• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Barmy Army

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just a big bunch of whinging poms if the last 3 days performance is anything to go buy. FFS a trumpet is way over the top, especially at a stadium such as the gabba where the echo would be something fierce. Today 2 Australia Fans were ******ed out by the police just near where i was sitting because they were blowing whistles. It was a huge releif tbh as our ears were ringing because of these idiots who thought it would be fun to blow whilst when were sitting in a concrete stadium.

As for the members of the Army that were whinging about being booed whilst chanting, build a bridge and get over it. What do you expect when your chanting songs in support of England when it's an Australian home game 8-)

I must say though that the banter between our section, and the group of Barmy Army seated right next to us today was great, no ejections bar for the nutcase whistle blowers, and a few guys who seemed to like disregarding the instructions from the police. There was at one stage a mexican wave going around, and from what i could see no-one was ejected, just a few warnings for those who were throwing cups up in the air.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Now they are complaining because they find some of the Ashes chants offensive.

After asking Jason Gillespie where his caravan is and Warne where his wife is, I don't think they can talk about being offended.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pack of hypocritical, girlish whingers. We're happy giving us abuse last year, but now that everything is back to normal they can't take it.

Son Of Coco

SirBloody Idiot said:
Now they are complaining because they find some of the Ashes chants offensive.

After asking Jason Gillespie where his caravan is and Warne where his wife is, I don't think they can talk about being offended.
The general rule of thumb is when a British supporter makes a joke about us being convicts etc just laugh along and try to be a good sport, but if you make a joke back about their drinking habits/appearance/etc prepare for a fight :p

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wish we could at least force them to bathe if they're going to sit in the stadium with us though... ;)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Clapo said:
I must say though that the banter between our section, and the group of Barmy Army seated right next to us today was great, no ejections bar for the nutcase whistle blowers, and a few guys who seemed to like disregarding the instructions from the police. There was at one stage a mexican wave going around, and from what i could see no-one was ejected, just a few warnings for those who were throwing cups up in the air.
Were you sitting with the fanatics? Looked like a some good chanting/banter between the two camps down there. I must say that the Barmy Army being seperated had its advantages. Where the large group started the chant, the dozen guys next to me in Stand 67 joined in and it made it sound like the whole stadium was doing it rather than just one section.

Having said that the first session had the atmosphere of a Pura Cup game.

Johnners

James90 said:
Were you sitting with the fanatics? Looked like a some good chanting/banter between the two camps down there. I must say that the Barmy Army being seperated had its advantages. Where the large group started the chant, the dozen guys next to me in Stand 67 joined in and it made it sound like the whole stadium was doing it rather than just one section.

Having said that the first session had the atmosphere of a Pura Cup game.
Yeah i was around that area. A group of the Fanatics and a group of the Barmy Army were a section either side of the section i was sitting in, and they had a good ol chanting contest. As did a group of guys who were sitting just being the Barmy Army lot, so the atmosphere in the section i was sitting in was great.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
The English love them, because there the best set of fans in the world.

The Aussies hate them, because there the best set of fans in the world.

and about them being chavs -impossible, EVERY CHAV hates cricket

steds said:
No instruments allowed. No mexican wave. No singing no dancing no beachballs NO FUN. This is why so many people I know don't like cricket. People go to a sporting event to be entertained, and as cricket is such a slow moving game, much of the time people have to make their own entertainment. "Oh, let's watch Steve Harmison trudge 30 yards back to the end of his runup. That's fun."

Seriously, Australia should stop being so gay.
The crickets the entertainment, diddums.

If it's too slow moving for you and you're too spoilt to wait between deliveries, with a childlike need for constant "entertainment" then I suggest you look elsewhere, as you're clearly not cut out for spectating on cricket.

For "singing and dancing" go to a club, for beachballs go to......a beach. For the thrill of a Mexican wave....yeah, sad.

If you get off on moronic behaviour so much then go out happy slapping or something, as this is test match cricket, junior.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The BA are ok by me, but so what if they are separated? They have their song books and all that, so they should be able to co-ordinate their efforts.

I know it's so unlike English fans to whinge, but there are thousands more tickets allocated to them at our grounds here than there are to Aussie fans in England. At least they get to see the games.

Adelaide will be good for them because they can sit together on the hill.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Burgey said:
The BA are ok by me, but so what if they are separated? They have their song books and all that, so they should be able to co-ordinate their efforts.

I know it's so unlike English fans to whinge, but there are thousands more tickets allocated to them at our grounds here than there are to Aussie fans in England. At least they get to see the games.

Adelaide will be good for them because they can sit together on the hill.
tbf iirc quite a few of the allocations to Aussie tour companies etc were handed back unsold at last years Ashes, i certainly remember some returns at OT

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Was pretty annoying Brisbane was invaded with poms and england flags all over at every backpacker and pub. I didn't feel like I was in australia.!
Even at the tri nations final I was the only one cheering for australia, all the others were poms cheering for the kiwis, where were the queenslanders?

Matteh

Crazy Sam said:
The trumpet was confiscated at the start of play, and he smuggled it in after given orders not to take it in
If it was confiscated off him, how did he then get it again to smuggle it in?

Matteh

BingLeeElectric said:
The crickets the entertainment, diddums.

If it's too slow moving for you and you're too spoilt to wait between deliveries, with a childlike need for constant "entertainment" then I suggest you look elsewhere, as you're clearly not cut out for spectating on cricket.

For "singing and dancing" go to a club, for beachballs go to......a beach. For the thrill of a Mexican wave....yeah, sad.

If you get off on moronic behaviour so much then go out happy slapping or something, as this is test match cricket, junior.
Totally undeserved sense of accomplishment in this post.

Son Of Coco

Matteh said:
If it was confiscated off him, how did he then get it again to smuggle it in?
They took his trumpet off him...it was the playing of his skin flute that got him thrown out again.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
They took his trumpet off him...it was the playing of his skin flute that got him thrown out again.
I didn't realise George Michael was in the Barmy Army.

Craig

World Traveller
Alysum said:
Was pretty annoying Brisbane was invaded with poms and england flags all over at every backpacker and pub. I didn't feel like I was in australia.!
Even at the tri nations final I was the only one cheering for australia, all the others were poms cheering for the kiwis, where were the queenslanders?
Your deadset struggling to find anybody from Queensland who was actually born here. All seem to be from Victoria/NSW which tells me a lot about the state if they all leave :p

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The irritating thing as far as the Barmy Army are concerened is the way that Cricket Australia have sold them high and dry. The leader of the Army said that he had talked to Cricket Australia beforehand, and they had promised them that Billy Cooper would be allowed to play his trumpet in the ground.