• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest fielders from each nation

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cairns had the best arm for NZ, but many forget Hadlee's arm wasn't far behind...absolute rocket.

Zinzan

Good call, forgot about Vincent's speed around the field, although his hands were a bit up and down.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From India, our Lord and Savior AA had an absolutely outstanding arm from the deep. I would say circa 98-2002 or so, his was as good as any in world cricket. Was pretty quick across the turf too.

cnerd123

likes this
From India, our Lord and Savior AA had an absolutely outstanding arm from the deep. I would say circa 98-2002 or so, his was as good as any in world cricket. Was pretty quick across the turf too.
This reminds me, wasn't Kapil Dev a great outfielder too?

I actually found a nice article on Cricinfo about this topic:
Ramachandra Guha: Memories of some great Indian fielders down the years | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Learnt something new:

Someone who played even fewer Tests than Kaif was Ramnath Parkar, who some old Mumbaikars reckon was unequalled, before or since, when fielding at cover point. I once spent a day at the Wankhede Stadium watching Parkar unfold his skills in a Ranji Trophy match. Cover point is a key position especially for left-arm spinners, and I marvelled as Padmakar Shivalkar bowled, over after over, and Parkar anticipated the drives and cuts to his left and his right, picking up the ball one-handed and throwing it fast and flat to the wicketkeeper.

vcs

India - Solkar, Azhar, peak Yuvi, peak Kaif, Raina, Nohit, Jadeja

We've had some great slippers - Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag.
Azhar was probably the best allround Indian fielder I've seen in my lifetime.

Sir Jadeja runs him close though (Ajay Jadeja was also quite good). Though Jaddu does have a habit of dropping a few in the slips.

cnerd123

likes this
Azhar was probably the best allround Indian fielder I've seen in my lifetime.

Sir Jadeja runs him close though (Ajay Jadeja was also quite good). Though Jaddu does have a habit of dropping a few in the slips.
Yea both Jadejas are/were gun outfielders. I remember Ajay being good for his time; the Indian team back then was quite sloppy. He wouldn't seem so great today.

Robin Singh was quite good too wasn't he?

Also Venugopal Rao sticks out in my mind because he held a real steepler of a catch in a India vs Pak ODI that I got to see live in Abu Dhabi. It was one of those moments where you realise that you're never going to get even remotely close to International cricket, when a fringe ODI player can take catches like that as tho it was nothing...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This reminds me, wasn't Kapil Dev a great outfielder too?

I actually found a nice article on Cricinfo about this topic:
Ramachandra Guha: Memories of some great Indian fielders down the years | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Learnt something new:

Back in the day we had a slip cordon with Prabhakar or Kapil at first slip (when the other was bowling), Azhar at second and Sachin at 3rd. Manjrekar was short leg, think Sidhu or someone else used to field gully. Was a very good cordon. Kapil is probably the best all round fielder we have ever had, narrowly beating out Azhar.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Out-fielders : Endean, Bland, P.Kirsten, Rhodes, Gibbs, AB , JP, Faf, Miller, Rossouw

Slip fielders : Goddard, Barlow, Procter, Richards, Kourie, G.Pollock, Rice ,Wessels, McMillan, Cullinan, S.Pollock, Smith, Kallis

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Roshan Mahanama and Dilshan a couple of Lankan nominations.

Chris Duval and Brendan Drew were the best arms in Australian domestic cricket for a time, both having had some interest from baseball.

Zinzan

Also, for NZ:

Sinclair was pretty good.
The interesting thing is that he really wasn't a great fieldsman ordinarily. He certainly wasn't terrible, but was just there or thereabouts in terms of the NZ'ders. Which of course made that catch, which I still maintain is the best I've seen all the more remarkable.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The interesting thing is that he really wasn't a great fieldsman ordinarily. He certainly wasn't terrible, but was just there or thereabouts in terms of the NZ'ders. Which of course made that catch, which I still maintain is the best I've seen all the more remarkable.
In his time, NZ had some of the best fielders in the world playing for them. Almost every one was superb in the field, which might have made him look average. Those were the days when India had trouble rotating the strike in ODIs against NZ because the ball couldn't get past the ring no matter how decent the placement was.