• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The CW 50 - CricketWeb's view of the top 50 cricketers of all time

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Miandad and Hayden the big surprises for me. Bedi's omission doesn't surprise me. Always felt he was over rated by those who place greater emphasis on style and intent rather than actual results. I'd go with Chandrasekhar and Kumble ahead of him anyday.

biased indian

International Coach
my lack of cricket chat visit have resulted in not seeing this thread ..would have definitely send my list any way let see what we get now..

would be surprised if ponting is ahead of sachin or lara :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I wouldn't mind sending a list in if you're still taking names. If you've already finalised the 50 and don't want anyone else, that's fine too.

JBMAC

State Captain
Miandad and Hayden the big surprises for me. Bedi's omission doesn't surprise me. Always felt he was over rated by those who place greater emphasis on style and intent rather than actual results. I'd go with Chandrasekhar and Kumble ahead of him anyday.
If I recall correctly Bedi and Prasanna bowling in tandem were lethal as good as if not better thaan Laker and Loch

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I wouldn't mind sending a list in if you're still taking names. If you've already finalised the 50 and don't want anyone else, that's fine too.
I got yours and have included it - the order changed fractionally but there was no change to the make up of the final 50 so I was happy to keep it in.

Ok, the countdown will start tonight...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
at least one should have voted for javed miandad. great player. guess we dont have too many pakistani posters afterall.

cant believe no one voted for hayden. but it shows once again that sean's original observation, that CW posters are knowledgeable, is bang on
So why didn't you vote for either of them then?!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
As I said in the other thread, I think we should have a minimum of 4 or 5 votes per player for a player to be included...

(just my opinion.)

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You have a good point there, but the horse has bolted.
Not necessarily. Sean has the votes and can do the calculations a number of different ways and publish differing results.
If it's to be representitive of Cricket Web it shouldn't really be skewed by one smart arse putting a numpty like Jardine at Number 1.

Days of Grace

International Captain
But the 50-41 list has already been "published".

So, you want Sean to start another thread titled "50-41 with at least 3 votes" and continue that all the way to no.1?

Would have threads all over the place.

There should only be one list, for better or worse.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I think I said this originally that the highest vote be excluded, but all it takes is 2 mates to say lets pick Adam Huckle at number 1 for a laugh, and we are in the same position again.

In the end of the day, it looks like Jardine is the only surprise choice, and for those who think he's way outside the top 50, treat him as an irrelevant last option. I don't agree with Flintoff but I'm not completely surprised.

I can't wait for the next list, there is going to be some brilliant players listed for sure.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kinda wishing I'd put Gavin Hamilton at number 1 instead of 3, the reaction if he'd made the list would have been gold. :D

Failing to see what the objection to Jardine is btw. Had a monumental impact on possibly the most talked about series of all time and was responsible for a rule change with regard to fielders behind square on the legside. His footprint on the path of cricketing history is a massive one.