• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
right, for four years I've been hearing about Kasprowicz's dismissal at Egdbaston being an umpiring error, even though realistically the umpire had to give it out. Well Sky are now providing evidence that Strauss shouldn't have been out, I'm gonna bang that drum till the cows come home

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
right, for four years I've been hearing about Kasprowicz's dismissal at Egdbaston being an umpiring error, even though realistically the umpire had to give it out. Well Sky are now providing evidence that Strauss shouldn't have been out, I'm gonna bang that drum till the cows come home
Both completely wrong as well, obviously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Broad quite clearly out there for mine. That's 3-2 to England on the n\os and 1-0 to Australia on the "out"s.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Billy Doctrove obviously read in the Times this morning about Broad having Michael Jackson tickets and felt sorry for him.

Broad looks a bit young for Jacko's tastes in any case.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This should be the end of Billy Doctrove's career I'm afraid. Nowhere near the required standard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, I've seen Umpires have worse. I think pretty much all of the 6 errors this game have come from him, but at least only a couple have been blatant no-excuse-for ones.

Doctrove was fortunate, too, that Aleem Dar had one of his better games. One Umpire's mistakes are inevitably magnified if the other makes a few as well. Look at Steve Bucknor with Mark Benson also messing-up - probably more in fact - in SCGgate 2007/08. But Bucknor got almost all the flak.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aleem Dar's a pretty good umpire though IMO. Doctrove and Rudi are the prank-umpires in the current bunch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's been more than one occasion - and I'm not just talking about 1 or 2 games - when Rudi has been the best of the bunch in recent years.

There is virtually no Umpire on the elite panel, except Simon Taufel and Daryl Harper, who opinion is constant on. Pretty much all the others, some think they're crap and some think they're good. It just depends on what you've happened to encounter.

Fusion

Global Moderator
There is virtually no Umpire on the elite panel, except Simon Taufel and Daryl Harper, who opinion is constant on. Pretty much all the others, some think they're crap and some think they're good. It just depends on what you've happened to encounter.
You may want to rethink the Daryl Harper analysis. He's had a very ordinary series so far in Sri Lanka, to say the least. I don’t think we will ever have an umpire that’s constantly correct (except for Taufel, but he’s a robot). That’s just life and part of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You may want to rethink the Daryl Harper analysis. He's had a very ordinary series so far in Sri Lanka, to say the least.
I'd have had to rethink it if he'd had a good series. I've never seen him look particularly impressive - not once, and I must've seen him stand in 30 Tests or so by now.

Fortunately, everyone realises he's hopeless, same way everyone realises Taufel is excellent.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'd have had to rethink it if he'd had a good series. I've never seen him look particularly impressive - not once, and I must've seen him stand in 30 Tests or so by now.

Fortunately, everyone realises he's hopeless, same way everyone realises Taufel is excellent.
Ah, misunderstood you. Thought you were saying that his reputation is great.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be quite interested to see the reaction if anyone actually did make such a suggestion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, Rudi did indeed make a mistake there by giving Ponting caught, but the only relevant mistake would have been to give him n\o. He was out if he hit it, out if he didn't hit it. No alteration to the tally here.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Has no-one else considered that maybe he was checking if he caught it to be absolutely sure it was out?

i.e, he was convinced it was LBW, but the only doubt he had was whether he hit it or not. So in his mind, if it carried to slip then it was 100% out and should be given.