• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have won a decent amount of money this week, not life-changing or owt, but it's kinda amusing, I'd just not been betting much for most of the year, just felt most of the players I bet on had retired or were just poor for awhile.

I had a £1 free bet on Skysports, I saw a special bet on Exeter-Sheffweds-Port valev treble at 7-1, so got 7 quid, used that to back jessica Korda each-way she came second, then charl Schwartzel in the Masters, now I've doubled up Larrazabal on cantlay-Schaufflee, all from nothing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
so it looks like the norman-saudi league will happen...and when the top stars see the crazy amounts doled out to mediocrities for 3/4 of the work and 1/10 the stress, i am sure at least some of them will be attracted...i see this as the t-20 version of golf, significantly less effort, lower stakes as far as history and prestige in the game go but overridden by obscene amounts of money...i don't think the major tours can sustain bans against these players in the long term...i see them having to negotiate both with the players as well as with liv golf...

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

so it looks like the norman-saudi league will happen...and when the top stars see the crazy amounts doled out to mediocrities for 3/4 of the work and 1/10 the stress, i am sure at least some of them will be attracted...i see this as the t-20 version of golf, significantly less effort, lower stakes as far as history and prestige in the game go but overridden by obscene amounts of money...i don't think the major tours can sustain bans against these players in the long term...i see them having to negotiate both with the players as well as with liv golf...
Seeing those who miss the cut stoned to death in the town square might turn a few players off.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Seeing those who miss the cut stoned to death in the town square might turn a few players off.
unfortunately the saudi league will be 54 hole events with no cuts...so they won't have a chance to administer that kind of stern discipline...

social

A ton of hypocrisy in the responses of the major tours to these tournaments when you consider that they already stage tournaments in Saudi, Qatar, China, etc

This is about control of golf not human rights

grecian

I must admit when I sided with the Famously obnoxious Faldo over Norman all those years ago, I never really thought I was cheering on the Good Guy, Hey Norman even had the white hat.

Yet as we know, you have to ignore that most Top-class golfers seem to be utter ***** or you just wouldn't watch it.

social

I must admit when I sided with the Famously obnoxious Faldo over Norman all those years ago, I never really thought I was cheering on the Good Guy, Hey Norman even had the white hat.

Yet as we know, you have to ignore that most Top-class golfers seem to be utter ***** or you just wouldn't watch it.
Norman seems like a pretty complicated guy

He’s been incredibly generous to many young players over the years but has also done many dickish things

Faldo is allegedly an all round ****

As you say, better off just watching unless they have done something completely heinous

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
A ton of hypocrisy in the responses of the major tours to these tournaments when you consider that they already stage tournaments in Saudi, Qatar, China, etc

This is about control of golf not human rights
what hypocrisy? i don't see the tours trying to hide the fact that they are tussling with norman and the saudis for the control of golf...they denied the release of their players not because the tournament was in saudi arabia but because it was being organized by their rival, liv golf...

Son Of Coco

Norman seems like a pretty complicated guy

He’s been incredibly generous to many young players over the years but has also done many dickish things

Faldo is allegedly an all round ****

As you say, better off just watching unless they have done something completely heinous
Yeah, I met Faldo once as a junior golfer when I was volunteer marshalling. He came across as a total ****wit.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the current top 10 ranked golfers are all comparatively nice people, just noticed that...of course most of them are young and have plenty of time to bring out their inner jerks but for now, none of them seem to be particularly obnoxious...

social

The general public sees golfers as nice, quiet people as that’s pretty much the image that the sport itself has wanted to cultivate

Cricket mate was a manager of some good players and it was very much a case of what happens on tour, stays on tour until Tiger thing blew up

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah well this was always on the cards, he wasn’t going to keep contending (forget winning) just playing majors every year…