• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Football ATG General Arguing/Discussing Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Could just go with Steven Gerrard tbf.

I get Scholes over him, don't agree but it's tired old ground. Lampard I don't, especially when you've already got Scholes. But hey, it's all about opinions I guess.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry harsh I don't want to harp on but **** it I'm going to. Okay you've now recanted and put Bryan Robson. He's worthy of being in the argument, sure. But you actually thought to put Rio Ferdinand in midfield ahead of Gerrard, Gascoigne, Ince, Hargreaves, Carrick, Platt, Steven, Batty, Barry, Redknapp, Wise, Murphy, Butt, Jenas, Milner, Henderson, Parker, Wilshere, Alli, Dier, Phillips, Rice

Granted some of those names are bang average, but you know what they were? Midfielders. Midfielders who played at a good level domestically, and in some cases won trophies, titles, played countless games for England.

I mean even if DM is your criteria. You stick a centre back there ahead of Paul Ince?

You've ruined my day harsh. Please apologise.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Robbo a bit like Keegan. Bit of a hero and a cult figure, but very...er..."satisfactory" as a player.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In Keegan’s last ever match with England he played Southgate in midfield against Germany. That ruined a few evenings as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF Keegan was a much better player than manager, low bar as that is.

Only Englishman to win tha Ballon d'Or more than once, I think.

Not that all that many have won it at all. Matthews, Charlton, R and Owen only others off top of my head.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Robbo a bit like Keegan. Bit of a hero and a cult figure, but very...er..."satisfactory" as a player.
Bryan Robson? Never heard this opinion before, always thought he was universally agreed to be brilliant when fit.

EDIT: nor Keegan actually, didn’t he win two Ballon d’Ors playing for Hamburg?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Blame your country for not producing a decent DM in three decades @GIMH

Embarrassing, really
Even though it was not his best position, as if Gerrard wasn't several notches above decent there. As if Paul Ince wasn't top class for a decade. Carrick was decent enough to play for the CL winners. Hargreaves played for Bayern and Man U. James Milner won titles with City and Liverpool.

Utter nonsense.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a glorious topic.

Raya

Dalsgaard
Tarkowski
Pinnock
Henry

Norgaard
Dasilva
Sawyers

Jota
Toney
Benrhama

OK so not having Watkins is fairly ridiculous and Jota is at least in part a sentimental pick but Watkins was so much better once he went central and Benrhama really needs to play on the left. I almost picked him over Toney anyway but that would be because of what he has done at Villa. There is also part of me that feels that Maupay was actually the best of them or perhaps I just liked him the most.

The rest was quite a bit easier although a bit harsh on some of the earlier guys like Judge, Pritchard and Forshaw.

I really hope Dasilva's injury is not as bad as rumoured because I want to see him in the Premier League so bad.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Or could use the formation we had at the end of the season and have Toney and Watkins upfront together with Benrhama as a 10. On paper that is better but Benrhama never really did that role....yeah I know nobody else is going to give a **** about any of this.