• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Barmy Army

sideshowtim

Banned
As I said before, they weren't Barmy Army, just drunk English fans.

Also, don't you Australians get up on your high horse and tell us how to behave, convicts. You behave just as bad, if not worse, and are more abusive on a whole.
I'd rather be a convict than a Pom.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An interesting Point of view from i think it was Jonathon Agnew on the ABC last week.

He was talking about what was wrong with England, and he offered this point in regards to the Barmy Army. He said that as good as it is to see them still offering support to their team even thought England is being beaten, he would like to see them tone down the support, or words to that effect, if they're being beaten so comprehensively and not just for 1 match, but for 5/6 on the trot.

Aggers suggested that this could be sending the wrong message to the team in that they don't care if they lose or play badly (not aggers exact words but you get the idea of his argument)

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Aggers suggested that this could be sending the wrong message to the team in that they don't care if they lose or play badly (not aggers exact words but you get the idea of his argument)
I'm pretty sure the English cricket team are above that. They just appreciate the support. I'm sure they know themselves that their performance isn't good enough.

ripper868

International Coach
Love em, adds to atmosphere at the games. if you dont like the noise then watch at home with the sound off.

Dream one day to goto a wales vs england rugby match....singing would sick their IMO:football:

Son Of Coco

As I said before, they weren't Barmy Army, just drunk English fans.

Also, don't you Australians get up on your high horse and tell us how to behave, convicts. You behave just as bad, if not worse, and are more abusive on a whole.
They're not Australians...just drunk people.

Matt79

Global Moderator
They need a bit more variety for mine. There's only so many times you can hear: "Everywhere we go..." "Barmy Army, Barmy Army" or "We are the Army, the Barmy Army" (to the tune of you are my sunshine) before you want to shoot some of them. Otherwise love them - particularly their "Little Donkey" tuned tribute to Monty...

Son Of Coco

They need a bit more variety for mine. There's only so many times you can hear: "Everywhere we go..." "Barmy Army, Barmy Army" or "We are the Army, the Barmy Army" (to the tune of you are my sunshine) before you want to shoot some of them. Otherwise love them - particularly their "Little Donkey" tuned tribute to Monty...
I agree, considering they were having a go at some of our tunes (which, I admit, are pretty poor - especially 'Aussie aussie aussie...'). The 'Barmy Army' song's not much better though. It would be kind of funny if it was a theme we saw throughout various species - i.e: a beetle wanders around singing 'Beetle..beetle beetle....beetle beetle' (although it could get tricky in different languages).