• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* Official * WI & Eng tour of Australia

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha wow, that is obstructing the field every day of the week. And you're not going to appeal it because the mongrel locals might boo you for a month?

Chubb

International Regular
Haha wow, that is obstructing the field every day of the week. And you're not going to appeal it because the mongrel locals might boo you for a month?
Not just the crowds though, Malcom Conn et al would pile on. It would take over any presser Buttler does. It's pointless to provoke the feral Aussie cricket media without a good reason.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not just the crowds though, Malcom Conn et al would pile on. It would take over any presser Buttler does. It's pointless to provoke the feral Aussie cricket media without a good reason.
Yeah...look I'm a guy who likes their sport played a certain way. I hate Mankads, yet I fully understand they are part of the rules.

lol appealing for a wicket in an international game is probably a good reason
But in this case, this is exactly how I see it. 100% Wade impeded Wood, and whilst I do not possess the ability to read Wade's mind, it certainly looks like he knew exactly where Wood was, especially as the ball began to drop. So yeah in terms of good reason, you're out there to win a game, Wade can win the game for the other team and he stopped Wood from taking his wicket. However the media and fans want to take it, is up to them. You appeal, and leave the rest up to the umpires.

At the end of the day, England won and we avoid further controversy, which is fine. But to me, that's 100% a dismissal that should be appealed, and I'm surprised to be honest that Jos Buttler's mind was in a place where the consideration of how it would be taken overruled the fact an opposition batsman quite likely obstructed the field. Perhaps that speaks to how close time-wise to the Dean v Deepti drama this has happened, and the fact Buttler was connected to that via the Ashwin IPL dismissal.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
this is a completely pointless series. You’d be all over him if he appealed it. Demanding he answer questions etc.
I've never met a cricketer who thought losing was a satisfactory preparation before a big tournament. If Australia win that, whilst I'm not saying it is a major psychological blow, it certainly exists.

And as much as the great man Burgey disappears up his own freckle on some issues in cricket, I reckon he wouldn't have had an issue with England asking the question of the guys there to adjudicate the game.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
A good win, Aussies tried so hard and failed. We going to win T20 World Cup. India is the only other contender

We bowled rubbish today and still won :)
I'd put Pakistan ahead of England and India as they are mentally tougher. India may struggle withput Bumrah. NZ needs Ferguson and Milne fit and Williamson back in form (or be brave enough to drop him and give Southee the captaincy). Don't know if Mitchell will be able to play.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
A good win, Aussies tried so hard and failed. We going to win T20 World Cup. India is the only other contender

We bowled rubbish today and still won :)
I expect Australia to beat NZ, England to beat Australia, and NZ to beat England. It will either come down to they go against Afghanistan and the qualifiers, or net run rate.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I expect Australia to beat NZ, England to beat Australia, and NZ to beat England. It will either come down to they go against Afghanistan and the qualifiers, or net run rate.
You expect us to beat England? They just beat Pakistan in Pakistan, beat Australia in Australia after travelling and are showing scores of 200 are a semi-regular occurrence. I'd say we're severely unevenly matched at present, especially with Mitchell and Ferguson battling injuries.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And as much as the great man Burgey disappears up his own freckle on some issues in cricket, I reckon he wouldn't have had an issue with England asking the question of the guys there to adjudicate the game.
When I first saw the incident in real time I thought he was doing nothing more than trying to get back to cover the stumps from the ball landing on them, but the replays show he clearly deviated his line and moved his arm and shoulder into Wood to stop him getting past him.

It’s obviously a spur of the moment thing - not the sort of thing you train to do, much like guys who knock the ball away from the stumps and are handled ball- but it’s still obstructing the field and clearly out.

I’d find it hard to believe anyone would firstly think it wasn’t out and secondly give anyone a hard time for appealing over it. Buttler certainly demonstrated he’s unfit to lead a side though. Woeful.

and let’s not have the Poms - a country whose media drove Princess Diana into an underpass, bugged the phone of a murdered teenager and continue to hound a woman of colour who had the temerity to marry the son of James Hewitt get on their high horse about media standards.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
You expect us to beat England? They just beat Pakistan in Pakistan, beat Australia in Australia after travelling and are showing scores of 200 are a semi-regular occurrence. I'd say we're severely unevenly matched at present, especially with Mitchell and Ferguson battling injuries.
We beat them in the semi last year. They've clearly got better batting, but as long as Ferguson or Milne are fit we've got better bowling.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty clear

I'd say that Jos' fears about crowds is unwarranted judging by reaction to replay