated as part of a wicketkeeper's repertoire, for mine.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just noticed Hopkins has a better first class batting average than McCullum.Now i know that doesn't mean much but given all the problems that NZ have had with their batting for many years is it not a bit of a surprise that they hadn't played both before now?

I mean when you look at some of the jokers who have been tried and failed they couldn't have done much worse.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just noticed Hopkins has a better first class batting average than McCullum.Now i know that doesn't mean much but given all the problems that NZ have had with their batting for many years is it not a bit of a surprise that they hadn't played both before now?

I mean when you look at some of the jokers who have been tried and failed they couldn't have done much worse.
Hopkins's First Class batting has improved out of sight in the last couple of seasons to be fair. It didn't use to be very impressive.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain

They have played both before:

3rd Test: England v New Zealand at Nottingham, Jun 5-8, 2008 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

But that was when McCullum had something wrong iirc