• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Bowlers Countdown Thread 100-1

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa faced a lot of quality opposition during the 90s. In fact world cricket was extremely competitive during the 90s. Golden era for both tests and ODIs IMO. I don't think we've ever had a more competitive era.
I may be wrong, but I think I read somewhere once that it was due to the competitiveness of intl cricket in the 90s the ICC inaugurated their official world rankings. After all you had Australia toppling the Windies for the first time in donkey's years, the spasmodic brilliance of Pakistan, plus a newly reformed RSA side giving everyone a run for their money. Not to mention SL winning a World Cup.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you know everything, then why express things in such an equivocal manner? You should be putting it out there front and centre.
Don't contradict me. Ever. I throw morsels to the mortals, so they go and have a look into things and learn something for themselves. It's good for them, and it also reflects favorably on me as they look things up and go "Well, **** me. Burgey was right. Again!" It helps them learn their place.

DoG, hurry up with the next one please. I grow tired of entertaining the hoi polloi.

I also would like this countdown dealt with before I depart early Sunday morning for a week in Fiji. Please see to it accordingly.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Donald was nothing if not flashy. I remember he was also described as the perfect fast bowler by some. Pace, aggression, swing, had it all. He was also the fast bowler I most fondly remember from the period when I could watch cricket ball by ball followed by highlights umpteen number of times. That action was gorgeous too.

I'm glad he got ranked this high in this exercise. In the other exercise based on votes, he tied with Holding and Lindwall. No disrespect to those 2 but Donald is clearly better.

Burgey

I remember his first tour out here when he played in Melbourne. They'd gone off for rain (typical) and came back on,. he bowled a spell to Taylor and Slater that was flat out ridiculous. As good as you could see.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So in top 10: Australians 3; Pakistani 2; South African, Sri Lankan, West Indian, Kiwi, English 1 each.

Burgey

So in top 10: Australians 3; Pakistani 2; South African, Sri Lankan, West Indian, Kiwi, English 1 each.
How fitting is it that the Poms have to go back over 100 years to fins someone worthy of contention?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Some bowlers with the average of the rest of the bowling in their team during their career:

Lillee: 29.71
Marshall: 26.54
Hadlee: 37.05
Kapil: 37.45
Murali: 50.30 (!)(considering that Vaas played 95 tests with Murali and averaged 28.01 it shows how rubbish SL's bowling was otherwise)
Warne: 27.92
McKenzie: 35.41
Imran: 33.26
Willis: 30.55
Steyn: 32.39
Bedser: 35.63

Some calculations may be a bit out but whatever.
And Sanath Jayasuriya had 90 odd wickets @34 odd.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Pollock averaged fractionally less than Donald while they played together but Donald took more 5+ wicket hauls. Great new ball pairing. Probably South Africa's greatest.
Big call that, Adcock and Pollock senior may disagree, along with Procter.....but both Donald and S. Pollock made it into the SA all time XI and that is impressive when you consider the fast bowling opposition. I`m not sure how that continues with Steyn; and I have no idea wtf SA all time XI will look like if Rabada continues on his current trajectory. .

trundler

Big call that, Adcock and Pollock senior may disagree, along with Procter.....but both Donald and S. Pollock made it into the SA all time XI and that is impressive when you consider the fast bowling opposition. I`m not sure how that continues with Steyn; and I have no idea wtf SA all time XI will look like if Rabada continues on his current trajectory. .
Steyn has to be a certainty now. Proctor gets the bowling all rounder spot. That leaves one spot and Donald should have it IMO.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It was not only Donald and Pollock, SAF support cast was quality. They has McMillan, de Villiers and Mathews who were good, and guys like Ngam, Elworthy, Schultz who were good at times.

trundler

Schultz probably the greatest waste man in history. As far as bowlers go, at least. There's also Bruce Reid, on 2nd thought.

Last edited: