• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Jimmy Anderson Appreciation Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For about five years we've been hearing of his decline. Yet really the only thing declining has been his average

I statsgurud his average since that NZ tour in 08 when he got his place as a first choice player pretty much for good the other week. Can't remember what it was but boy it was low.

What a player. Only Steyn stands with him since McGrath. Over the years we've heard how Johnson, Zaheer were better. Hell even I made a thread suggesting Broad had surpassed him.

Nah ****s. Jimmy ****ing Anderson yo

Howe_zat

Audio File
I statsgurud his average since that NZ tour in 08 when he got his place as a first choice player pretty much for good the other week. Can't remember what it was but boy it was low.
If his career had started then - and in a sense I suppose it did - he'd have 426 wickets at 25.53.

Another one is that looking at the 2010s alone, he has ~350 wickets at 24, which is the kind of record that goes on names like Waqar and Lillee.

It's not fair to compare a selected average to a career one, but it's still pretty great to have numbers like that on your side. Growing up I got used to the idea England players didn't have records.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm lazy - riddle me this - is most wickets for a seamer ever in his sights?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope he's got his eyes set on at least the 2019 Ashes in England, if he makes that he should nail 600.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Only Steyn is better than him in this modern era IMHO. Jimmy is a boss. There is literally no one you'd like to face less if there's any swing on offer at all. His longevity puts him above Philander, Johnson and co in my book.

91Jmay

International Coach
Sounds extremely odd but his over to Bishoo in this Test might be my favourite moment of his. It was pure skill, he literally put the ball where he wanted and a lot of top order bats would have nicked off. Bishoo had that tailender thing where they play such a bad line they don't nick it. Was as good an over as I've seen, even the donut Warne noted that it was Freddie 05 level. Granted Langer/Ponting vs Bishoo is not the same level but the level of skill was just outrageous. Anyone who didn't watch will probably think this is ridiculous but I doubt anyone who watched did.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds extremely odd but his over to Bishoo in this Test might be my favourite moment of his. It was pure skill, he literally put the ball where he wanted and a lot of top order bats would have nicked off. Bishoo had that tailender thing where they play such a bad line they don't nick it. Was as good an over as I've seen, even the donut Warne noted that it was Freddie 05 level. Granted Langer/Ponting vs Bishoo is not the same level but the level of skill was just outrageous. Anyone who didn't watch will probably think this is ridiculous but I doubt anyone who watched did.
100%, greatest wicketless over I think I've ever seen.........

https://www.ecb.co.uk/tv/466964

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a player. Only Steyn stands with him since McGrath. Over the years we've heard how Johnson, Zaheer were better. Hell even I made a thread suggesting Broad had surpassed him.
Yep, I suppose one of the reasons for this is that during plenty of this last decade, there's always been one or two quicks apart from Steyn that were doing really well, be it Southee, Johnson, Harris, Philander, Broad, Boult, Haze, Starc, Patto, Wagner etc. People then, wrongly or rightly, tend to have him in as the third quick in a world xi, or leave him out completely. But none of these other bowlers ever stay at the top for too long for a myriad of reasons, while Jimmy just continues to get better and better year after year.

flibbertyjibber

It's not fair to compare a selected average to a career one, but it's still pretty great to have numbers like that on your side. Growing up I got used to the idea England players didn't have records.
In the case of a 7 year period I think you can.It when you take 2 years out of a 7/8 year career and say how good he was then like Flintoff for example.

flibbertyjibber

Definitely, only needs 57 more to take it, that's only about 18 months.
Well won't take that long if he stays fit. Ashes 5 then NZ tour 2/3 then next summer of 7. 4 wickets a test on average takes him past it which is possible given who we got coming next summer.