• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Football ATG General Arguing/Discussing Thread

capt_Luffy

International Regular
always found it weird that football fans can see this so easily where as cricket fans defend their nostalgia jerk to the moon
Fwiw, football changed much more, especially tactically; than cricket. Also, I believe still most people think Pelé is one of the GOATs.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Fwiw, football changed much more, especially tactically; than cricket. Also, I believe still most people think Pelé is one of the GOATs.
cricket has undergone an equal no of changes if not more, im not buying that. football fans can rightly see that the standard of play is so much higher than what it was in the past, even the recent past where as cricket fans pretend like that isnt a thing even when it is blatantly obvious

Pele being one of the best ever has nothing to do with what i said, not sure why you brought that up

capt_Luffy

International Regular
cricket has undergone an equal no of changes if not more, im not buying that. football fans can rightly see that the standard of play is so much higher than what it was in the past, even the recent past where as cricket fans pretend like that isnt a thing even when it is blatantly obvious

Pele being one of the best ever has nothing to do with what i said, not sure why you brought that up
Of course the level of play has changed and it's silly pretend didn't. Football fans also have this "Golden Age" Problem, just that being in the 1970s and 80s. But yeah, football have changed much more tactically, it's factual.

And I brought Pelé because most people still have him in their World XIs, despite him playing in a much easier era.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A key consideration in these sorts of debates, or so I think anyway, is not whether player X from the present day is necessarily better than player Y from the 1950s or whenever was (because they invariably objectively will be, in a lot of aspects anyway) but how much a player stands out in relation to their contemporaries/peers.

howitzer

International 12th Man
A key consideration in these sorts of debates, or so I think anyway, is not whether player X from the present day is necessarily better than player Y from the 1950s or whenever was (because they invariably objectively will be, in a lot of aspects anyway) but how much a player stands out in relation to their contemporaries/peers.
Yeah this. It's also the way I tend to go about selecting cricket XI's too.