• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Jacknife

International Captain
Well that was one of the craziest events i've ever seen xD holy ****. quick thoughts:

part of me wants to enjoy the Barboza KO of Etim because it was ****ing awesome, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I could because I legit thought Etim was dead. I felt a little sick watching some of the replays, it was a horrible way to fall. Amazing KO though. I hope Etim is okay.

Erick Silva got screwed, and I like what i've seen of him. hope to see him again soon.

I love Paul Harris, he is amazing random Incredible Hulk brazilian, is an utter psycho as well haha.

God damn I was so pumped when Vitor sunk that choke in on that fat **** johnson. I hope the UFC cut him and don't let him back unless he's willing to sign a contract to only fight in the HW division. He is literally the worst person ever. Lot of controversy i've seen so far about the quick standups but honestly, I don't give a ****.

Jose Aldo, what a monster. That KO shocked me more than the Barboza one, just because of how close to the end of the round it was. Beautiful knee and the followup punch aboslutely crushed Mendes, was amazing. His insane crowd storming antics were hilarious as well. Love the Brazilian crowd as well, they're the best.

Yeah that whole event was nuts, I really enjoyed it.
Yes agree with most of that, felt gutted for Terry he's a proper good guy but he'll come back from this, needs to work on his wrestling, when he got him down I think it was 3 times, Barboza got back up far to easy, imo he left too much distance between himself & Barboza when he got the takedown and not enough control that enabled him to use butterfly guard to jump back up.

Loved Joe Rogan stitching the ref up in the Silva fight, proper calling him out on it, he knew he'd screwed up when he watched the replays and was doing some serious sweating in the background during the interviews.

****ing Johnson bum-rushed Viitor like a amateur or something, Johnson knew though that the only way he was going to win was by catching him the first but **** it was a real surprise how big he looked he dwarfed Vitor, who's fought at HW himself before.

Paul Harris is the limb collector but a straight up douche, always has to get dragged off by the ref to release the lock, the **** purposefully goes out to injure guys, not down for that ****.

Aldo yes he's a gun, not too thrilled with his constant fence grabbing which tbh probably won't have changed the victory but it would have been in the 2nd or 3rd round, he was hanging onto that fence for dear life and once against the ref was slow realizing it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably the most powerful type of kick going. Usually very hard to land though, because you can see them coming.

Or maybe not...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Spinning back kicks if done correctly can be devastating, just check out Cung Le jacking Scott Smith, Denis Siver brutilising the bodys of Paul Kelly and Nate Mohr. Barboza's kick was obviously seriously powerful, but the reason it knocked out Etim was more due to the speed, timing and the heel connecting with the jaw, not necessarily the power, as the fact he switched it after beginning to throw it took away some of the power generated from the hip (unlike for example, Badr Hari's spinning heel kick ko of Stephan Leko). Take nothing away from the execution though, the way he did it was beautiful and it's still a sweet, sweet, highlight reel KO from one the most exciting prospects in MMA.

Edson Barboza could well be the future of the Lightweight division. The dude has scary stand-up and slick Jiu Jitsu. Brazil is producing heaps of these super talented guys at the minute, with awesome, exciting stand-up and aggressive jiu jitsu. Hopefully it'll be the style to counter the Wrestling dominance in MMA. Could the 155lb division actually get any more stacked? You've got Frankie Edgar, Benson Henderson, Gray Maynard, Jim Miller, Nate Diaz, Edson Barboza, Melvin Guillard, Donald Cerrone, Joe Lauzon, Anthony Pettis, Evan Dunham, Clay Guida, Sean Sherk, Denis Siver, and that's only in the UFC. Outside the UFC Gilbert Melendez, Shinya Aoki, Michael Chandler and Eddie Alvarez are tearing up. There is no better division in MMA than Lightweight. Easily the most exciting division for me atm!

How good was UFC 142 too! The Barboza KO, Aldo's performance and celebration, the performance (if marred) of Erick Silva but 1 thing that stood out to me was that ****ing dude Rousimar Palhares. Brock Lesnar, Alistair Overeem, Junior Dos Santos, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva move aside, this dude is the scariest guy in MMA. Those guys could knock you the **** out, but once you're out that's it, pain over. If Rousimar Palhares gets hold of a heel hook, you are done. That caveman does not know when to tap, and if he's not let go before you start to feel pain your knee is jacked. I could not think of anything worse than having to fight that guy!

King Pietersen

International Captain
Haha, excellent point. Who in their right mind would want to roll with Palhares? Seen a pretty cool video of him man-handling Mayhem too. Mayhem's ****ing hard to submit, but Paul Harris made it look super easy. Rag dolled him then caught him in a rear naked. The man is a beast. Never going to be a champion, but he's a scary dude.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Chael Sonnen is amazing. He is the funniest man in MMA, and the fact he took the fake belt to the press conference makes it even better. I just wish Sonnen and Bisping had more time to get some trash talking done, could have made for some hilarious stuff!

Also, watch the latest Diaz vs Condit Primetime video. Best Primetime series since GSP-BJ. My opinion on the Diaz brothers has changed immensely in the last year; Nick's now one of my favourite fighters. He might be a dick, but he is one hell of a fighter, and he always puts on a good fight. Really hope he smashes Condit, as GSP-Diaz is one of the fights I really want to see!

Video: UFC 143 Diaz vs Condit ? PRIMETIME Episode 2 Headline Iron Forges Iron?

Majin

International Debutant
hell yeah this primetime series has been amazing so far. I'm also a converted Diaz fan, think they're both hilarious and awesome. I don't know who I am going to pull for in that fight though. Much as I like Diaz and would love to see him and GSP go at it, I like Condit as well and he's had a bunch of bull**** with this whole deal. Kind of a situation where I'd be happy for the winner whoever it was, and full on depressed for whoever loses.

Jacknife

International Captain
Thought Bisping won that fight against Sonnen, I thought it was pretty clear Sonnen didn't do enough in the first two rounds tbh but again takedowns get far too much credit especially when you don't back it up with anything. The first 2 rounds were practically the same, Bisping out worked Sonnen on the feet, landing more punches and kicks and I was also really impressed with his dirty boxing against the cage he kept turning Sonnen to the cage and working from there. Sonnen got a couple of takedowns in each but Bisping practically jumped straight back up, top defensive wrestling from his as usual. Sonnen won the third clearly but I had it 29-28 Bisping. Decent enough fight but I think both fighters suffered from the change of opponent. I also think Sonnen was surprised by Bisping, especially with how hard he is to keep on the floor and how physically strong he was, Sonnen usually rag dolls his opponents and he couldn't this time. Dana White agrees that Bisping won so it must be right:).

Watching the Maia fight, Bisping would have schooled him if they had thought, he showed nothing, he's got one punch the straight left and his takedowns are appalling, really appalling and it was a horrible fight to watch.

The Rashad v Davies fight was a decent fight, I liked how Rashad in the first round just countered Davies, who he knew would come out and try to show off his improving kickboxing skills and the fact it was his first big fight. He just waited till he tired out a little, the adrenaline dumped then went to work, then from then on it was all Rashad and by the 3rd Davies was gassed and sloppy. Not often you get to see two crucifix's in a fight and to get a wrestler of Davies' standard into one is no joke. Davies has much to work on but he's obviously athletic with a very good base.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Speaking of Paul Harris, after watching this last Sonnen fight, he would be a nightmare fight for Sonnen. Sonnen's game is all based around endurance, freestyle wrestling and forward momentum, Paul Harris would eat that up that all day long, Sonnen wants to get it to floor and so does Paul Harris and as we know Sonnen's BJJ defense is gash and Paul Harris is one BJJ guy who can fight off his back.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thought Bisping won that fight against Sonnen, I thought it was pretty clear Sonnen didn't do enough in the first two rounds tbh but again takedowns get far too much credit especially when you don't back it up with anything. The first 2 rounds were practically the same, Bisping out worked Sonnen on the feet, landing more punches and kicks and I was also really impressed with his dirty boxing against the cage he kept turning Sonnen to the cage and working from there. Sonnen got a couple of takedowns in each but Bisping practically jumped straight back up, top defensive wrestling from his as usual. Sonnen won the third clearly but I had it 29-28 Bisping. Decent enough fight but I think both fighters suffered from the change of opponent. I also think Sonnen was surprised by Bisping, especially with how hard he is to keep on the floor and how physically strong he was, Sonnen usually rag dolls his opponents and he couldn't this time. Dana White agrees that Bisping won so it must be right:).

Watching the Maia fight, Bisping would have schooled him if they had thought, he showed nothing, he's got one punch the straight left and his takedowns are appalling, really appalling and it was a horrible fight to watch.

The Rashad v Davies fight was a decent fight, I liked how Rashad in the first round just countered Davies, who he knew would come out and try to show off his improving kickboxing skills and the fact it was his first big fight. He just waited till he tired out a little, the adrenaline dumped then went to work, then from then on it was all Rashad and by the 3rd Davies was gassed and sloppy. Not often you get to see two crucifix's in a fight and to get a wrestler of Davies' standard into one is no joke. Davies has much to work on but he's obviously athletic with a very good base.
I had Bisping winning the fight also but given the scoring system it is hard to argue with Sonnen winning. The issue is how takedowns are scored rather than the actual result. I do think it is a cultural issue. Americans view a takedown as imposing your will on an opponent and I think a lot of Brits and Euros see them as an opportunity to do damage rather than having value on their own.

Uppercut

Got a 4-timer up on Condit, Werdum, Koscheck and Barao last night, don't know if it was my natural pessimism but I was scoring the last fight for Diaz before I fell asleep. Nelson is MMA's Homer Simpson, I don't know why they keep giving him such good fighters.

Jacknife

International Captain
I thought Diaz was shown up to be pretty one dimensional by Condit in the end, once Condit stuck to his game plan of stick and move, chop Diaz's legs to slow him down and don't get caught on the fence, all Diaz could then do is smack talk him to death, perfect game plan by Condit and Diaz' couldn't change how he fights.
Diaz always relies on his opponent getting caught on the fence, with him walking them down and landed better strikes till his opponent gasses or takes too many punches, once he could see Condit wasn't going to play that game, he wasn't good enough to change the game plan.
I personally had Diaz winning just the second and the maybe the last could have gone either way, he just got out struck in every round nearly, total strikes was 159 Condit to 117 to Diaz and Significant strikes landed 151-105 Condit., which is amazing.
Diaz has always been known for his cardio but Condiits was off the chart, matched him and bettered him imo and was the key to the fight, without it Diaz would have eventually got him pinned and owned him. Condit made Nick fight his fight end of.

Diaz is obviously deluded fool and threw his toys out of the pram at the end because he didn't win, prick to the end. Just because you walk forward doesn't mean you win you dickhead, you have to land punches and kicks to do that, you got beat fair and square, man that was embarrassing to say the least for Diaz, man the **** up and take the loss, story of his career when he losses this.
He wants to go and have a look at fightmetric web site who score the matches and count the hits etc, they have Condit winning as well.

Still think GSP will take either of these two down and beat on them, his wrestling and TD's are unreal, I can't see any other winner.
I really wanted the GSP v Diaz showdown but good on Condit for the win.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I wish they held these at a more convenient time. This one might actually be worth staying up for.

Jacknife

International Captain
The UFC on fox was a top event, not a boring fight on it for a change, Shogun was in a battle as usual ending in him KO'ing Vera and Machida had a awesome KO of Bader who basically ran into his right hand.

Machida gets the shot of out of the winner between Hendo v Jones, personally thought Shogun was the more impressive, battled it with Vera who laid it all on the line but Shogun ended up finishing him off in Rd 4, great great fight. Machida did relatively little till Bader made a huge mistake and literally ran at him and left his chin out there to be clocked.

Last edited: