• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Game - WC 2019 Final Documentary

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Thought it was pretty good, would have been nice to get a bit more Kiwi perspective on it apart from KW and Neesham though. Anyone else see it yet?

subshakerz

International Coach
I think it had the greatest finish to any limited over game, but in terms of quality, the 99 semi-final was better.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it had the greatest finish to any limited over game, but in terms of quality, the 99 semi-final was better.
The really frustrating part is that the finish wasn't as good as it should've been. A second super-over would've been insane.

I know they've changed the rules to allow additional super-overs in the event of scores still being tied. Does anyone know if teams are able to pick the same players to bat/bowl every time, or whether they need to cycle through their lineup, until they're down to their 5th bowler/9th and 10th batsmen?

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I know they've changed the rules to allow additional super-overs in the event of scores still being tied. Does anyone know if teams are able to pick the same players to bat/bowl every time, or whether they need to cycle through their lineup, until they're down to their 5th bowler/9th and 10th batsmen?
That should definitely be the rule. Get down to Trent Boult batting against Rohit Sharma bowling. Imagine it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That should definitely be the rule. Get down to Trent Boult batting against Rohit Sharma bowling. Imagine it.
Yeah, it definitely feels like the fairer test of team depth, but not quite sure how it would work logistically (what with 3 batsmen being allowed to bat in each over).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The really frustrating part is that the finish wasn't as good as it should've been. A second super-over would've been insane.

There was an IPL match (Mumbai vs Kings XI) that went to 4 super overs (2 each) and that had different bowlers and batters.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They should have the opposition choose who bowls/bats the super-overs so you get the worst bowlers v the worst batsmen just to change things up

Burgey

For an NZ fan maybe. But even then, nah. 2015 was a pretty stock-standard close ODI finish. The wild swings in momentum and fortune in the last 10 overs of the 2019 final were like nothing I've ever seen before. I aged a year in a bit over an hour.
It was a hell of a ride, and I say that as a neutral fan.

ataraxia

International Coach
It was a hell of a ride, and I say that as a neutral fan.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Burgey said:
This is actually true. I know you're trying (and failing terribly) to be funny, but it is a national embarrassment losing to the Poms. At anything, at any time.
Based on Brexit, the poms seem stupid enough to design a sun roof in their submarines.
Solar hot water. Not real helpful in England, but handy elsewhere
I hate the Poms
Burgey said:
It's just so difficult to explain to Burgeinho. "Dad, the Poms cheated in the cycling" he said to me on the phone yesterday.

So I did what any father would. Told him "Don't be surprised mate, it's their way. It's why they're loathed the world over in sporting contests. You can't trust a Pom in any sporting contest. For decades they've won nothing, now they'll stoop to any low to win something. You go about it the Australian way mate - win fairly, then sledge the **** out of your opponent afterwards"
Always funny watching idiot Poms out and about with their shirts off in fifteen degree temperatures, because for them that's the height of balmy summer goodness
How fitting is it that the Poms have to go back over 100 years to fins someone worthy of contention?
Last week the Poms were making fun of ikea furniture, this week their own cabinet collapses.
Fmd only the Poms could stage a SUMMER Olympics where an open water swimmer gets pulled out of the water with hypothermia.
the Poms - a country whose media drove Princess Diana into an underpass, bugged the phone of a murdered teenager and continue to hound a woman of colour who had the temerity to marry the son of James Hewitt
Cheating Poms
Not likely. Poms would've cheated somehow.
Cheating Poms.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Yes you can't reuse players for additional super overs.

Burgey

I also commend to my fellow CW members the excellent podcast and now ABC television series “Stuff the English Stole”*, the second series of which I’m reliably informed includes the 2019 World Cup.

*basically everything

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes you can't reuse players for additional super overs.
Ok, what if a wicket falls and the 3rd batsmen never faces a ball. Is he still not allowed to take part in the next over? And what about the far fetched scenario where you get to the 4th or 5th super over, and one team has used all their players? Is it just game over at that point?