• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Football ATG General Arguing/Discussing Thread

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Favourite XI:

GK Schmeichel

RB Cafu
CB Maldini
CB Puyol
LB Lahm

DM Makelele
MF Scholes
MF Zidane

RW Messi
ST Ronaldo (Brazil)
LW Henry

What's yours?

andmark

International Captain
An ATXI with some of my own personal bias.

GK: Yashin

LB: Paolo Maldini
CB: Bobby Moore
CB: Franco Baresi
RB: Cafu

CDM: Franz Beckenbauer (cheating a little bit there I accept)
CM: Johan Cruyff (C)
CM: Zinedine Zidane

LW: Lionel Messi
CF: Pele
RW: Cristiano Ronaldo

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nixon

Taylor
Goodison
McNulty
Nolan

Morrissey
Koumas
Irons
Nevin

Aldridge
Norwood

Subs: Davies, Hill, Ridehalgh, Brannan, C Jennings, Muir, Greenacre

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Goram

Tavernier
Gough
Amoruso
Numan

Ferguson
Van Bronckhorst
Albertz
Laudrup

Mols
Morelos

Subs: McGregor, Bougherra, Weir, Gascoigne, de Boer, McCoist, Hateley

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know why, always loved him. I found his mistakes endlessly amusing. Don't think I've ever seen any other keeper cost a top 6 team so many points.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Almunia is a kind of cult figure even amongst Arsenal fans tbh

He really was incredibly bad at times, but he cut a fairly likeable figure most of the time. I think it might have been an issue of playing out of his depth with him. From all accounts he was pretty decent when he dropped down a division and played for Watford. Not that he was ever a world-beater or anything (though I remember lolsy discussions on here where people were getting excited about him playing for England, of all things), but I think the pressure of being the keeper for a top team definitely got to him.

Uppercut

Almunia is a kind of cult figure even amongst Arsenal fans tbh

He really was incredibly bad at times, but he cut a fairly likeable figure most of the time. I think it might have been an issue of playing out of his depth with him. From all accounts he was pretty decent when he dropped down a division and played for Watford. Not that he was ever a world-beater or anything (though I remember lolsy discussions on here where people were getting excited about him playing for England, of all things), but I think the pressure of being the keeper for a top team definitely got to him.
Yeah when bad players get selected for that long you start just feeling sorry for them. It was a really bizarre blind spot because Wenger was still one of the best managers in the world at the time. Even having an average goalkeeper would have won them 1-2 more titles.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe Almunia just seemed like the reincarnation Lev Yashin in training each day or something, but just could not translate it into actual games.

It was a weird situation in any case, as Arsenal repeatedly seemed to be on the brink of signing a journeyman replacement, like Schwarzer or someone, only for it to fail because of a slightly raised asking price or wage demand or something.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know why, always loved him. I found his mistakes endlessly amusing. Don't think I've ever seen any other keeper cost a top 6 team so many points.
He never really made "mistakes" per se. He was just so below the standard required that he allowed goals that most competent keepers would have saved in their sleep. Not many real memorable howlers tbh, he was just crap.

Uppercut

Anyway. My arbitrary XI from my lifetime:

Kahn 2002

Irwin 1994
Vidic 2008
Godin 2014
Zanetti 1998

Keane 2000
Xavi 2011
Zidane 2000

Messi 2011
Ronaldo 1998
C Ronaldo 2011

Uppercut

He never really made "mistakes" per se. He was just so below the standard required that he allowed goals that most competent keepers would have saved in their sleep. Not many real memorable howlers tbh, he was just crap.
I think he both made mistakes and let in goals he should have saved. Like if you combined Kepa's shot-stopping with Rob Green's error proneness.