• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The first player younger than you to play for your Country

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You generally grow up watching cricket as a boy, then one day the first player turns up who's younger than you are.

For me it was Neil Foster in 1983. They didn't start coming with any regularity until Phil DeFreitas in 1986. England didn't gamble of many young players in that period.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I believe it was Matt Renshaw. Missed out of Cummins and Agar by a few months.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ben Stokes, who I think is among the youngest of the generation that were all about my age and started debuting in 2011/12 in one day cricket. Bairstow, Root, Rashid, Woakes, Buttler, Hales and Ballance all in this category. They're all born in 1989-1991 and I was born at the end of 1990.

I have been thinking about this for a while because I've been meaning to write a thinkpiece on this generation that was good enough to win the world cup but appears, with the exception of Root and Stokes, to be being passed over in Test cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Only counting tests.

Kuldeep Yadav was the first who is six months younger to me.

Since then, Rishabh Pant (4 years younger), Prithvi Shaw (6 years younger).

Pandya and Vihari are both 5-6 months older to me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
You generally grow up watching cricket as a boy, then one day the first player turns up who's younger than you are.

For me it was Neil Foster in 1983. They didn't start coming with any regularity until Phil DeFreitas in 1986. England didn't gamble of many young players in that period.
For me it was Norman Cowans in the 1982/83 Ashes, who was born in February 1961.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pat Cummins who I guess is the answer for any aussie born from 1990-1992

Really got his start in test cricket young for an aussie