• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Gareth Hopkins isn't terrible thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Athlai now needs Plopkins to score 86 runs in the remainder of the series. Presumably four innings so average of 21.5.

Impossible!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
He might not win Strawmans bet - but I was thinking it over - Hopguns is a fair chance to score a couple of not outs and boost up his average above 20. So it is possible that Athlai could win one and lose one.

Time will tell however. Looking forward to his next inning.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wicketkeeper-batsmen who are better than Gareth Hopkins:

Derek de Boorder
Kruger Van Wyk
Peter McGlashan
Bevan Griggs
Reece Young
Joe Austin-Smellie
Brendon Diamanti
a napkin

:ph34r:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So, halfway through the series and Deadweightkins has 18 runs with three innings to play. Maybe we should just make it 50 runs for the series to give poor Athlai a chance :happy:

I suppose we should look on the bright side... he hasn't fluffed any chances yet.

James

Cricket Web Owner
To be fair, how Gareth Hopkins has had this many ODI, Twenty20 and Test chances for NZ is beyond me when someone like McGlashan plays 4 ODIs averaging over 60 and doesn't get a look in now.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
McGlashan is injured at the moment I think tbh. But I'd say he'd be better behind the stumps.

James

Cricket Web Owner
McGlashan is injured at the moment I think tbh. But I'd say he'd be better behind the stumps.
Yeah that's right.

At first class cricket? You gotta be kidding.
Hopkins has had 25 innings for NZ now across the three formats and hasn't made a 50 in any of them and averages less than 15 in each one.

It comes back to keeping McCullum behind the stumps or giving someone else a go IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
McGlashan isn't much of a first class batsman may not even make the Central Districts team with the gloves anymore.

As a limited overs keeper I think he should have been given more of a go at international levels though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hopkins has had 25 innings for NZ now across the three formats and hasn't made a 50 in any of them and averages less than 15 in each one.

It comes back to keeping McCullum behind the stumps or giving someone else a go IMO.
Give Hopkins the series I say - he may get his fifty next innings. I have predicted that he won't but who knows. Van Wyk is next cab off the rank for me.

James you are late into this debate - you have used the same logic as Strawman and myself that you can judge Hopkins effectiveness based in part on his limited overs performances. The argument against this was Hopkins has excellent FC numbers in the longer form of the game and should do well in tests.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah that's right.

I think you're mixing up the forms a little bit and making sweeping claims based on that. Hopkins has been crap in limited overs cricket and it's very frustrating to not see McGlashan given a go there, but he's barely played any Tests and his batting record in domestic cricket more than warrants an opportunity there as long as his keeping isn't terrible. Should he fail it should be Young who plays instead in Tests, not McGlashan who is pretty average in First Class cricket at the moment (even if he does have a blog here :p).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The annoying thing is that there are plenty of wicketkeepers in domestic cricket scoring a lot of runs. I cbf trying to look up the runs put up by these guys in the last year or two but I remember they are impressive. Wicketkeeping ability is paramount of course, but presumably one or two of these would be at least as competent glovemen as Hopkins, perhaps less error-prone.

It's easy NZ selectors.... just choose the best gloveman from the top 3 or 4 batting averages of these wicketkeepers and give that man a chance.

Perennial question on this site but I always forget the answer... when does Van Wyk qualify for NZ? Perhaps it's later this year and NZ selectors are just using Hopkins as a stop-gap. He is almost 34 after all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's easy NZ selectors.... just choose the best gloveman from the top 3 or 4 batting averages of these wicketkeepers and give that man a chance.
Well... maybe they did that? I don't know a lot about the wicket keeping standard of Young, but Hopkins has definitely been head and shoulders above the rest of the keepers in terms of batting in the last three or four seasons.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well... maybe they did that? I don't know a lot about the wicket keeping standard of Young, but Hopkins has definitely been head and shoulders above the rest of the keepers in terms of batting in the last three or four seasons.
Yes, they gave that man Hopkins a chance based on a decent domestic record - fair enough. But from the information we have to date, I would conclude that Hopkins is not capable of the step up to international level. Some players are just not, as we have found out with many domestic batsmen over the last few years.

He's made quite a few clangers as wicketkeeper and as an international batsman averages about a third (one-dayer and test) of what he does domestically. He quite possibly keeps a lot better when under less pressure in domestic matches, against bowlers he's very familiar with.

So it's time to try another good domestic performer. Perhaps they will be able to keep for NZ as well as they do domestically, and if they average 45 in domestic cricket, might be able to translate that to 25 in Internationals.